Forum Index > Food & Grub > Dinner/Food Ideas for a Group of 10
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Rainy_pass

Rainy_pass
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 6:08 pm 
I need some help, and I need it quick!!! I will be taking 10 inner-city kids backpacking again this summer. I have three trips planned, each one is three nights and four days. I'm struggling for ideas for dinner. In the past I've done hotdogs and maccaroni. I'd like to do something different this year, but am clueless. Any ideas???? Please, if you have any suggestions share. (I know that dinner ideas have been suggested on this site ad nauseam. However, I haven't found anything on ideas for large groups.) Thanks for your help.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 6:21 pm 
Something that worked well when I was in YCC in the late 70's (lordy eek.gif ) with large backpacking groups was to divide the menus in half. So, 5 people would be on one menu, while the other 5 were on a different one. It made planning much easier. Make one person in each group "in charge" of the meal and have everyone participate in preparing and packing. Some memorable meals: -Instant rice, stewed tomatoes, and tuna all mixed together. I'm sure there are lighter alternatives available now. -dehydrated refried beans and tortillas with cheese (hard cheeses like Parma, etc. keep very will without refrigeration) -dehydrated tomato sauce and pasta When I was on a trail crew with the FS, most days we all prepared our own entree, but shared other things like fruit, dessert, etc. Good Luck!

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
Rainy_pass

Rainy_pass
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 6:34 pm 
LizzyBob, Thanks so much!!! All three of those are GREAT ideas. I'm using the second one for sure!

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 9:11 pm 
Easiest way to handle is to split meals up into say groups of 2 of 3-4 smile.gif Less work, no huge pans needed

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
solohiker

solohiker
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 11:06 pm 
Bear Country makes some great soups that serve a crowd well - you can throw in some extra pasta, veggies and/or diced jerky nuggets to make one package feed 11 - Sarbar has a good point of separating the cooking into two groups though (although the math is a bit off - it would have to be two groups of 5 and 6 not 3 and 4 in order to add up to 11 - 10 kids + you) big pots are really a pain to pack for backpacking. Use oven roaster bags to line your cooking pot and the clean up will be so much easier.

I have never been lost, but I'll admit to being confused for several weeks. - Daniel Boone
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Jul 14, 2007 11:19 pm 
What you feed'um might on their age and gender. Boys definately won't be satisfied with soup and veggies, while girls might be (I wouldn't be, unless I had 3 bagels loaded with chunks of cheese and a hamburger patty). he idea solohiker has to add pasta & beef chunks'd be cool. Need vegetarian choices (find out before you go). Pasta with dehyrdrated ground beef, or (this sounds gross but it's not) get a couple dehyrdated chili dinners and toss 'em in with insant rice. For the boys, at last, the after affects of the chili meal will also be entertainment in the tent afterwards. If they all have thier own dehydrated dinners that would work well (but expensive). Here's something to make ahead of time (if you're having a campfire). Chop up fresh carrots, pototos and tomatos, already-cooked ground beef and wrap it in lots of foil with a little bit of water sprinkled in, maybe add some corn as well. Season with chili powder, pepper. At camp, toss on coals to cook. Make a packet for each kid to carry. Might be a hassle hauling the foil out, though.....

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting