Forum Index > Trip Reports > Tinkham Gets TNAB'ed
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 4:25 pm 
Tinkham Peak, 5395', via Windy Pass: 7/19/07 Mid-July in the Northwest. Warm temps, clear skies, and lots of bugs, right? Well, we had lots of bugs at least for TNAB's latest trip. Primary destination: Tinkham Peak, via Windy Pass. Despite the clouds, and clouds of mosquitos, it turned out to be a very enjoyable hike. Attendance: Carla (dicey), Chris M, Daniel (Winnie), Kirk (Newbie!), Joseph, Larry, Steve (Yukon222), Yet and Yours Truly The drive up to Snoqualmie Pass had me wondering whether this was a good idea. We hit a heavy band of rain just before North Bend that left everything soaked. But this is TNAB, and we hike because it's Thursday, not because the weather's good. smile.gif Luckily, that would be the only rain we'd encounter the rest of the evening. At the Pass, the temps dropped into the upper 50's, with partly cloudy skies. By 6:15 PM, six of us were lined up and ready to depart from Windy Pass. Larry was ahead of everyone, while Chris M and Carla were heading for Silver, first. Apparently, Tinkham just wasn't enough for them. We moved quickly to stay ahead of the bugs. The trail is in great shape, if a bit muddy from the recent snow melt. The right fork off the PCT to gain the saddle between Tinkham and Silver (and Abiel) is well-marked by a large cairn. We reached the saddle in under an hour, than it was on to new frontiers, as we headed straight for Tinkham. The trail to Tinkham Peak from the saddle is little more than a narrow, primitive footpath that is hard to follow in some sections. Ground cover on the steep terrain is compressed pine needles, which doesn't do much for traction. Awesome! The path plays chicken with the cliff on the north side of the ridge, eventually emerging from the forest to a short, rocky scramble to the top of Tinkham's west peak. (There was no desire to traverse over to the east peak) We reached the summit around 7:45 PM, just in time for the skies to clear and for the sun to shine down on us. Of course, the mosquitos followed us - ack! Regardless, we made ourselves comfortable and broke out the party favors. And, once again, we had Yet's famous brownies to feast upon. Yummy! About 20 minutes into our stay, Carla and Chris showed up to eat the rest of the brownies. Supplies depleted, it was time to head out. Daniel, Joseph and Steve were convinced to follow Carla and Chris over to Abiel, while the rest of us chose to head back into town, hopefully in time for dinner. Well, the jaunt to Abiel probably added an hour to their exit time; ours was 9:45 PM. We ended up at the Pour House, which was a satisfactory way to end a great hike. For the record: Chris and Carla: Silver, Tinkham and Abiel (Nice!) Daniel, Joseph and Steve: Tinkham and Abiel (Cool!) Kirk, Larry, Yet and Yours Truly: Tinkham It was all I wanted to do! biggrin.gif Cheers, -Mark

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
dicey
custom title

dicey
custom title
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 4:39 pm 
I wasn't planning on TNABing last night, but Chris set his evil trap by suggesting a trifecta. Of course, I was lured in easily by that suggestion! dizzy.gif It actually turned out to be a beautiful evening with no rain, a great sunset, and bright stars on the way out. Sorry I pigged out on the brownies, but I needed one for each peak! pig.gif

I'm not always sure I like being older but being less stupid has advantages. http://www.flickr.com/photos/32121172@N00/sets/
Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 5:11 pm 
dicey wrote:
Sorry I pigged out on the brownies, but I needed one for each peak! pig.gif
dicey, I was very happy to see you feeling better and able to eat again! agree.gif

Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 5:39 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
The trail to Tinkham Peak from the saddle is little more than a narrow, primitive footpath that is hard to follow in some sections. Ground cover on the steep terrain is compressed pine needles, which doesn't do much for traction. Awesome! The path plays chicken with the cliff on the north side of the ridge, eventually emerging from the forest to a short, rocky scramble to the top of Tinkham's west peak.
I have to say I really enjoyed the bushwhacky trail to the peak, capped with the short rocky scramble. Loved it, even! This one's going on my favorites list. A special welcome to Kirk on his first TNAB outing.
Here's a shout out to our guest GQ hiker, Joseph.
Daniel got a hold of my camera and attempted some landscape photos.
Digger sniffed them before we saw them...it's....Chris and dicey!
No more brownies.
He's no angel.
Don't drop it!!!
Good times. smile.gif

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 6:13 pm 
Yet

Yet
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 6:15 pm 
The cutest!
Digger
Digger

sospeso

sospeso
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 8:41 pm 
Thanks everyone for making my first TNAB a great success. I hope to hook up for as many of them as I can before I have to go back to NY. Great hike, great people!

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 8:46 pm 
What I want to know is how come the GQ man isn't posting here. Stop lurking and post already!! tongue.gif winksmile.gif

yukon222

yukon222
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 9:43 pm 
A nice quick trip up to the saddle between the 3 peaks, then an interesting scramble mix of tree branches, pine needles and open rock. Fortunately, the rain held off completely and the skies began to clear when we arrived on the summit of W. Tinkham.
tinkham pano
tinkham pano
yet and tinkham
yet and tinkham
stuarts
stuarts
tinkham view
tinkham view
mark descending tinkham
mark descending tinkham
good night, Tinkham
good night, Tinkham
After some refreshments, a few of us took off to Abiel which was to "be a short trip on a nice trail". Trail, huh... Well, eventually we found the pathway which alternated between slick wet heather and loose rock. The perfect trail for a late evening hike!!
joseph heading to Abiel
joseph heading to Abiel
abiel trail2
abiel trail2
sunset on way to Abiel
sunset on way to Abiel
moon over Abiel
moon over Abiel
Silver Peak  from Abiel
Silver Peak from Abiel
We managed to make it back down to the cars at Windy Pass around 10:45pm beneath clear skies, 1/2 moon and many stars. Very enjoyable hike - short, sweet and interesting terrain!

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 10:03 pm 
You guys rock. Good thing I picked the weekend to hike and not thursday. rolleyes.gif mad.gif shakehead.gif frown.gif suuure.gif waah.gif

Tazz

Tazz
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 10:44 pm 
Yukon sweet shots!! I love the shot of Yet!!

Type E

Type E
PostFri Jul 20, 2007 11:07 pm 
what is on tap for next week?

Yet

Yet
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 7:13 am 
Type E wrote:
what is on tap for next week?
Melakwa Lake!

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 10:18 am 
dicey wrote:
Chris set his evil trap by suggesting a trifecta.
That Chris is a clever man. I like the look he gets on his face as he's suggesting this sort of thing. The devil emoticons just don't quite do it justice.

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Jul 21, 2007 11:31 am 
Tazz wrote:
Yukon sweet shots!! I love the shot of Yet!!
Thanks, Tazz! Yet is becoming quite the rock fiend; I thought she was actually going to edge back even closer to the 1000' drop just behind her. And she seems perfectly relaxed on the high rocks! up.gif