Forum Index > Trip Reports > Bootjack Mt, Highchair Mt. 8-4-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
TrailPair

TrailPair
PostSun Aug 05, 2007 9:01 pm 
Looking for an overnight trip with the best chance of sunshine and minimal bugs, we chose Highchair Mt. Jim K had done this trip twice before as a dayhike, and was willing to return with us to do it as a backpack trip. He knew of a small meadow just 800ft. below the summit which had a tarn, the only possible place to camp on Blackjack ridge. But we did not know if the tarn would be dry by now or not. We figured that we could drop off the south side of the ridge to find water, if necessary, but were really hoping for that tarn to still be there. Anyway, trail 1565 gains elevation quickly, but it is very smooth and well graded. Around 5900ft. we broke out of the trees in a beautiful silver forest. When we reached Blackjack ridge we turned right, going off trail, up the ridge to the summit of Bootjack.There is a pretty good boot path here. We enjoyed the views for almost an hour before descending toward Highchair, which is a beautiful red mountain.
Silver forest
Silver forest
Jim K below summit of Bootjack
Jim K below summit of Bootjack
Mt. Daniel from Bootjack
Mt. Daniel from Bootjack
First view of Highchair.
First view of Highchair.
It was so nice to not have to worry about route finding. Jim K knew the way! We went to the left side of the first bump, and went over (slightly to the left) the second bump. The ridge then turned westerly, and soon the grassy ridge turned to red rock. This was the stickiest rock we have ever scrambled! It was very solid. Then about 800ft. below the summit we found the small bench with a meadow. There was still water in the tarn! Upon closer inspection we saw that the tarn was filled with hundreds of tadpoles! Oh well!
Harding mt. from Blackjack Ridge.
Harding mt. from Blackjack Ridge.
Our drinking water?
Our drinking water?
Jim K reluctantly leaving summit
Jim K reluctantly leaving summit
Blackjack ridge
Blackjack ridge
K and Jim K on summit of Highchair
K and Jim K on summit of Highchair
Bob near summit of Highchair
Bob near summit of Highchair
Back down to the meadow
Back down to the meadow
After setting up camp we headed west toward the summit, and to our surprise found a small creek. We were thrilled! No tadpole water tonight. We regained the ridge and followed it to the summit on good rock. The views were fantastic! Highlights were the Cradle, Mt. Stuart, Cashmere, Ingall Peaks, Mt. Daniel, etc. We stayed on the summit for 1.5 hours. Jim K did not want to leave the bug free summit. The only bugs on this whole trip were in the meadow where we were camped, but they were not too bad even there.
K on Blackjack Ridge, Highchair beyond
K on Blackjack Ridge, Highchair beyond
Jim K scrambling Blackjack Ridge.
Jim K scrambling Blackjack Ridge.
The Limbo Log.
The Limbo Log.
We awoke Sunday to clear skies, and had nice hike out. Elevation gain: 5600ft (RT) Distance: 11 miles RT

This thing called work is interfering with my play
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
the Zachster

the Zachster
PostSun Aug 05, 2007 10:21 pm 
Thats a great area. I would have wondered about water though...glad you found some good stuff. Love the tadpole and paint brush pictures! up.gif

"May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am"
silly_traveler
~ roaming ~

silly_traveler
~ roaming ~
PostSun Aug 05, 2007 11:22 pm 
I'm glad you guys didn't have to drink that tadpole water! hockeygrin.gif I like the last three action photos agree.gif up.gif

♫ You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. And you're the one who will decide where you'll go. Oh the places you'll go. - Dr. Seuss
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 1:24 pm 
Thanks guys. A worthy trip indeed. up.gif

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:06 pm 
Nice job in bagging a couple more of the Backcourt 100... now it's time to work on JimK to take you to The Cradle...

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------
JimK

JimK
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:31 pm 
Once to The Cradle was more than enough. I'd be glad to sit at Sprite Lake with binoculars and chear them on...

ragman and rodman

ragman and rodman
PostMon Aug 06, 2007 3:32 pm 
I couldn't agree more with you on The Cradle... once is plenty!

"Teanaway 70" Peaks List... a guide to hiking and scrambling in the Teanaway Area. ----------------