Forum Index > Photography Talk > photo finishing, let's step back into the murky past...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
polarbear~

polarbear~
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 1:54 pm 
Let's change horses for a minute and talk about plain ol' film cameras. Where is the best, most consistent place to get 4x6 prints around the Seattle area? The quality of the place I've been going to is starting to bungee.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 2:11 pm 
You know, just for standard stuff, I never had a problem with Costco. Cheap, reliable; you may not have many choices in paper, but I am suspecting if you're talking 4x6 it can't be wall art. For better, larger prints I've gone to Prolab in Ballard. They are pretty expensive - the advantage being that if you don't like the end result or would like some changes, they don't even blink when you tell them to do it again. I've had weird-lighting heliskiing pictures go back 3 times before I was happy; they just treated it like business-as-usual.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Larry

Larry
PostSun Jul 06, 2003 3:06 pm 
I go with Rainbow Photo in Bellevue. They've got a lot of equipment, including a Frontier scanner/printer for up to 10x15 prints, cheap and absolutely top quality. They've also got a high-end developer for those big enlargements that we all crave once in a while. I agree with Costco and just about any other One Hour Photo place for 4x6 prints. Don't see much variation in quality these days, since all the "quickie" machines are pretty much state-of-the-art for their genre.

Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostTue Jul 08, 2003 8:23 pm 
If you're just wanting prints and not neg developing, try Magic Photo in the shoreline area on Aurora. NN

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
michaelm5

michaelm5
PostWed Jul 09, 2003 7:41 pm 
Yep, Costco is the best for inexpensive small prints. Cheap and fast! Ivey Seright is very good for large images. I regularly sell prints from this lab. they are good, consistent and responsive. http://www.ivey.com/ Prolab is good to. My neighbor is Darrell Gulin and he does all slide processing at Prolab. He just returned from India and waited for 100 rolls to be processed. Prolab has a 2 hour turnaround Ivey is 3. If you are paying someone to make your prints which I do for sizes above my Epson 2200, Neil McWee is probably the best local printmaker. at least he is one of the best in the Northwest. He makes large Ilfochrome prints for many of the local professionals. Art Wolfe told me about Neil. Neil was Art's printer before Art switched to digital printing technology. All the prints in Art's gallery at the downtown Seattle REI were done by Neil up until about 2 years ago which is when he changed. Neil is eccentric but his work is hard to match.

Michael