Forum Index > Trail Talk > What's high on your list? - "To do" dreaming: hikes and peaks, .....
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sawyer

Sawyer
PostSun Feb 24, 2002 10:59 pm 
The book is "Monte Cristo Area by Harry Majors and McClollum. Out of print for 20+ years. I heard they are working on a new version, but don't hold your breath. Copies in the Everett and King County library systems. Very hard to find, they rarely show up on the used book lists (e.g. abebooks.com). I finally just photocopied the liberry's copy. It shows the route that Scrooge has on his Troublesome Creek website (Troublesome Creek Routes)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 12:06 am 
Scrooge! Hey, don't be too dissappointed in me bro. You got your share of reports from me in 2001! Last year was a bit light in terms of real nasty epic trips, but I've got a lot of fun stuff in the works for 2002. If I'm lucky enough to stay healthy, and weather cooperating, I'll post a few more good ones this summer. Goodness. Haven't seen that Nazanne report in quite awhile. Didn't think anyone read that stuff. One of the most memorable trips I've ever taken, so much more happened than what I was able to put in that report. At one point Phil was ready to call it quits just after we crossed over the Copper outlet, in fact he didn't want to even try and cross. Just wanted to hunker down and fall asleep. I had to talk him into crossing and talk him out of falling asleep (on his feet) the rest of the walk back to the car. Later he told me he had only gotten 2 hours of sleep the night before; yet, he still insisted on driving home even though I repeatedly offered to take the wheel. I think there were a few less road signs along HWY 2 after that drive home! Poor Phil, I was so hard on the guy. I'd still write that report today though. It would most likely be shorter these days however. Yeah, I kept about 70% of the stuff I did last year a secret, in other words, I didn't write a report about it. But Scrooge, you should see the places I kept secret, they're spectacular. Imagine Delta times 50! You'd understand if you went to these places, and that's been my stance all along, as if I needed to defend what I feel is reportable or what isn't. I wish everyone "worried" as much as I do. That said, you should come out for a beer sometime, you might hear some fun stuff that you wouldn't necessarily read at wta.org or hear at a coffee social. paranoid.gif When is the next TC trip?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 8:46 am 
Randy. TC is May 18 (the same weekend as last year), trying for Twin Lakes. We may have a snow problem this year or, depending on conditions, maybe it'll be a snow benefit. Beer is fine, although I am partial to coffee. Since the socials are right before work, for me, I do have to take it pretty easy. My work schedule also limits me to the rare Eastside socials, except on Friday night. Tom. Sawyer is right about the scarcity of "The Monte Cristo Area". Most of the library's copies have been stolen. However, I, too, have a photocopy (of about 75% of it) which you're welcome to borrow to look at or copy yourself. The traverse shown in the book is a product of the imagination, as Rubberlegs discovered, probably requiring rockclimbing hardware and skills to make a reality. Oddly enough, it's a route that the Forest Service evidently imagined first, even before Harry Majors got a hold of it. If you want some idea of the kind of thing Randy's been doing (but won't tell us about), take a look at some of Major's other suggested traverses. Harry was a truly inspired map-hiker. dizzy.gif But along with Harvey Manning and Randy, he's one of my trip report role-models. Allison. The alternate route is just a line on the map, too, but Rubberlegs and I have at least seen the territory at opposite ends of it and it does look feasible. rolleyes.gif Nobody (that we know) has yet tested the climb from Blanca up to the saddle.

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Allison
Feckless Swooner

Allison
Feckless Swooner
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 10:50 am 
Well, map-wise it make the most sense to me....however, I'm inclined to defer to the experts on this, as I have only been to Blanca once....not an obsession for me, just a really pretty lake.smile.gif

www.allisonoutside.com follow me on Twitter! @AllisonLWoods
Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 2:38 pm 
Well this has been an entertaining thread, one of the things that always impresses me is the passion that people have when they speak of places--I'm looking forward to my old favorites-the Tatoosh, lakes N of White Pass, probably get into the Goat Rocks some. My big trip of the year is going to be the East Rosebud in the Absaroka Beartooth WA in Montana-a pretty heavily traveled route with lots of off trail possibilities plus fishing. My all time goal is to hike the E shore of Yellowstone and up into the Thorofare--If you've ever read Mountain Man written by Vardis Fisher (the story that "Jeremiah Johnson" is based on), the main character Sam Minard winters in Yellowstone after the death of his wife--Vardis' description-I think it's in Chapter 18/19 -of Yellowstone is awesome. Vardis' character enters Yellowstone via the Thorofare and spends the winter in/around some of the geyser basins-I've always wanted to retrace his footsteps and I'm thinking that next summer I'll do it.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 4:21 pm 
Allison. With your proclivities I can't help thinking that you'ld find Harry Major's proposed traverse more interesting than my alternate. Harry's route is out in the open and would require a certain amount of rock scrambling, if not outright technical climbing. There'd also be great views of the lake and surrounding peaks and the Columbia Glacier. The alternate, once you get up to the saddle, is just a mile across steeply sloping forest. The forest floor along the other side of the Middle Fork was remarkably open, but views out were very limited. Either way, go for it. This whole TC thing has become a very intriguing group project. ....And everybody's encouraged to participate/contribute. Just don't keep it a secret. eek.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!

PostMon Feb 25, 2002 7:39 pm 
Dslayer, Your trip up the Thorofare sounds awesome. I love that Park - even the touristy crowded areas.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 2:04 pm 
Pappy-I wholeheartedly agree with you about Yellowstone-I've only been to the touristy places-I last took my daughter for a couple of days back in 2000-but the magnitude and the beauty of that place, not to mention the wildlife, is awe inspiring. Most of the time I'm not even aware there are other people out there. Yellowstone is the beating heart of entire West-I'm eager to hike the Thorofare-it's one of the more well used areas of the backcountry but I guess when you reach the Southern End of the trail, it's the most isolated spot in the contiguous 48-farthest from a road anyway.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 3:48 pm 
In Oct 1976 I had the good fortune to pack into Heart Lake with a group of like-minded college cohorts. It was a 7 or 8 mile hike past a geyser basin to the vast lake. Temps were in the teens, winds were high, and the sense of remoteness was powerful. I've been meaning to go back and see how the fires of 88 changed things. Yellowstone is huge. The asphalt and winnebagos have only sullied about 4% of it.

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 1:58 pm 
Lopper- I've never been to Heart Lake-from what I've read it sounds awesome, but the impact of the 1988 fires in general in the park is unbelievable. They burned north down the Stillwater and Rosebud drainages in the Absaroka-Beartooth Wilderness where I've spent some time the past three summers and it's stunning to see how much burned. When I'm needing a good Yellowstone day dream I go to this site: http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trails/4369/ They've got some Heart Lake pictures and map--looks pretty cool to me.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 1:01 am 
Polarbear! Find me a good route into Silver Lake up by Ross. What a place! Been doin' a little lookin' up in the area and that lake is a well defended destination. Glaciers, cliffs, jagged peaks, miles and miles of sub-alpine brush, wow, what a trip that would be! This is the lake you are planning on hitting this summer isn't it?? eek.gif

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 2:05 pm 
oooooooh Count me in! biggrin.gif The outlet of the lake is one big-ass waterfall. Maybe a one way from Depot Creek to Ross Lake, or vice versa? *goes and starts sharpening my machete*

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 4:42 pm 
In the early 80's we made it to Silver lake from a logging road that started off the Ross Lake rd in Canada. The logging company left the key to their gate in a drop box for us to use. Drove up to about 5000 ft. and started there, almost at the US-Canada border. The people that dropped us off took the key back. The route then went over the top of Mt Rahm (Custer ridge) and down to Silver laKe. Very neat trip and mostly alpine scrambling. Went ridge walking from there to Challenger and out to the Mt Baker HWY. Don't know what condition the logging road is in but at that time is seemed ther was not a whole lot of trees left, Canadian style logging ridgetop to ridgetop.

Randy
Cube Rat

Randy
Cube Rat
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 5:15 pm 
No map of the area in front of me. How long of a drive from the gate to where you set off on foot? How did you go about arranging the drop with the logging company? Fee?

Dalekz

Dalekz
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 6:25 pm 
The road was steep inplaces but made it up in a Honda accord. Offhand Can't recall the distance without a map.Will have to look it up. Becky's guide mentions the logging company and gives a telephone number. I recall that this company was bought out by someone and they gave us the new number. We were amazed it was it was so easy that they gave us a key, all they wanted was the key returned, no charge. As to this day and age, getting across the border without checking in may be the most problematic (controlled), seeing all we did was walk across, kind of neat though.