Forum Index > Food & Grub > Can you over dehydrate?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
ScottM

ScottM
PostThu Aug 16, 2007 8:28 pm 
Since reading some of the posts about making your own trail meals I have been doing a lot more of my own stuff instead of relying on store bought meals like Mountain House, etc. I've owned an American Harvest (fan & adjustable temp) dehydrator for years and have started using it a lot more this year. I just did some ravioli (the fresh kind stuffed with grilled chicken and mozzarella) that I bought at Costco. Before I hit the trail I always test everything on the home stove. I put the ravioli in the boiling pot of water and let it cook for upwards of fifteen minutes. I pulled it out and the filling was still pretty hard and crunchy inside and the outside was pretty chewy. I dehydrated it overnight. Can you over dehydrate something like this? How much time would you give something like this?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 9:04 am 
Things that you dehydrate in big chunks take forever to rehydrate, or may never do so. They take a long time to dehydrate, too, because you have to keep going until the middle of the chunk is dry. Unfortunately, based on my own experience, you're either going to have to break the stuff up into little bitty pieces or forget it. My own experience with dehydrating peas (they were the consistency of buckshot, capable of breaking a tooth, after 20 minutes' cooking on the stove) was similar. With some things, freeze-dried is better.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Canuck

Canuck
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 10:52 am 
I've brought in the dried tortellini (from the box in the noodle section of the store) and that cooked very quickly. It didn't weigh much, either. (edit: I also packed in dried alfredo sauce, and fresh chopped mushrooms & tomatoes. It was pretty good. Heavy though, but sure a nice treat). If you are doing just one night, do you need to dehydrate the fresh ravioli? If you froze it the night before, it should be fine to carry in your pack, ready to cook that night. That way it'll only take a few minutes of boiling. Might be a little heavier than it would be dehydrated but not that much, depending on how much you're bringing. ??

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostFri Aug 17, 2007 11:09 am 
The big ravi's and tortelli's don't dry so well, due to the fillings (higher in fat) and being big. Btw, the dried little ravi's and tort's that you get in bags in the pasta aisle, while they call for 15-20 minutes boiling time, you can cheat on trail. I have prepared them in a freezer bag, pouring boiling water over them and them leaving them in a cozy for 20 minutes. They were edible. You can also bring them to a boil in a pan, pull off the heat and let sit in the pan (cozied) for 20 minutes. The ones at Trader Joes are quite good!

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.