Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sol Duc & Salt Creek 06/23/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSun Jun 24, 2007 9:40 pm 
Amongst all the recent trip reports of others tackling peaks, I enjoyed a scenic (and wet) day exploring on the Oly*pic peninsula. With the family out of town for the weekend, I took this opportunity to meet up with D2k early on Saturday to load up the RV and begin our journey. 'Our' digital camera was actually a gift that I purchased for my wife a few years ago and I always borrow it for my outings... but this time she trumped me and took it with her on vacation. Thankfully, D2k let me play with his Nikon D100 for the weekend. The pictures had potential... but, as you'll see, maybe I should have spent more time learning the camera operations instead of dodging rain drops. Inspired by a trip report from Shacknasty Jim more than a year ago, we set our sights on Salt Creek county park. We arrived just after high tide so tide pools were at a minimum but we still really enjoyed the park had to offer. This is a place the kids would surely love to camp at! Thanks Shacknasty Jim for the inspiration!
Sealife
Sealife
Salt Creek County Park
Salt Creek County Park
Our next stop was Sol Duc Hot Springs to set up 'camp'. By the way, what is the deal with Sol Duc? Is it Sol Duc or Soleduck? My topo map shows Sol Duc hotsprings, as well as Soleduck Trail and Soleduck Falls. confused.gif Yeah, it is a big issue. hmmm.gif With the RV all leveled and set up, we realized the trailhead to Sol Duc falls was two miles down the road. doh.gif So, in our wet-weather hiking gear we headed off down the road for a trail that we knew would be populated with 'campers', not 'hikers'. After about 0.25mi hiking the road a truck passed by and came to an abrupt halt. Out of pure coincidence it was my sister who had come to Sol Duc to meet up with a friend. They kindly gave us a ride to the trail head. Thanks Sis! Sol Duc falls was quite misty and well populated, making for some difficult photo situations. We also saw at least three other 'photographers' at the falls with lots of photo gear and tripods. On the bridge of the falls it is always raining simply because the mist from the falls condenses and constantly falls on you. Moving off the bridge in either direction and you suddenly realize that it isn't raining.
Sol Duc Falls
Sol Duc Falls
Sol Duc Falls3
Sol Duc Falls3
Sol Duc Falls2
Sol Duc Falls2
After exhausting our photo opps at the bridge and a few upriver locations we decided to make the return trip along the Lover's Lane trail which terminates at the Sol Duc Hot Springs Resort. This is a lovely trail, although a bit bushy in places that provides another beautiful view of the Sol Duc river with a narrow ribbon of falls coming off a cliff down into the turbulent water. We negotiated down about 12 feet to a ledge for a better view. Even then, the breeze and lighting conditions made it difficult to capture a quality image.
Sol Duc river
Sol Duc river
The rest of the trail is very green and lush with moss and Douglas Firs of immense proportions.
Lover's Lane trail
Lover's Lane trail
After about 1/2 mile, the REAL rain started... and continued until we returned to camp... wet and ready for dinner. We started our Sol Duc hike at 3:00pm and returned to camp at about 6:30pm. After debating about whether we wanted to soak in the hot springs, we decided against it due to both the time and dinner options. Sunday morning included continued light showers so we packed up the site and headed toward home. The continued precipitation drove our choice to visit Marymere Falls and Madison Falls on another trip at another time. Stormy weather on the way home alternated with blue skies and culminated with a rainbow in my backyard.
Backyard Rainbow
Backyard Rainbow

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 5:28 am 
You didn't realize there is an actual trail from the campgrounds to the Solduc trail? It forms the Lover's Lane Loop smile.gif

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband

Hoosierdaddy
Trophy Husband
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 7:27 am 
Last month I organized a group of 12 volunteers & in conjunction with the NPS we brushed / cleared all the blow downs along the entire Lover's Lane trail. (There were some HUGE ones left over from November's storms!) Unfortunately the lush undergrowth grows back very quickly. Looks like we'll have to get out there again. huh.gif

God, I am going to regret this someday!
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 7:55 am 
SnJ - Thanks for the photo comment. We did have tripods and D2k took some time (and risk) to set his up on the ledge... I chose to balance the camera against a stump rather than fiddle with the gear. I believe his shots have a bit more clarity, but the precipitation and wind still make it difficult to keep the foliage in focus with the slow shutter speeds. Sar - We knew of the Lovers Lane trail but didn't know about the trail from the campgrounds. We were just approaching Campground Loop B when we got our free ride. up.gif It's likely that if we had walked to the trailhead we would have arrived at the falls right about when the skies opened up. HsrDdy - Thanks for clearing the trail out - we did notice all the fresh log cuts and you will be pleased to know there is not a single blowdown on the trail. hockeygrin.gif Also, the brush on the side wouldn't normally have received a mention, but really, our raincoats held up well and only our legs were soaked from simple contact with wet foliage. --- Admittedly, my photos didn't turn out all that great, but D2k came away with some up.gif up.gif shots from Sol Duc and also Salt Creek.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Canuck

Canuck
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 8:26 am 
Salt Creek is an excellent place to bring kids. I was there about 7 or 8 years ago and had a great time (and I was in my late 20s then!). We're planning on going there sometime this year when we can take 3 or 4 days to fully enjoy it. Nice trip report - and great photos!!

dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 9:35 am 
Hoosierdaddy wrote:
Last month I organized a group of 12 volunteers & in conjunction with the NPS we brushed / cleared all the blow downs along the entire Lover's Lane trail. (There were some HUGE ones left over from November's storms!) Unfortunately the lush undergrowth grows back very quickly. Looks like we'll have to get out there again. huh.gif
Hey! It would be really fun to have a PNWH work party! What do you think? smile.gif doh.gif

derekwayne

derekwayne
PostMon Jun 25, 2007 12:19 pm 
very nice up.gif this was one of Ed's fav places....thanks for sharing up.gif