Ugh. Peter Sellars can't be replaced.
Chauncey Gardener agree.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Feb 11, 2006 12:06 am 
Just saw the trailer for agree.gif X3 agree.gif , whoa mommy, thats gonna be taysteee, I will pop the nine fitty to see that, maybe even pop for Spindy's tickee 2. biggrin.gif Glad to see Hugh Jackman reprise his role for the final chapter, and Patrick Stewart up.gif ,and Anna Paquin up.gif , all good peeps.
fonzie with fingernails
fonzie with fingernails
May 26 2006, cant wait cant wait.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 10:42 am 
I watched 'Pans Labrynth' on friday and I really liked it. I'm not totally sure why I liked it so much. I am not a deep person who will analyze the real meaning of a book or movie. I generally am just trying to get swept up in the moment. This movie hooked me right away. There are a couple of very graphic scenes and the whole movie is disturbing. I guess it was about the dreams and the innocence of being a kid, our denial of what is really going on around us, and the ability of man to be cruel.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 2:47 pm 
Pans Labyrinth got completely robbed at the Oscars last year. It should have easily won Best Foreign Film, if not Best Film.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 4:38 pm 
Haven't seen it, but agree on the evil credit card statement. Everybody, including our gubmint used to pay cash. Now it's charged, and all that phony money creates our hidden tax called inflation. rant.gif

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jun 10, 2007 6:59 pm 
Talledega Nights is the best movie made in years. I don't know what the hidden message was cuz I couldn't find it. Shake n Bake!! lol.gif

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostTue Jul 03, 2007 11:47 pm 
Oh my dear god. Transformers may be the best movie of the summer. Absolute visual mindfu%@. IMHO, the best flick that Michael Bay has done yet. Totally worth seeing 3-4 times. I've been back for 2 hours now, and I'm still in shock. slobber.gif slobber.gif slobber.gif

Spotly

Spotly
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 12:33 am 
My daughters went to see it last night and loved it too. So much that they went back again today! Said it was an excellent film.

Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 5:27 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Westerns and Sci-Fiare the most common type of message pictures even including Red River (gay subtext),
"Gay subtext" in Red River? Oh, you're gonna have to work hard to explain that one, pilgrim. Probably the best trail drive picture ever made, and a genuine pity that Hawks made it in black and white.

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
Dave Workman

Dave Workman
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 6:12 pm 
Justan wrote:
how difficult is it to understand the glorified murder sub text to almost every western? It is easy. “They are bad. Murder them.” You are encouraged to not think about it.
The western is America's Shakespeare. I don't know if "glorified murder" is really fair. Westerns, if done right, (Shane, as arguably the best example, and Unforgiven being a close second) are morality plays on people doing what must be done when there is an absence of law and moral authority. (take it back further to Robin Hood invading Nottingham castle and sticking Sir Guy of Gisbourne through with a sword; the triumph of good over evil, and nobody called that murder) It's not murder to defend yourself, or to intercede on behalf of those who cannot defend themselves. In the case of Shane, which has more than a little historic foundation -- early western cattlemen did not greet settlers with open arms and group hugs, they frequently ran them off, and in some cases, hired gunmen to kill them, Wyoming's Johnson County War and New Mexico's Lincoln County war being the two prime examples -- you have a trying-to-reform-gunslinger realizing that his intervention will be the only thing to prevent the cattleman and his gunman from murdering his friend, the homesteader. In the absence of law, you are on your own to defend yourself. As a nation, we've been dealing with this challenge since the earliest days of the frontier, from Indian raids along the Mohawk Valley, to the range wars of the 1880s. In Unforgiven, William Muny's initial motive was pretty bad, but in the end, when it is clearly revealed that what substitutes for authority and law in Big Whiskey is worse than no law at all, one perhaps understands that it is left to the individual to "clean up the mess." In this case, a reformed gunman has to take care of a wholly corrupted, dangerous psychotic with a badge. Much the same theme in "Silverado," where it turns out the guys with the badges are really the bad guys, and let's face it, that sort of thing did happen in Lincoln County, NM, and Cochise County, AZ. In Tombstone, the cowboys who confronted the Earps next door to Fly's Photographic Studio were genuine criminals; thieves, rustlers and killers, working under the protection, or at least with the cooperation, of the county sheriff. Of course, the Earps got the town to pass an ordinance that clearly violated their constitutional right to bear arms inside town limits, but in the final analysis, when a group of outlaws is running around town threatening to kill you, and they have the means, motive and opportunity to do it -- and nobody is too eager to stop them -- you run out of options PDQ. So you confront the threat and deal with it. And that, perhaps, is why the Western has thrived as an art form, as entertainment, and as a morality play. This stuff really did happen, and from it, as a nation, we learned and grew accordingly. It is uniquely American to act within the law and defend yourself, your family and your property with force up to and including lethal force. Our laws of self-defense recognize that we have a moral, legal and natural right to defend ourselves against evil that cannot be reasoned with, pacified, discouraged or appeased, so one must either eliminate it or be eliminated by it. It's not murder. And the Western, often graphically, says this without saying it. IN that sense, perhaps the Western is the most pure of film art forms. And for Father's day, I got a collection of Duke Wayne oaters, and I've been watching them faithfully. Cheering for the good guys, and bidding farewell to the bad guys who had it coming guns.gif Tonight's fare: El Dorado to be followed by Costner's "Wyatt Earp." Fill your hand, pardner...

"The essential American soul is hard, isolate, stoic, and a killer. It has never yet melted." - D.H. Lawrence
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 6:23 pm 
It's all abut the 17 minute gunfight in Open Range. agree.gif I also give my up.gif to The Outlaw Josey Wales. Unforgiven is pretty good, as well as some of the older Eastwood movies, and movies like Tombstone. Some are just lame though, like The Quick and the Dead. Never could get into John Wayne, and can't say I've seen Shane.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 8:35 pm 
I love the westerns Tom Selleck has been making for/with TNT these last few years. There are supposed to be two more in the making. Rumor has it that Sam Elliot will be in at least one of them. Some actors just lend themselves to the western genre. I think Selleck and Elliot fit that bill perfectly. So did Wayne and my favorite actor of all time James Stewart. IMO the more westerns that better.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 9:51 pm 
He did one recently called Murder in Paradise that wasn't bad. I'd still rather watch Transformers at this point.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Jul 04, 2007 10:21 pm 
Dayhike Mike wrote:
He did one recently called Murder in Paradise that wasn't bad. I'd still rather watch Transformers at this point.
You're supposed to be on a hike! That character is from a Robert B. Parker book. The character is named Jesse Stone. He's a police chief in a small town in the massachusetts area. The same author who wrote all the Spenser for hire books. Remember the 1985 television detective shows? Transformers ROCKS! I'm going to go see it again tomorrow.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostThu Jul 05, 2007 12:17 am 
Why are grownups seeing 'Transformers'? What am I missing? Finally saw 'Apacolypto' on DVD. Goodness, that movie was incredible. Once again, not getting too deep. Visually stunning, storyline riveting, best chase scene ever, and I am thinking about it every day for five days now. WOW!!!