Forum Index > Trip Reports > TNAB Visits McClellan Butte
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 6:30 pm 
On a typical cool and overcast August evening, TNAB ventured out the I-90 corridor once again for a night in the hills, this time setting our sights on McClellan Butte. We numbered thirteen: Alexei (Magellan); Chris M and his friend Jim; Chris S (CHR15) - first time out since injuring his back (good to have you "back"!); Dale (onetwolaugh); Don (Malachai Constant); Jim S; Joseph; Kirk (sospeso); Larry (and Digger); Steve (Yukon222), Yet and Yours Truly. The main group started out by 5:55 PM. As many of you know, the trail is undergoing "renovation". The recent damp weather has left portions of the trail kinda goopy where the ground is soft. On the long, eastside traverse, a couple pieces of equipment denote the line of progress. The gully crossings seemed strangely small without snow to negotiate. After 100 minutes of hiking around the forested ridge, we arrived at the Butte with its requisite summit scramble. The suddenness of being able to stare down at I-90 without obstruction makes the scramble feel very exposed. Still, it is a simple affair, no more than borderline class 3. In due course, our party was on the summit by 7:45 PM. Some sunbreaks added color, but it was chilly and a bit windy on top. Larry spotted a trip of mountain goats on the ridge south of us, their shifting white bodies contrasting with the thick greenery. Wild life, two weeks in a row! We stuck around for about 20 minutes, then started our descent. About halfway out, it was necessary to use headlamps. We exited the trail by 9:45 PM. A half dozen of us then made our way to the North Bend Bar & Grill, where the service was subpar (apparently our waitress had a hot date and was eager to get off shift). Expecting more from our party to show up, we ordered WAY too many nachos - oh well! Overall, good hike! 6.2 miles round trip 3.4k elevation gain Cheers, -Mark (In the right place now! smile.gif)

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 6:38 pm 
What a fun night. We're back in sync once again! Joseph and I watch yukon in action as we debate the summit scramble.
TNAB descends.

Yet

Yet
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 6:40 pm 
Mesahchie Mark wrote:
Chris S (CHR15) - first time out since injuring his back (good to have you "back"!);
Hehe...Mark made a funny! Ditto. smile.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 7:01 pm 
She was on top when I got there, so she made the scramble. Thanks for being nice to a newbie! It was a pleasant evening to be up on a summit with a view out toward the sound. Here are a few pics: Chris playing "name that peak"
chris-points
chris-points
Chris getting a shot from another vantage point
chris-shoots
chris-shoots
A few views of the waning evening light
sound-sunset
sound-sunset
sun-setting-over-North-Bend
sun-setting-over-North-Bend
Folks packing to go, demonstrating the characteristic TNAB sense of motion (from what I can gather from TRs and one outing)
time-to-go
time-to-go
Heading down...
heading-down
heading-down

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst

Mesahchie Mark
A Lerxst
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 7:07 pm 
Yes, welcome to TNAB, joker! Of course, I didn't make the connection until now. doh.gif

Cheers, Mesahchie Mark
huron

huron
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 7:52 pm 
Its good to be BACK!
5 x-rays and a CT scan to find two broken vertebrae.
5 x-rays and a CT scan to find two broken vertebrae.
Resting on Mclellan Butte summit pyramid
Resting on Mclellan Butte summit pyramid
Climbing for summit
Climbing for summit
Trail up East ridge
Trail up East ridge

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)

Mark Griffith
(Embrace yourself)
PostFri Aug 10, 2007 9:40 pm 
Yet wrote:
Man that is hella steep!

yukon222

yukon222
PostSat Aug 11, 2007 8:59 pm 
Trail improvement work is still underway but they are making good progress. Didn't check the elevation but they are probably halfway up.
trail improvement.jpg
trail improvement.jpg
chester morse lake.jpg
chester morse lake.jpg
Caught up to Yet and Joseph at the summit base. I wasn't too anxious to look at the rock face and drop for very long so I grabbed a handful off sound rock and went up. It looks worse than it really is. The rock is very stable with multiple grab points.
joseph & yet debate butte.jpg
joseph & yet debate butte.jpg
mc clellan rock scramble.jpg
mc clellan rock scramble.jpg
yet's scramble.jpg
yet's scramble.jpg
summit hug.jpg
summit hug.jpg
Cool temps with light wind on the summit but interesting sun beams lit up the valley floor and pushed thru the slots in the nearby ridges. Stayed up on top as long as possible to watch the sun slip away. Summer (what there was of it) definitely seems to be leaving.
magellan on the edge.jpg
magellan on the edge.jpg
mc clellan rock descent.jpg
mc clellan rock descent.jpg
chris's back.jpg
chris's back.jpg
ghost tree.jpg
ghost tree.jpg
mc clellan sunset pano.jpg
mc clellan sunset pano.jpg

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Aug 11, 2007 9:04 pm 
Great stuff guys!! I will get some pictures and video posted tommorow. Yet rocked that rock! Joker, good to meet you. Chris, you the man!

Yet

Yet
PostSun Aug 12, 2007 9:50 am 
Magellan, thanks! I wasn't sure I was going to do it. When Mark got there, he said let's go, and I did it before I could overthink it and lose my nerve. It turned out to be really fun! (I didn't look down.) Joker, I didn't realize that was you, either! Nice to meet you. smile.gif Nice pics, joker, Chris, and yukon - love the summit hug. smile.gif

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Aug 12, 2007 5:12 pm 
It was nice to meet you guys too! I took this shot last night on the way home from being leashed at Snow Lake. The view of the left skyline near the peak gives a small sense of the A-I-R exposure that you have behind your butt as you feel somehow more cautious along the scramble to the top of the Butte than you do on a typical 3rd class stretch of similar difficulty.

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm 
Another great night out with TNAB. Our upper road start placed us between a shooting gallery and an ATV course. paranoid.gif No problem, it's a multiple use forest. I dropped down just below this road to inspect some relics. I believe they are from an old loggers camp.
Ancient ore crusher
Ancient ore crusher
Foundation for house
Foundation for house
Radiator of some kind?
Radiator of some kind?
The newish trail is not quite as steep as the old. It seemed like we avoided a couple of the gullies that have snow well into spring. The raw earth of the trail proved the work is fresh. What appeared to be ATV tracks were in fact the trail machine. Kind of interesting to see a mini-track-hoe a couple of miles up the trail.
Peekaboo
Peekaboo
Raw trail
Raw trail
Easy way up the mountain
Easy way up the mountain
Steepish look at I-90
Steepish look at I-90
Why the trail wraps around
Why the trail wraps around
With fast in fronter and faster behind, I had no time to rest, and barely took pictures. Somehow we made it to the scramble area very quickly. I did not realize how cold it was until I touched the rock. Multiple layers were needed on top.
The sun was not shining on us, but for us. A few goats appeard on a knob nearby. The group ate, hugged and even posed. It was sure nice to see Chris back after his vertabrae bashing. It was sad to wish Kirk 'Bon Voyage' as he travels back to NY with his family. Dale and Chris (Joker) were the new faces to me.
Chris is not broken
Chris is not broken
Three blurry goats
Three blurry goats
The gang
The gang
Chris on the edge
Chris on the edge
Queen of the mountains
Queen of the mountains
Nice light
Nice light
We did not stay long. The lure of NBBG was too much for some to resist. Headlamps came out, and I think I even saw my breath! Brrrr! Approximately 7 miles R/T, 3150' of cumulative gain, 1:55 up, 1:30 down.

Yet

Yet
PostSun Aug 12, 2007 11:20 pm 
Wow, Magellan! Those videos are cool as heck. I even look like I knew what I was doing. wink.gif Thanks for sharing them! smile.gif

H. Hound

H. Hound
PostMon Aug 13, 2007 5:40 pm 
Magellan wrote:
I dropped down just below this road to inspect some relics. I believe they are from an old loggers camp.
Actually that's the site of the Last Chance/Alice claims. You walked right past one of the Adits. It looks like a culvert for the road above, but if you look, it's a flooded Adit. There used to be an ore car sitting on rails in front of the mine, way back in the 70's. Additionally there used to be a steam cylinder, and other junk around as well.

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking

EastKing
Surfing and Hiking
PostMon Aug 13, 2007 7:00 pm 
That look like a good scramble! eek.gif

YouTube | SummitPost Saw the depths of despair. Now I am salvaging what time I have left on Earth.