Forum Index > Trail Talk > Flapjack Lakes to Mildred Lakes Way/Scramble?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
jdawg

jdawg
PostFri Jun 29, 2007 2:38 pm 
I'm trying to plan a hike and close a gap between Flapjack Lakes and Mildred lakes, or better yet Gladys Pass back to Lake of Angels. Any suggestions on not-so-techincal scrambles or way trails? Sawtooth pass? Backside of Mt Skokomish? Thanks.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ScottM

ScottM
PostFri Jun 29, 2007 7:26 pm 
jdawg, I think what you are calling Sawtooth Pass is what I call needle pass. Here is a picture from the Gladys Divide up above Flapjack lakes.
pano6
pano6
I believe this is the only "non-technical way to drop down to Mildred Lakes on the other side of Sawtooth ridge. The Olympic Mountains Climbing Guide has a bunch of non-technical cross country traverses in it. I was also considering the Gladys Divide to Lake of the Angels traverse. Here is a picture taken from Gladys Divide looking towards Mt Skokomish.
pano7
pano7
. You can refer to the climbing guide for the details.

jdawg

jdawg
PostSat Jun 30, 2007 10:48 pm 
Thanks for the response. I saw that book come up in a few web searches. Well, I finally got it today. It's awsesome! They refer to the "sawtooth pass" (between the Castle Spires and Fin) there
There seems to be several straight-forward ways across. Also, the current edition has a new chapter just one traverses smile.gif It doesnt mention Flapjack to Mildred lakes (the book simply diagrams it), they do cover the Gladys Divide to LOA travese. That intrigues me. I'd love to do that one, but I'm not sure about route finding that way for me

ScottM

ScottM
PostSun Jul 01, 2007 7:36 pm 
It does look like you have a few options. I have a copy of the book but neglected to consult it before responding. I went off memory and I remember thinking to myself that the area with that needle spire looked fairly straight forward. I have been on Mildred side also but have never crossed over. As far as route finding goes the Gladys Divide / LOA looks fairly straight forward also. If your unsure about it you might want to tackle it with somebody else, sometimes 2 sets of eyes are better than 1.

Luc

Luc
PostTue Aug 07, 2012 4:49 pm 
revival. curious on if this was done successfully. i'll be up there soon and would like to jump over the ridge to spend some time in the gladys area. it's been a long time, but i also recall seeing several options. as far as the gladys/loa. did that in 2005. it is straight forward, but bring a partner.

GNGSTR
silence

silence
PostTue Aug 07, 2012 5:10 pm 
cool .. some old timers must have done it?
jdawg wrote:
so the diagram for mildred is thru the pass? looks technical on the other side .. stupid question? what about just going around from the north? i bet there's still snow on the north slope off gladys divide so it would be a relatively ez traverse ...

PHOTOS FILMS Keep a good head and always carry a light bulb. – Bob Dylan
jdawg

jdawg
PostTue Aug 07, 2012 5:33 pm 
My attempt way back then was a turn-around due to fog. Also, the traverse is a miserable bolder field. Yes, if there's still snow there you'd be better off. Good luck!

Grey Heckel

Grey Heckel
PostWed Aug 08, 2012 8:52 am 
Back in '87 I traveled (traversed) from upper Flapjack to the small lakelet to the SW and then worked my way up to the southern flank of Mt Lincoln and on around, thru obvious non-tech routes, to the small lakelet just west of Lincoln Pond, and on to Lincoln Pond; from there I traversed around to Wagonwheel lake, and back down to the car at Staircase (this was a daytrip - started at daybreak - the fry must live); but on another trip to Lincoln Pond, I took the easy ascent to the saddle north of the pond and on out the ridge to Mildreds.

Retired Biologist
Dr. T

Dr. T
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 10:19 am 
Buddy and I are coming up with a loop backpack from flapjack to Gladys divide through to LOTA. Back to LOTA trailhead, road hike to Mildred lakes trailhead, Mildred lakes to sawtooth range, through one of the passes there and back to flapjack trail. The Gladys divide looks straightforward. Any beta on getting through the sawtooth range, coming from Mildred lakes?

meck

meck
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 5:57 pm 
I think it could be more straightforward (though perhaps super-brushy?) to go up the stream/drainage (cross-country), before the last big climb up to Mildred lakes, over to Wagonwheel lake and then down to Staircase. When I went up to Mildred Lakes ~7 years ago, I was able to make it all the way up to the notch on the Sawtooth ridge between Lincoln and North Lincoln. The other side (down to Flapjacks) looked steep and sort of miserable, but possibly descend-able (the OMCG implies that it is traversable and I remember seeing goat tracks in the general area). I'll see if I can find any photos.

*Just say NO to Rent-Seeking, don't give up the concept of "ownership"*
Dr. T

Dr. T
PostTue Jul 28, 2020 7:51 pm 
That’s a good alternative route out back to the trailhead, thanks. The look of the sawtooths though invite exploration.