Forum Index > Trip Reports > Summerland/IndianBar
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
christy_E

christy_E
PostMon Jul 14, 2003 6:54 pm 
Hello Everyone.. I am kinda/sorta new here.. just a lurker for the most part.. This past weekend.. after extensive planning to do the Loowit loop.. We somehow ended up in Rainier.. funny how that happens. So much for plans. My daughter and I.. decided to head up to Indian Bar friday morning. The really nice Ranger at White River convincingly talked us out of going all the way to Indian Bar.. since we weren't prepared for as much ice as there was on the trail. He was concerned for her.. (hahaha) 10yr olds are much more capable than 40yr olds. The hike up.. for some reason.. was very Long.. especially.. that last .5 mile. still ice on it which made it interesting. Summerland right now.. Is beautiful.. avalanche lilies in bloom on the way up. Just enough snow to make it nice. Marmots out in full force.. doing the <fighting thing> according to my kid.. <not going to educate her just yet> Had deer try to get the hanging food.. which is a lot nicer to watch than bears. Ended the hike.. with some excitement.. another couple we played tag with all the way up the hill.. decided to go on to Indian Bar the next morning.. Guess there was a lot of ice.. she had lost her footing.. and ended up being airlifted out. I.. was almost the next victim.. did the same darn thing on those switchbacks coming down.. luckily my kid had enough strength to help get me back on the trail. Few battle wounds to remember the trip. Maybe if I plan a trip for next week sometime.. we will actually end up doing the Loowit instead.. christy

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 6:13 am 
I am glad it wasn't you that got airlifted out! Am I right in that I am talking to the Christy I met on Rainer last week?

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
christy_E

christy_E
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 10:16 am 
Yes.. this be Me. smile.gif I left "Barbie" home.. knowing there would be "some" snow.. (what a drama queen) And took my lil bug catcher. I thought of you and Ford while on the last .5 mile set of switchbacks. Your tether.. I visioned it on my kid... hauling me up the last few steps. I really need to learn how to lighten my pack more.. I hit 43lbs.. the kid.. had 22lbs and never blinked an eye. Guilt wouldn't let me give her more. 65 lbs of WHAT??? dang.. that just hit me. I'm looking to do another overnighter next week.. I'm a bum at heart.. and prefer weekdays to the weekends. Don't get the crowds that way. Let me know when you head down to the mtn again.. maybe we will meet up with you two. christy

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 11:25 am 
I know the feeling lol.gif We hauled 52 lbs this weekend, and I kept thinking-but I ain't carrying anything extra!!! I will let you know when we go hiking this week smile.gif Ford unfortenley came down with a really bad infection in his lungs and sinus on the trip and is still very worn out from the fever and coughing frown.gif So I may not be hiking this week until thursday or friday frown.gif WAAAHHHHH!!!!!!!

christy_E

christy_E
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 11:56 am 
I did splurge.. and bring the lil coffe perc. tongue.gif .. and mostly fresh foods. but.. that surely couldn't of been the extra weight. I didn't even fill my platypus with wine this time... bawl.gif Made for a Long night with a yacking 10yr. old. Sorry to hear about the lil guy. Nothing worse than having them get sick out on a trip. I usually sit there thinking.. should I pack this.. or that.. cough meds.. ear drops? and.. when I don't... low and behold one of them will get sick. Worse was had a kids eardrum rupture from altitude. And of course.. I didn't think to pack ear drops..lol.. she had read in the backpacker mag.. about ear pain in the back country.. and even said to me.. mom.. it's ok.. you can pee in my ear if it will make it stop hurting. Of course I wasn't going to do That !!! Just loaded her up on Ibu. and hiked down. Funny.. sometimes they grow up too fast.. and other times.. not fast enough.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 12:02 pm 
I know frown.gif I was freaked out on saturday-he kept have racking coughs that were all wet sounding, but I knew if I hiked out, we'd be doing it in the rain, in late afternoon/evening and figured it'd be safer to hike out in sunday with the group and try to get him to sleep as much as possible. Of course I didn't sleep-I layed there all night freaking out lol.gif I figured out one thing though-NEVER forget the children's Tylenol!!

christy_E

christy_E
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 12:15 pm 
eek.gif Nooo !!! you forgot the childrens tylenol ???? OMG !!! I bet you have just added a whole box to your first aid kit. lol

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 12:25 pm 
Oh yes I did lol.gif I had never even thought of taking it, and did I pay for not having it along! lol.gif

christy_E

christy_E
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 12:29 pm 
Watch the weight of your pack go UP now. heh.. Tylenol, cough, sniffle noses... the list is endless what you "might" need. I would of Never thought of packing ear drops. But now.. If we are doing any major elevation.. it's a Must. Suppose I could just leave that kid home.. but.. if it's not her.. it would be one of the others.