Forum Index > Trip Reports > Olallie Butte in Oregon
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 9:47 pm 
A superb viewpoint north of Mt. Jefferson. At 7200+ feet, Olallie Butte is the third highest peak in the area (Mt. Hood and Jefferson being much higher of course). A trail goes to the top (about 4 miles and 2600 feet) but the view from the top is gangbusters. The summit area itself is really interesting and gives you a great view of tons of lakes down below as well as a great view of the north side of Mt. Jefferson. I've found Oregon to be full of surprises this year, I've really enjoyed the great stuff that this state has to offer. Anyone else been to Olallie Butte?

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 11:01 pm 
WOW!!!! This really almost made me jump for joy tonight...in a sense of remembering my childhood! Yes, CascadeHiker, I've been there MANY times. From about age 10-15 each year I would do a 3-4 day backpack into the Jefferson Wilderness. Often it would be to basecamp at Duffy Lake since that was so easy to hit even as a kid. Then day hikes up under Three-Fingered Jack up into the eight lakes basin region: Island lake, etc.... and of course then who couldn't resist hiking up the pumice-covered volcanic peak of Ollalie Butte!? Either that or we'd go in from Breitenbush (sp?) and be on the border of the reservation and hike up these buttes. Duffy Butte smack north of Duffy Lake is a fun scramble as well. Ollalie Butte may well have a nice trail up it now...but I sure don't recall one. But of course our way was to just go straight up to the top, then "ski" down the side in the pumice until we returned covered in red soot from head to toe. Thanks for sharing this..and the photo. My photos from that age are old faded crappy prints of dumb things like my friend Victor acting, well, like a 12 year old. Somewhere I have a Mt. jefferson print like yours all faded and old, but "I don't recall what shoebox of old prints it's in a the moment". dizzy.gif

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)

Dean
(aka CascadeHiker)
PostMon Jul 21, 2003 11:18 pm 
Alan: Indeed there is a well worn trail to the top now. I found it totally fascinating up there. I've added a couple more pics for you as I'm sure they'll bring back more memories. The TH is right under the power lines but there is no sign indicating that there is a trail there. The trail is just south of the power line road on the east and is obvious once you get there. It crosses the PCT and then makes its way upward from there. Pic one shows the view across from where the remains of the lookout are towards the south peak of O.B. Pic two shows the interesting rock / arch on the SE side of the butte Pic three shows the remains of the old lookout with NWHiker.net member Bob standing on top Pic 4 may be the side you boot glissaded down getting all covered in red pumice. This pic is on the north side, just below the look out. The highpoint of Wasco county is down below in the boulder fields. Thanks Alan for your comments. It is indeed a unique area. My understanding is that the Indians took the trail sign down but they didn't limit access or post any warnings.

Dean - working in Utah for awhile and feeling like it is a 'paid' vacation. http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=1160
Alan Bauer

Alan Bauer
PostTue Jul 22, 2003 10:17 pm 
A hearty return thanks to you CascadeHiker for sharing your trip and the extra photos. How I do wish to return to all of these areas to re-soak in their beauty, to re-photograph them through my eyes of today. But you have helped me refresh my mind about what I remember about the place now which is the next best thing! Man, I remember that one rock outcropping like it was just yesterday and not 25 years ago!! smile.gif