Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bandera Mt - 7/09/03
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostThu Jul 10, 2003 8:53 am 
If you are inerested in info on the new trail up Bandera check out my report. The new trail is open most of the way up but there is no trail above where it traverses over and drops to Mason Lake. The last 500' or so to the ridge top is the steep trail many of you know and love. The trail itself is 10% grade most all the way. It does add quite a bit of distance but really eases the grinding on your legs coming down. All in all, it is a very nice trail. I will add some photos in a day or two. Paintbrush, tiger lilies, lupine, beargrass, and others are blooming. Bandera Mountain

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
marta
wildflower maven

marta
wildflower maven
PostFri Jul 11, 2003 9:06 pm 
Great trip report, Jim. We did Bandera last week on July 3rd. It was also a hot day. We took the old trail up. Grueling but great conditioning. We met another hiker near the false summit who said he came up the new trail and mentioned it was hikable and that no one was working on it. We were going to be good hikers and stay off the new trail. We started down the top part and hubby slipped and went sliding down on his back down the hill on the blueberries. He was wearing a pack with 40 lbs to train for Rainier and lost his balance. He was so fortunate because he only scraped his elbow and knee. The knee had a pretty bad case of 'trail rash'. But no bruises, sprains or broken bones. As soon as we reached the junction, we didn't want to take any more chances and took the new trail. It will be wonderful. We also think it will only go to Mason Lake.
Here's a picture of me on the upper part of the Bandera trail
Here's a picture of me on the upper part of the Bandera trail

JimK

JimK
PostTue Jul 15, 2003 2:06 pm 
For those who would like to see photos of Bandera, they have now been posted. Marta, when I was there the new trail was open more than half of the way to where it heads over to Mason Lake. We did hike down the closed off sections and they appear to be nearly done. I didn't make it all the way to Mason Lake so there may be more still to do there.