Forum Index > Gear Talk > I person tents
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
michaelm5

michaelm5
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 3:54 pm 
I did a search before posting this so please give me your patience if this subject has been discussed at length before. ( I am a new member) I am looking for the "right" 1 person tent. I am 6' 1" and want a tent big enough that my sleeping bag will not contact the tent surface. The tent has to weigh no more that 3 1/2 lbs, prefer it closer to 3 actually. I am interested in: Mountain Hardware PCT1 MSR Zoid1 The North Face Canyonlands Sirrea Designs Light Year CD Kinda interested in the Hilleberg Akto to but the single walls design? Please share your opinions, share your knowledge of these tents or others that are on the larger size of the 1 person capacity. Looks like the MSR Zoid 1.5 Titanium was the perfect solution but that was a special limited edition tent and is sold out. HELP!

Michael
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 4:34 pm 
Here is a tent you might want to consider if you want lightweight. Tom has the new model and likes it and I have the earlier Europa 1 model and find it just right for one person. I like the fact that it weighs in at 2 lbs. Anyway, I offer this as a suggestion. The guy who designed and produces it lives in Portland and has thru hiked the PCT and AT. http://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/Europa2.asp

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
RonMoak

RonMoak
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:08 pm 
Michael, Not sure where you live, but if you're in the Portland Area, you can now see the Europa II at the Mountain Shop on Broadway. They've just started carrying the tent. Ron Moak http://www.sixmoondesigns.com

Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:25 pm 
Hilleberg tents however, are vewwy, vewwy expensive.

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:35 pm 
Go to WWW.Warmlite.com and look at the Stephenson's Warmlite 2R. 2.75 pounds and 42 square feet. We have had our 3R for three years and will be purchasing the 2R in the very near future. Excellent quality and a four season tent to boot, but then again it is easy for me to spend someone elses money! P.S. There is some nakedness on the site, but they don't hike on popular trails.

michaelm5

michaelm5
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 6:58 pm 
warmlite.com, very interesting site, hmmmmm How tall are you and does your bag touch anywhere in your tent. SO, now I am very interested in the Akto. I guess looking at it it is obvious that it is not single wall. Can a person 6, 1 fit in it without the bag touching?

Michael
Slide Alder Slayer

Slide Alder Slayer
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 8:53 pm 
The 2R at 42 square feet will easily accommodate two hikers, one hiker and gear will be no problem. Our 3R is 52 square feet and easily, and I mean easily accommodates 5' 10'' Packpup (my wife) and myself at just under six feet plus all our gear including boots. As you might have noticed the ends are single walled and the center is double walled. At most we have experienced minor condensation on the single wall ends and it has never been a problem. The double wall center in covered with non conducting aluminized fabric and does a good job of keeping heat in. Workmanship is excellent.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 9:15 pm 
When I was looking around for an ultralight tent I had a hard time deciding between the Stephenson Warmlite 2R and the Europa II. Nonwithstanding cost, it pretty much came down to this for me.

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 10:01 pm 
I've got both the Stephenson 2R and the Europa 1. If I want to use a tent for just one person, I use the Europa. If I go with 2, I take the Stephenson. BTW, my son is over 6' and he has room to spare in either tent. The top pic was taken at Stuart Lake and the bottom one is at Colchuck. Both tents are great but the newer Europa 2 would be my choice today.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 24, 2003 11:10 pm 
Good pics Doc, but that bloody 2R is a saggin beast! I have a 2X (2lbs) and it's great! There is room in there for the third ID (infantry division!) I'm big into tarps now (blame Dante) but you can find some good solo specials out there! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
marzsit
Dork

marzsit
Dork
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 12:23 am 
i have an msr zoid 1 and it has plenty of room for me. i'm 6'0 but have wide shoulders (about 62"). the titanium zoids were special edition models but msr does sell the non-titanium zoid 1.5 now at 3.5lbs.

Eric
Peak Geek

Eric
Peak Geek
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 9:37 am 
I have a Zoid1 as well and it is reasonably spacious for one person. I'm about 6'0" with uh biomass to spare, and my bag, usually a Marmot Hydrogen, doesn't touch the sides even though I am a restless sleeper. I'd say it is adequate for what you are looking for, although some of the others would be more spacious and lighter. However, my primary consideration for getting the Zoid1 over some of the other choices you've mentioned was the price because I happeened to get lucky and get a great deal on one which may not matter to you or it may be the case that another one is a better value depending on what you can find out there for deals if it does matter to you.

Dante

Dante
PostWed Jun 25, 2003 10:43 am 
No thread like this is complete without a link to Biker Dave's Ultralight Shelter Comparison Chart
Backpacker Joe wrote:
I have a 2X (2lbs) and it's great!
IMO you should have bought a 2R. The 2X is a condensation machine--at least with two people in it. moon.gif Hmm . . . A base 2R with no options is $499 ($549 seam sealed), weighs 2.75 pounds and has 42 square feet of floor space. That's 85% of the price, 52% of the weight and 126% of the floor space of my favorite 2-person tent, the Bibler Ahwahnee 2. Maybe I just changed my mind. One more thing about the 2X/2R. They are long compared to the other tents I have used. It can be hard to find a level spot large enough for the whole tent.

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool

Hiker Boy
Hinking Fool
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 9:13 am 
I'm 6'1" and am currently using a new REI Roadster. It is roomy enough for me and the vestibule is just large enough to cover my gear. I have stayed dry in the rain which is the main thing. I like the Roadster design because it sets up quick too. You can't beat it's price!

Honey Badger Don't Care!