Forum Index > Trip Reports > Mount Si - North Bend, WA (2/26/02)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
salish

salish
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 8:55 pm 
Hiked up Mt. Si today for the first time in my life (weird, I know) and it was beautiful. What an incredible day and even more incredible from the top. I never imagined the views from up there would be that grand. Maybe it was because of the snow. Mt. Rainier appeared to be half as far as it really is. I had the rocky outcropping below Haystack to myself for about a half hour and had my lunch and watched two bald eagles sore over the ridge for a while. Be forewarned, the trail is pretty icy at mile three and gets worse towards the top. It's actually pretty treacherous on the descent. I put crampons on for the descent and I'm glad I did - everyone was slipping and sliding all over the place. I saw four of the prettiest young ladies I think I've ever seen. That's the good news....the bad news is I'm an old married fart. You young single guys take note. One last thing - I think Si is harder than it looks. I've driven past it all my life and thought, no problem. It's nice and strenuous. Where are my epsom salts..... Tom: You're gonna love your Stubai ultralight crampons. They took about thirty seconds each to put on and stayed on firmly for the mile I wore them. They held perfectly in the mixed snow and ice and I never once slipped. Felt like Spiderman coming down from Haystack. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
catwoman

catwoman
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 9:17 pm 
Since the respond-to-trip reports feature has been enabled, and my trip up Si was only a few days following Salish's, I may as well just reply to this one, rather than start another one. (Ok, ok, I previously was against replies to trip reports, but I'm thinking maybe it's a good idea after-all. smile.gif ) Happy March 1st! Yes, darn good workout today on Si! And with the snow up there it was quite pretty up on top, too, with all the snow! I'd have to say it was plenty icy long before mile 3. At least today, anyway. It started getting sort of slippery at about the flat area with the boardwalks and podium thing, which is a little before mile 2. I was feeling a little out of control, so I put on my insteps not long after mile 2. They are soooooo cool! I've never used them before but what a great thing! Unfortunately, one of mine came apart about 1/4 to 1/2 mile after I put them on, and I lost one of the nut-like pieces, so I only went with one. But one is better than none, for sure! Now to get those things fixed! I pity the folks who went without.

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Mar 30, 2002 6:12 pm 
Mt. Si update 3/30/2002: First I want to say, I can't believe I did this trail again so soon - and only a month after the last time (this is very much not my style)! shakehead.gif But anyway, mud, mud, and more mud. The snow level has risen since a month ago. Traces of snow begin at around the 2.5 mile marker (a month ago it was just before the flat spot with podium, so was about 1.5-1.75 miles up or so). The snow was not icy but slushy. Let me tell you that instep crampons don't do a heck of a lot of good in the slush. Mine don't, anyway, because the spikes are short and can't dig in very far, so you slide just about as much as someone without. No views today - clouds completely socked in the top. It was cold and there was a noisy group of folks next to me, so I didn't rest long at the top. For about the first mile down from the top it was mostly a standing glissade in the slush. Trees with snow were melting so it seemed like rain. My pack wound up being quite wet, so maybe not a bad idea to put a cover on it or liner in it or something. Mud, mud, and more mud once again. I can't believe that when I was almost down, I saw one of the trail runners going up for a second time. Geez! If running it once wasn't enough! There oughtta be a law! wink.gif When I got back to my car, my pants were filthy with mud splashed up to my knees. My trip up there a month ago was a nice one, but today's was a perfect example why I remember I didn't like Si. Maybe it's time to get out the maps!

kleet
meat tornado

kleet
meat tornado
PostMon Apr 01, 2002 11:16 am 
Thanks for the report(s). It can get monotonous - I was doing it every week last year for Rainier prep. I've noticed that when I was at the trailhead by 6:30AM on a weekend, I avoided a lot of the crowds. What suprised me is that I met some people on their way DOWN at that hour. yawn.gif

A fuxk, why do I not give one?
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSat Apr 13, 2002 7:02 pm 
Because It Is Real -- evening upon Mt. Si -- It's real.....the darkness of the night The colors fade from sight, The stillness with no light Wanting the morning and the bright. It's real.....the rain of the mountain that soaks our clothes Inside thy boots to now so-cold toes, Little rills which turn to raging torrent And footsteps of the trail mud, further, into the snow they now warrant. It's real.....the tall dark forest of weeping branches Wind swept now and saved like that of parceled ranches, Beneath the wing of soaring hawk and rain-gray sky Is the lovely mountain we called upon today.....stark and lonely.....hello, Mt. Si. McPilchuck 4-12-02 (inspired by the evening trek upon Mt. Si of Hans Helm and Jeff Mix)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
salish

salish
PostSun Apr 14, 2002 7:40 pm 
That's beautiful McP. and oh so appropriate. Thanks. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.