Forum Index > Trip Reports > Golden Lakes Loop
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
SteppinRazor

SteppinRazor
PostMon Jul 07, 2003 10:32 am 
Hiked the Golden Lakes loop in the Sawtooth Range 7/4 through 7/6. After a confusing start (there is an unmarked fork near the beginning of the hike to Eagle Lake, stay right/up, and the fork to Crater lake is easy to miss, it’s right after a stream crossing that has both a bridge and a ford) headed up towards Eagle Lake, doing the loop counterclockwise. Upper Eagle Lake (biting bugs!), Horsehead Pass, Boiling Lake, Angel’s Staircase, Merchant’s Basin and Cooney Lake are all snow free and have no blowdowns. There is a small (10 to 20 steps) remainder of a cornice to cross on the north side of the ridge between Merchants Basin and Cooney Lake, but it can be crossed carefully (the muddy, steep trail below is at least as tricky, IMHO). This should be melted out this week I’d guess. The trail up the north side of Deadman’s Pass is partially snow covered, but will not be a problem for hiker’s this coming weekend (7/12- 7/13) and probably completely clear and dry the weekend after that. Sunrise Lake is also completely thawed, but the approach and area near the outlet is 50% covered. I saw three other groups of hikers, and one group each of motorcyclists, mountain bikers and horsey folks. I’d recommend evening hikes up to the no name pass south of Boiling Lake and the ridge to the west of Cooney Lake as eminently worthwhile. My one regret is that I didn’t have another day to go up to Hoodoo Pass (which appeared snow free) and/or to visit Martin Lakes.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster