Forum Index > Trip Reports > Coldwater Lake Loop Tail~Mt. ST. Helens NM~7/04/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Jul 04, 2003 9:35 pm 
I was supposed to be on a backpacking trip this weekend, but due to having to attend my greataunt's funeral tommorow, I had to cancel frown.gif But! The boyfriend said: I am going kayaking, you want to go hiking? Well, duh! Of course... So we headed up to Mt. St. Helens and he dropped me off at the South Coldwater Creek Trailhead~then he headed back up to the lake to go kayaking! We had been up to Helens last weekend, playing tourists, and I had seen the trail and was intrested. Once you get out of the trees at the start it is fabu-you do hike basically uphill for the first 3 miles with barely a breather-you flip back and forth on both sides of the ridge, getting very nice views of the crater. I could see the BF way down there in the blue water-his kayak is bright red. He had gotten us 2 way radios recentley so we chatted back and forth - that was so nice! We had plans to meet at the beach access about 5.5 miles in, so I needed to book once I hit the 3 mile mark-I kept stopping to take photos and stare at the old logging gear lol.gif instead of hiking. Once I crested the last part of the ridge it was all downhill-hot,hot,hot! Even as I got closer to the inlet stream, and into the trees and shrubs it just was hot AND humid!! Very steep last 2 miles..Hit the creek, ran into a WTA work group-this trail was very overgrown in the humid areas. Could see my man waiting for me...all I could think of was that very tasty picnic lunch sitting in the cargo area of the kayak-that and he kept taunting me on the radio lol.gif So.....like 1000 ft from the acess to the beach I notice the trail is FLAT for once, so I think: I don't need my hiking poles.......2 seconds later I trip over a bigass rock and do a face plant in a big ol' pile of ash biggrin.gif It hurt SO freaking bad-I have a very lovely megaegg bruise under my left knee-the rocks went through my pants even. Eh, I survived lol.gif So I went down to the water and feasted like a queen...YUMM!!!!!! Gotta say, that's the only way to hike...boated in lunch! Ford was unhappy to see the BF leave-I think he wanted a free ride back, not another 4 miles hihi.gif Hit the trail and right down it, I ran into the WTA crew again-at their backcountry camp. They were very nice and wanted to know if I was ok with water! Right after that I passed part of a skeleton in the bushes-that was cool! The boyfriend beat me to the parking lot by a good 45 minutes. I ran out of water 3/4 of a mile from the end. 65 oz and I was still dehydrated! It was an awesome hike-very pretty, a gorgeous lake, a clear hot day of 9 1/2 miles and I got out in the wilds with my two men biggrin.gif
Kayaking-1
Kayaking-1

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Jill
Got Rock?

Jill
Got Rock?
PostFri Jul 04, 2003 10:33 pm 
Sarbar, Did that hike plus some last summer, It is a beautiful lake isn't it? I know what you mean about uphill no break, we went further up into the Mt Margaret area for an overnighter and it does not stop going up for quite a while! I love it out there, It offers a different aspect of nature and the "real hiking" is usually pretty desolate. How many people did you see? Next time you go check out the Abraham Trail via Windy Ridge Viewpoint..... My personal favorite.
Coldwater-Lake
Coldwater-Lake

"Security is mostly a superstition. <snip> Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all." Helen Keller
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 05, 2003 7:33 am 
Besides the WTA work group I think I only passed 3 other groups, maybe 7 people total-they were doing the hike clockwise apperantley. Love your photo! I think I got a shot from the exact place. The desolatness of the area was awesome.

Synchro

Synchro
PostSat Jul 05, 2003 8:07 am 
I guess my name does get to be used. i just get to be "the BF." tongue.gif

It could be that your life is meant only to serve as a warning to others.
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostSat Jul 05, 2003 8:24 am 
Thanks for the great trip report. I may be down in the area this week so it is great to know the conditions. Sounds like a great day.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 05, 2003 11:49 am 
Hehheh....my "secret" name for you is "BF" tongue.gif