Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt Fernow/Alpine Baldy, 6/28/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostSun Jun 29, 2003 10:32 pm 
At the risk of yet another report of Fernow/Alpine Baldy, I herewith submit this meagre report, in the hope that the reader is udderly fascinated and in total rapture of each word. Drive up to a grand viewpoint at 4800' just west of Bertha Lake and the prime objective, Mt Fernow. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine the road number. Note that this area is heavily clearcut, but you can get peakaboo views of Rainier from a bit higher, and a perfect view of Glacier Peak, the Dakobed range, the Poets (I'd been on Whittier only 3 days before), the Monte Cristo peaks, Daniel, Hinman, and numerous other Home Court and Back Court peaks. Also a great view of Mt Fernow. It might make a good car camp for a group of NWhikers some nice evening. Takes a little while to drive there, and the road has some high-clearance issues up high. We followed the sometimes faint, sometimes nonexistant fisherpersons trail to point 5320 (steep getting there). Then to point 5403. A bit of a scramble getting down, then follow a more distinct fisherpersons path to Jakes Lake. From the lake, scramble up talus blocks and some heather and a little snow to the summit, nothing scary 'tall. Views abound from this outstanding vantage, which included the Olympic Range on this perfect day. Not far are Captain Point, That'sit, Scorpion, Valhalla. Ignore clearcuts and focus on further views. On the return, I left our group, and raced across the ridge from point 5403, with a few interesting scramble sections, to the forested bump Alpine Baldy (which was pointed out by a certain Mr. Ed that is neither alpine, nor bald). Not a terribly interesting destination. I'd skip it unless you are an inveterate peak bagger. This peak has no peeks to pique your interest. In places there is a pathway along the ridge.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 6:56 am 
Rubberlegs...How come there are two mountains named Fernow in Washington? Who/what is Fernow? You are my only hope to answering this mystery.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 8:23 am 
Fernow all I know is it's a mystery. Saw your name up there...

JimK

JimK
PostMon Jun 30, 2003 8:56 am 
According to Beckey the taller Fernow was named for Bernhard E. Fernow, first Chief of Division of Forestry (1886).

Ice Girl

Ice Girl
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 3:13 pm 
Rubberlegs Do you have a map of the trail you took? And maybe some pictures? Ice Girl

rubberlegs

rubberlegs
PostWed Jul 02, 2003 10:17 pm 
Well, it was supposed to be an exercise for the reader, Ice Girl. But since your foot and arms will get exercise driving up there, and legs the rest of the way, I'll toss in this map. No photos, the slides probably won't be developed for a month or so.
FernowAlpineBaldy
FernowAlpineBaldy