Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Rainier View trail and Noble Knob 7-9-03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Karen

Karen
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 9:50 am 
So, Sarbar .... you were on The Mountain too? It was a great day to be there, wasn't it? The Mount Rainier view trail is a short hike that is suitable for just about everyone but there is just one problem: The Corral Pass road is a horror show. It's not undriveable but it's slow going. The road is rough, rocky, and steep, winding and narrow. It takes about as long to drive the road (cautiously) as it does to hike the short trail. But is it worth it? Yup. After the hike we made a list of all the flowers we saw -- I haven't counted them up yet but it was probably around 35-45 different flowers including a couple we couldn't I-D. What we liked about this short, scenic trail is that it covers 3-4 ecological niches -- deep forest, a bog, and then a rocky, bony ridge with outcroppings and great vistas of not only The Mountain but also Mount Adams, Glacier Peak, Mount Baker, Mount Stuart, and much more. A rough trail goes on to Castle Mountain -- it looks like it could be scrambled by those with experience. Apparently the White River Ranger district is constructing a new trail (Castle Mountain trail) and later this year you should be able to make a loop. For now it's only 1.2 miles to the 6,000 foot level with spectacular views and a lot of flowers. Stop anywhere you like and pull out a flower guide. We then hiked most of the trail to Noble Knob as well -- having been to Noble Knob by a couple of other routes we didn't care for this route as much as the others. The Dalles Ridge trail is a shorter approach and much more scenic and unless conditions have changed terribly within the last couple of years, the road to the Dalles Ridge trail is easier on the car than the Corral Pass Road. We saw a lot of flowers along that trail too but when we got to the meadows most of the flowers we were expecting to see had already waned. Noble Knob is at its best in mid-June but it's still a dandy hike and the views from the summit of the knob are always well worth the effort. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 11:11 am 
Yes, I was, Karen! It was a gorgeous day to be out there, wasn't it! I have been thinking of doing Noble Knob, but maybe I'll wait till I can torture the boyfriend into driving me up there lol.gif He loves to drive nasty roads-I can do it, but if I can make him do it, all the better lol.gif Heehee!! Thanks for the trip report, Karen-one question-which route do you suggest as the best for Noble Knob?

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Karen

Karen
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 11:33 am 
The road
Hi Sarbar, Dalles Ridge trail -- have your pal drive that road. It's still a long drive but the road's better than Corral Pass Road. Just out of curiosity, are you a member of the Mountaineers? If so I am wondering if you are that young woman with a young boy who signed up for a hike I lead about a year ago to the White Chuck River Trail? Just curious if that was you because I don't know many young women with young 'uns like Ford. Karen

stay together, learn the flowers, go light - from Turtle Island, Gary Snyder
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 11:36 am 
It wasn't me. But I do know it is rare to see other women with young kids on the trails! I need to get around to joining the Mountaineers someday-when I was living up on Whidbey Island everything was so far away, but now that I live near Seattle, it would be worthwhile!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.