Forum Index > Trip Reports > Is that a Devils Head on a Volcanic Neck? 7.29.07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:01 pm 
I got an E Mail from Ian Mackay on the 27th for an invite to do Volcanic Neck and Devils Head, I was already planing a trip in the Teanaway w/Steve F., so the stars were in alignment and we all agreed on a Sunday trip. Sunday Steve F. and I met Ian and surprise! Mike Torak at the SE 8th P&R around 6 am. We all headed out in Ian's Subie and made it to the TH around 8:15. We left the TH at 8:30 and with an easy going pace, breaks along the way, we made it to the scramblers gully at Volcanic Neck by 11:30. We all dropped our packs and Mike headed up first, then Ian, myself, and Steve. I've read many reports on this peak and as usual everyones got their own take on it. Some folks have lost their nerve and backed off, some grew extra digits to grasp the lose rock and eat along the way, a few wanted to surf the lose dirt carpeted gully, the air was so thin up there it was hard to breath, doing gymnastics down was a considered option and the list goes on and on. With all of that swimming in my head I really wasn't quite sure what I was going to get myself into. Well... as it turned out, once I got started my adrenaline got flowing and I motored up without a hitch. I'd say the scramble up was mostly class 2 3 with plenty of steps and handholds to make one feel securely attached, and only a couple of airy steps that would be fatal if one were to lose it. One of these steps is right at the summit rock, to your left it goes straight down and to the right, it would be a steep rough tumble down. With that said, making the summit at this point was just a hop skip and a step up or two (see summit pics for details), depending on how tall you are (hands required also). Time up and down with a break at the summit to sign in and read who has all been up there was an hour. Next stop, Devils Head. This was just a 20 minute ridge run to get to the summit and another opportunity for a break with views of a different flavor. Having the Stuart Range right in front like this was definitely a big WOW! factor. After about 30 minutes on the summit we retraced our path back to the saddle between VN and Bean Peak., then headed up to Bean before dropping down into the basin. We seen a person over on Mary Peak and I heard and saw 4 people down below Bean. We spent about 15 minutes here before we dropped down into the basin. Upon catching up to the people below Bean, Mike discovered he knew one of the young ladies and they chatted for awhile. Funny! You never really know who you're going to run into in the Teanaways. Arriving in the meadows, we waded through fields of flowers, crossed the creek just after reaching camp headquarters, and hooked up with the trail. We followed the basin trail until we ran into the Bean Creek Trail and from here on out it was a nice walk in the shaded forest, back to the TH. Got back at 3:30 pm. I have to say that this was a fun filled trip with the 50+ gang, Ian and Mike have so much to share and are always sharing great stories from days gone by. Steve needs a twelve step program to get the Teanaway dragon off his back. What a treasure it is to share the trail with these guys, Thanks for the ride! BTW, Anyone wanting to get more info on Volcanic Neck and Devils Head can check out the fine reports posted by Mesahchie Mark and putz'n'bootz.
Close up shot of Mt. Stuart, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Mt. Stuart, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Mt. Stuart, as seen from the summit of Bean Peak 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Mt. Stuart, as seen from the summit of Bean Peak 7.29.07.
Mike reads the summit register on the summit Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Mike reads the summit register on the summit Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Mike on the false summit of Volcanic Neck with Ian in pursuit, 7.29.07.
Mike on the false summit of Volcanic Neck with Ian in pursuit, 7.29.07.
Close up shot of McClellan Peak, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of McClellan Peak, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Little Annapurna, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Little Annapurna, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Ian, Steve, & Mike. Steve gets ready to work his way up to the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Ian, Steve, & Mike. Steve gets ready to work his way up to the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Ian makes his final move to reach the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Ian makes his final move to reach the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Ian working his way down Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Ian working his way down Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Paintbrush 7.29.07.
Paintbrush 7.29.07.
Earl Peak from Bean Peak 7.29.07.
Earl Peak from Bean Peak 7.29.07.
Dragontail, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Dragontail, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Colchuck Peak from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Close up shot of Colchuck Peak from the summit of Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Bye Bye Volcanic Neck, as seen from the connecting ridge to Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Bye Bye Volcanic Neck, as seen from the connecting ridge to Devils Head (Pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Bean Peak from Bean Basin, 7.29.07.
Bean Peak from Bean Basin, 7.29.07.
Close up shot of ? Peak along Stuart Range, 7.29.07.
Close up shot of ? Peak along Stuart Range, 7.29.07.
View looking NE from Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
View looking NE from Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Volcanic Neck and Dragontail as seen on way to Bean Peak, 7.29.07.
Volcanic Neck and Dragontail as seen on way to Bean Peak, 7.29.07.
Ian, Mike, and Steve rounding Volcanic Neck on the way to Bean peak, 7.29.07.
Ian, Mike, and Steve rounding Volcanic Neck on the way to Bean peak, 7.29.07.
Stuart Range & Volcanic Neck, as seen from near Bean Peak, 7.29.07.
Stuart Range & Volcanic Neck, as seen from near Bean Peak, 7.29.07.
Steve, Mike, & Ian coming down from Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Steve, Mike, & Ian coming down from Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Steve holds the summit register, while  Mike takes pictures of the pages while on the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Steve holds the summit register, while Mike takes pictures of the pages while on the summit of Volcanic Neck, 7.29.07.
Sherpa Peak, close up shot, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Sherpa Peak, close up shot, as seen from the summit of Devils Head (pt. 6666) 7.29.07.
Scrambler On Mary Peak 7.29.07.
Scrambler On Mary Peak 7.29.07.
Pano from the summit of Devils Head (Pt.6666)

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
yukon222

yukon222
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:05 pm 
Thanks for the trip report! Your description of the various perceptions of the route was perfect. I haven't been up this one yet and wondered how it really was due to the somewhat conflicting earlier climbing descriptions. Thanks to your photo selection, I have a very good idea of what to expect. Nice work. up.gif

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:39 pm 
Great title. Thanks also for the descriptions and pics of how the people felt about climbing it.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 2:54 pm 
yukon222, You're welcome, glad to be of service. Matt, The pleasures all mine. Pano from the summit of Bean Peak

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 3:22 pm 
Excellent photo trip report. Some of those shots of the backsides of Enchantment area peaks are outstanding. A great angle. Terrific pano. up.gif

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
payton

payton
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 4:19 pm 
nice TR up.gif Is your "?" closeup the Dragontail Plateau? It is just east of Dragontail's summit, right? I like to imagine that as the dragon's head with the snout facing eastward (towards the right in your picture) and the tail coming off to the west to form the true summit.

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostMon Jul 30, 2007 4:38 pm 
CscdHkr (Dean), Thanks, for your kind words, I'm glad you had a pleasurable experience through the images and TR. payton3480, Thanks! Yes and it appears that the dragon has a runny nose.