Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mt. Jupiter - Slash & Burn & Flowers 07-07-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 12:08 pm 
07-07-07 and it was 77 degrees when we got back to the car. Where's the LOTTO ticket? After last week's "burn" hike in the Pasayten Horseshoe Basin today it was "slash" in the Olympics.
Butt ugly
Butt ugly
Slash with a view
Slash with a view
There have been a couple of trip reports recently on this trip - but what folks don't mention is the start of the trail. It can be confusing. First of all, the road to the trailhead is well marked. The most difficult part is finding the turn-off from 101. If you are coming from Quilcene (from the north) and are heading south on 101 - it's just south of Brinnon and about a 1/4 of a mile south of Mile Marker 309. There is a definite road on your right, but the little road sign that says "Jupiter Mountain" doesn't jump right out at you - so just be aware. Once you make the turn off of 101, it's easy. However, the "parking area" for this hike is minimal
Parking area for Mt. Jupiter Trailhead
Parking area for Mt. Jupiter Trailhead
You can go up around the corner you see in the picture and park near the gate above. To get to the trail head, walk the road a little to the west and you will see the trailhead bulletin board. As you are looking at the board, the trail starts just to your right
Start of trail is just to the east (right) of the Trailhead sign where Jim is standing
Start of trail is just to the east (right) of the Trailhead sign where Jim is standing
Don't be discouraged, because for the first 3/4 of a mile along the clear cut area, you have to negotiate at lot of "crap" on the trail
Messy, messy trail
Messy, messy trail
Note: you are totally in the open and on a south slope, so it can be toasty! Once you get part way up towards the ridge, you do enter some trees
Moving into the trees
Moving into the trees
that lasts only for about another 1/2 mile or so and then you break out into the open again until you reach the ridge and then the next almost five miles are in the trees - with some ups and downs. Remember, although the books say 3600' of gain for this hike, add another 800' for the up you have to do on the way out! It's a 4400' day to this peak and back. The best part today was all of the flowers once you are above the clear cut. We were surprised. And, they just got better and better the higher we got. The rhodies even are in bloom almost all the way to the summit. I didn't capture all of the flowers in bloom (lupine is pretty much gone, so is the Vanilla Leaf and False Solomon Seal) - but here's a taste of some of the ones we saw:
Wild Rose
Wild Rose
Bunchberry - dwarf dogwood
Bunchberry - dwarf dogwood
Queen's Cup
Queen's Cup
Broadleafed Stonecrop
Broadleafed Stonecrop
Scalloped Onion
Scalloped Onion
Columbine
Columbine
Tiger Lily
Tiger Lily
Rhododenderon
Rhododenderon
HJ viewing the rhodies
HJ viewing the rhodies
Spring gold(?)
Spring gold(?)
Woolly Sunflower
Woolly Sunflower
Butterfly on Rhodies
Butterfly on Rhodies
Almost looks like a Western Saxifrage - but that's probably wrong
Almost looks like a Western Saxifrage - but that's probably wrong
Phlox
Phlox
Pink Wintergreen
Pink Wintergreen
We were busy snapping a lot of pics - probably why it took us 3:40 to get to the summit! It was a veritable pink pathway to the summit
Jim Pretty in Pink
Jim Pretty in Pink
Rhodies and Bear Grass - Hood Canal in background
Rhodies and Bear Grass - Hood Canal in background
It wasn't until we were about 3/4 of the way up the trail that we ran across someone
Silverdale Susan - above Duckabush and looking to the east
Silverdale Susan - above Duckabush and looking to the east
Susan had started from the trailhead about 8:30 a.m. - about 45 minutes ahead of us and made the trek early - wanting to beat the heat, too. We had a nice chat and shared with her hiking info available on nwhikers.net. She was kind enough to find the driver's sunglasses that had jumped off my head and onto the trail and she left them on my car for me. Thanks, Susan!! We told her there are several nwhikers in the Hood Canal area and to check the board for possible hiking partners. The bugs were circling us as we stopped - but they were nothing like they had been in the Pasayten. We moved on.
Around the second "bump"
Around the second "bump"
The Brothers (looking West from Ridge)
The Brothers (looking West from Ridge)
and saw that we weren't alone - a couple of friends soaring
Eagle catching a thermal
Eagle catching a thermal
Soon, our destination was in sight
Jupiter
Jupiter
and as we got closer, we even saw some snow
Still some snow on the north side
Still some snow on the north side
Lakelet on eastside of Jupiter (looking north)
Lakelet on eastside of Jupiter (looking north)
Once on top, the views were stunning - albeit hazy. We couldn't see to Seattle initially, but in about an hour as we were heading down, it would become more visible.
Jim and his brothers
Jim and his brothers
Driver - looking to the South/Southwest
Driver - looking to the South/Southwest
Mt. Rainier (faintly)
Mt. Rainier (faintly)
Glacier Peak
Glacier Peak
Mt. Baker
Mt. Baker
Shy Constance
Shy Constance
We had our lunch and wandered around the top of Jupiter (the driver wanted to know where the rest of the mile-wide peak top was - since that's what we had up in the Pasayten!) We even spied the little tarns of Jupiter - which are about 900' below (not on a beaten path)
Jupiter Lakes on the Northwest flank of Jupiter
Jupiter Lakes on the Northwest flank of Jupiter
Opus, we have a new challenge for you . . .
Opus - your challenge!
Opus - your challenge!
The heat was most tolerable - in fact, a windshirt was needed on the summit - but the breeze kept the bugs to a minimum. From here, we could see the bumps and ridges we had come up (all 7+ miles of them!). So we headed down - be aware, that there's lots of that loose, pebbly stuff on the way down
Trail down - notice marbles all the way!
Trail down - notice marbles all the way!
The trail is in good shape - with just a few blowdowns that you either go over or, in some cases, under.
No limbo for Jimbo
No limbo for Jimbo
For the most part, the trail is quite pleasant
Ridgeline trail
Ridgeline trail
and about mid-way through, you move into the wilderness
Entering Brothers Wilderness
Entering Brothers Wilderness
We were amazed, however, that given the recent trip reports, the great summer day and the end of a holiday week, that there were only three of us on the mountain this day! Be sure and take lots of water - since there isn't any at all on this trail - take extra if you have a 4-legged friend with you! Stats: 3:40 up/2:40 down 14 1/2 miles roundtrip 4400' gain poles are a good idea - especially on the downclimb off of the summit.

Four-paw buddy lets me tag along!
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 12:15 pm 
Cool! up.gif Mount Jupiter seems to be becoming quite popular these days. agree.gif The first part of the trail through the burn section is a little depressing but I managed to spot a deer last time I was through there. Good job!

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 1:15 pm 
Thanks for the TR. I don't believe you actually stopped to take pictures with that kind of time. You just ran by the flowers snapping away. clown.gif Also up.gif for clarifying the directions of hwy 101.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 1:27 pm 
Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 3:31 pm 
Bryan wrote:
What great pictures!!
Thanks, Bryan! I actually thought they were kinda' washed out - it was a bit hazy up there. Hopefully Jim K's pics will be crisper! The views were still fabulous.
magellan wrote:
Thanks for the TR. I don't believe you actually stopped to take pictures with that kind of time. You just ran by the flowers snapping away. Also for clarifying the directions of hwy 101.
You're welcome! I am evidence of the lack of attention - we zoomed right by!!! It's just a little, tiny street-sign thing stuck on top of a tall pole!!! OK, so I was doing 60!
skimpyphud wrote:
Cool! Mount Jupiter seems to be becoming quite popular these days. The first part of the trail through the burn section is a little depressing but I managed to spot a deer last time I was through there. Good job!
We didn't see any critters - but did see a big ol' bear pile along the ridge that didn't look to be too old. Rumor has it there will be some trail clearing going on soon. s.d.

Opus
Wannabe

Opus
Wannabe
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 6:55 pm 
Nice pictures, great report!
Sadie's Driver wrote:
Opus, we have a new challenge for you . . .
Opus - your challenge!
Opus - your challenge!
lol.gif I hope there are alot of Starburst up there!

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver

Sadie's Driver
Sadie's Driver
PostSun Jul 08, 2007 7:32 pm 
Opus wrote:
Nice pictures, great report! lol.gif I hope there are alot of Starburst up there!
You'll expect more than some stinkin' Starbursts by the time you reach that little 2nd summit!!!! agree.gif