Forum Index > Trip Reports > Crescent Mtn (MRNP)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostSat Jul 19, 2003 8:29 am 
As reported by Ulrich, a bit of rough road between the Ranger Station and Ipsut Campground is easily passable in any vehicle - just keep it slow. Started hiking at 0600, perfect temperatures (slightly chilly for shorts, which translates into no sweating when warmed up). An hour up to the lower crossing (which has rails this year) and junction with Northern Loop trail. The ensuing switchback hike is very efficient: Not too steep, cool in the trees and relentlessly but quickly gaining elevation. Pitch is comparable to lower Blanca Lake trail. (Definite sweating here). After 1 hour trail flattens a bit, turns E into the valley. You break out of the trees soon, beautiful alpine meadows (very reminiscent of Spray Park), Yellowstone Cliffs above you on the left. Continue up another minor set of switchbacks to an unnamed little lake just short of Windy Gap. Due to time constraints here I had to make my choice between Crescent Peak or Crescent Lake. There is a main spur from the trail to the little lake. Head west from there and you'll see the path through the talus, leading around the corner to the lake. The steep snow slopes leading to the ridge won out. I stayed on dry ground as long as I could, then for the most part step-kicked straight up to the pass. at 1030 snow conditions were just perfect for glissading, so I knew I'd miss out on the majority of that on my later descent. Stay well south of the ridge crest during your ascent west to the high point; you thus avoid fighting yourself through some tight tree clumps. Views are extraordinary. It is easily possible to descend the NW-ridge of Crescent Mtn to Crescent Lake, but unfortunately that required more time than I had (commitments at 1700 in SEA), should be a great tour though! Also lends possibilities to descend S into the Elysian Fields, follow Dick Creek out to the Wonderland Trail. 4.5hrs up, 4hrs back to car with numerous rest stops - I still have a pinched nerve in my foot, which is going to be aced starting Tuesday!
Yellowstone Cliffs
Yellowstone Cliffs
Crescent Mtn from the little lake. Ascent in fall line to lowest point in saddle, descent cut into right snowfield from saddle for longer glissade. Thin couloir on the very right is doable but requires axe, 2 people and a good sense of adventure!
Crescent Mtn from the little lake. Ascent in fall line to lowest point in saddle, descent cut into right snowfield from saddle for longer glissade. Thin couloir on the very right is doable but requires axe, 2 people and a good sense of adventure!
Another stunning hike I did 2 yrs ago - the continuation past Observation Peak to the base of Ptarmigan Ridge. Perfect time for a great ski adventure! (Camp at Eagles Roost just short of Spray Park).
Another stunning hike I did 2 yrs ago - the continuation past Observation Peak to the base of Ptarmigan Ridge. Perfect time for a great ski adventure! (Camp at Eagles Roost just short of Spray Park).
Crescent Lake form just E of the summit. NW ridge visible on left.
Crescent Lake form just E of the summit. NW ridge visible on left.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Jul 19, 2003 10:58 am 
Great pics and reports El Mtn lion! TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSun Jul 20, 2003 11:50 pm 
Nice stuff. You stole half my idea (Crescent Lake via Cress Falls), so I gotta include a little shaming. moon.gif So there. tongue.gif