Forum Index > Gear Talk > Chaco Z1 Terreno Sandals, Riverz Techstraw Hat
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 11:23 am 
If anyone is shopping for sandals or a hat, I can whole heartedly reccommend these. The Chaco sandals are the most secure I've ever worn. The one-piece strap is elegant and functional. The PU footbed, though heavy, should hold up better over the long-term than EVA and the aggressive Vibram sole provides the traction you would expect. They are made in Colorado, USA, too cool.gif My dermatologist has been bugging me about getting a hat, but most fabric ones are . . . well . . . ugly and real straw is too delicate. Riverz makes "Techstraw" hats out of polypropylene (IIRC) that looks like straw. It's supposed to be washable, crushable, etc. I picked a nice Panama style hat and really like it so far. It's more porous than a fabric hat, so it is more breathable and cooler. Some sunlight will get through the holes in the weave of the brim, but I figure I am several orders of magnitude better off than if I did not wear a hat.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
crwdog

crwdog
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 1:56 pm 
You know, the best hat I ever bought was a US Marines standard issue Boonie hat that my buddy bought for me at the exchange. Keeps the sun out of my face, packs easy and has vents to cool your noggin. Also, the $14 price tag is easy to digest as well, as they last forever.

Dante

Dante
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 2:17 pm 
crwdog wrote:
You know, the best hat I ever bought was a US Marines standard issue Boonie hat that my buddy bought for me at the exchange. Keeps the sun out of my face, packs easy and has vents to cool your noggin. Also, the $14 price tag is easy to digest as well, as they last forever.
But the color selection is limited and they make you look like a Marine wink.gif Seriously, I wanted something nice enough to wear anywhere--not just hiking.

crwdog

crwdog
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 2:21 pm 
Andy & Bax has some interesting "Urban" colors (including purple?) as well smile.gif