Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowcave or Tent
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dante

Dante
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 6:08 pm 
Work and family obligations restrict most of my outdoor recreation to the months of April to September, but I make time for at least one snow camping trip per year. Anyone else enjoy making and sleeping in a hole in the snow?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
polarbear

polarbear
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 7:28 pm 
Never tried it myself but something tells me I'd go to bed smile.gif but end up with a rather cold moon.gif What elevation/temps do you have to be at for snow caves not to melt out as you sleep?

PostWed Dec 19, 2001 7:40 pm 
Snow caves a usually quite warm from what I've read and experienced. Built a large one (6 footers could stand in the middle) at about 4700' on Pilchuck in a basic climbing class years ago. Don't think the daytime temp got above 40 - give or take. Wasn't cold inside at all. Very quiet too. We had 8 or 9 people sleeping comfortably in it. Took a lot of time smoothing the inside walls. Hardly got a drip. But they are a ton of work to build.

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Dec 19, 2001 9:28 pm 
We built an igloo over Fourth of July weekend once. We slept in it but by the next morning it had thinned enough to expose a small hole in the roof. But even with all that melting it was strong enough the next morning to support several of us sitting on it.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 12:58 am 
Igloos and snow caves are great. Much warmer than you'll ever be in a tent. The only problem I've had getting wet is building them (in wet snow). Some guidance and the right tools help. Keys to staying dry inside are a smooth roof and adequate ventilation. It is a fun learning experience.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 9:45 am 
I would always favor a snowcave over a tent. Problem is as people have said snowcaves take time to build--and you get very wet building them. Lots of people go to Paradise and build snow caves--which seems like the right thing becuase then you can change into dry clothes really easy.

Art is an adventure.
Dante

Dante
PostThu Dec 20, 2001 11:17 am 
We usually just do an overnighter--a short snowshoe trip to an appropriate location followed by a few hours of building and BSing. We've always built the kind with the T shaped opening. That gives you a place to stand, minimizes contact with the snow (keeps you dryer) and provides two "shelves" for sliding snowblocks out of the cave. You finish with a block accross the top of the T so the floor of the cave is at or above the top of the door. The "shelves" left outside area also a great place to cook. This "method" is named after someone, but I can't remember the name. We usually configure our caves with a "lobby" just inside the door and sleeping tunnels extending outward. This provides a place for the occupants and any guests to sit. As someone said, proper tools help. You need a good shovel (preferably with a long handle) and its nice to have a snow saw. A body heat will keep it above freezing so it's a good idea to make the roof a smooth arch so drips run down the walls. I usually bring a bivi to keep my bag dry. A candle or two will also add warmth and lots of light. I can't wait smile.gif

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie

Rich Baldwin
Mister Eddie
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 12:35 am 
I tried a snow cave for the first time last year. Unfortunately, I expended too much energy and lost too much heat while building it. I got slightly hypothermic, and my son (age 14) who is a really thin guy and wasn't working got it a little worse. The finished snow caves were actually quite warm.

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?
Dante

Dante
PostSat Dec 22, 2001 9:47 am 
Ouch! I'm glad everything worked out allright. I think the snowcave design we use and taking turns digging helps keep us warm and dry (so far anyway). I spent a couple minutes looking for a link to a page with instructions and pictures but couldn't find one. Before a buddy showed me this method I always just burrowed in and got wet.