Forum Index > Trip Reports > Thunder, Bunnies, and Blue Mountain 5-12-07 (Olympics)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun May 13, 2007 1:02 am 
Though the weather wasn't nearly as nice as Friday, we headed out after Jeremy had finished with work (another RTD hike! (Race the Darkness to those unfamiliar with our previous posts.)) At the nice and early start of about 3:40pm, we headed out on the Deer Ridge cutoff trail past Slab Camp. We were soon stopped by the emerging foliage making a spring display.
Red flowering currant
Red flowering currant
Once past the flowers, we headed up the nice steep grade, heading up and up until we reached the first views at what we have now named "Phil Hall Bench turn" for the bench named in honor of him.
Jeremy heads up the trail
Jeremy heads up the trail
Tisha takes a breather on Phil Hall's bench
Tisha takes a breather on Phil Hall's bench
Baldy and Greywolf in the clouds
Baldy and Greywolf in the clouds
Jeremy poses pretty
Jeremy poses pretty
Baldy gets covered by the clouds
Baldy gets covered by the clouds
From there, the trail was less intense than the 35% grade of the lower trail (the views probably helped, too.) We crossed the park boundary and followed the side-hilling trail to Deer Park. We were a little worried by the increasing clouds, but the distant clap of thunder really made us reconsider how much further we would go. We eventually stopped at Deer Park to regroup and plan the rest of the day's adventure.
Views on the trail
Views on the trail
Blue Mountain in the clouds
Blue Mountain in the clouds
Tisha puts on more layers at Deer Park
Tisha puts on more layers at Deer Park
After deciding the weather would hold, we headed up the way to Blue Mountain, usually a dirt road, but now an intermittently snow covered route. Weather was not improving, in fact, the clouds seemed to be quickly heading our direction. We rapidly made our way up the mountain, snapped a few pictures of what views were to be had and made our way back down. Along the way, we got a better look at a blue grouse "whumping."
Blue Mountain ahead!
Blue Mountain ahead!
Blue Grouse in action
Blue Grouse in action
Gathering clouds
Gathering clouds
View of Sequim valley
View of Sequim valley
Zoomed view of valley
Zoomed view of valley
Looking out from Blue Mtn
Looking out from Blue Mtn
Jeremy on Blue Mtn
Jeremy on Blue Mtn
We encountered quite a few bunnies on the way home.....one that ran right in front of Tisha - wish she'd had her camera ready!
Bunny, not overally suicidal
Bunny, not overally suicidal
Midget Jeremy negotiates a fallen tree
Midget Jeremy negotiates a fallen tree
Dark clouds over Deer Park burn
Dark clouds over Deer Park burn
It was a quick return trip, and although it was quite chilly (39 degrees up there!) and cloudy, at least we didn't get rained on!
Trillium blooming
Trillium blooming
~Thanks to Mtn Wkr for suggesting Blue Mtn - we might have only done Deer Park!

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun May 13, 2007 7:22 am 
You guys get out a lot! Good for you, and thanks for being our Olympic Penninsula correspondents.
bunny, not overly suicidal :ykm:
bunny, not overly suicidal ykm.gif
I thought he was roped up for this dangerous section.  Upon inspecting the 'rope' I have decided there may be a Whippet on the other end.
I thought he was roped up for this dangerous section. Upon inspecting the 'rope' I have decided there may be a Whippet on the other end.

Bruce

Bruce
PostSun May 13, 2007 12:43 pm 
Deer Park
Did I meet you folks there last summer? Was the Deer Park ranger...was always there on weekends. June 3 to mid Oct Lived in luxury at the ranger station.

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostSun May 13, 2007 1:38 pm 
Magellan: We would never take dogs into the park! You never know when a park ranger may be looking at the trip reports. hmmm.gif Bruce: We have never been to Deer Park before, sorry we didn't get to meet you then. Sounds like that could be a fun gig, though.

"Forest 101: These big wood stick things are called trees. The big rocks are called mountains, and the little rocks are their babies." Elliott from Open Season
Bruce

Bruce
PostMon May 14, 2007 8:18 am 
Deer Park
OK maybe we will cross paths this year? Happy Hikes Bruce

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage

Schmidt Altitude
Whippet Entourage
PostMon May 14, 2007 3:21 pm 
Bruce, we just realized we might have come off sounding like we don't take the whole dogs not allowed in the park seriously. That was not our intent. We have rarely ever broken the rule - usually a hike or two that doesn't start in the park. We understand that the park has those rules in place for a reason, but it doesn't mean we don't miss hiking with our companions. We really wish they were allowed in more areas so we could share all of our adventures with them (and not have to enlist the dogsitter embarassedlaugh.gif) Hope to see you out there this summer, too!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon May 14, 2007 9:14 pm 
I have had various feeling about dogs over the years. Usually it depends on the dog, which quite often is just a reflection of the owner. Dogs can go most places, and many people take them off leash. I don't think I would be fired up to see dogs in the National Parks. They don't allow weapons either, in case anyone was wondering. hmmm.gif

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostMon May 14, 2007 10:08 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I don't think I would be fired up to see dogs in the National Parks. They don't allow weapons either, in case anyone was wondering. hmmm.gif
Nor dogs with weapons, so I've heard. wink.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!

ActionBetty
Im a dirty hippie!
PostMon May 14, 2007 10:10 pm 
Damn.. Mr big will have to leave his dog costume and pistola at home next time:paranoid: Nice Tr and pics Jeremy and Trisha! biggrin.gif

"If you're not living good, you gotta travel wide"...Bob Marley
Bruce

Bruce
PostSat May 19, 2007 8:11 pm 
Dogs
Hey Hope to C U 2 if in park without Bruce