Forum Index > Trail Talk > Seeking Mtn Biker-Hikers - Dual Transport Partners Wanted
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Beave

Beave
PostSun Feb 24, 2002 4:33 pm 
Looking forward to this Spring/Summer/Fall, I'm trying to put together some combo bike/hike trips, as well as rally a few good candidates who already enjoy or are interested in this type of trip.... Most my friends are biased to either all hiking or all biking... For the most part, hiking in or out of old or gated roads puts me to sleep, though it is necessary to approach some destinations... I'd much rather grind up a mountainside via bike, hike a trail to a summit or lake, then have a relaxing (or white-knuckled!) descent back to the cars on the bike... Some destinations I have in mind already are Russian Butte via Granite Creek, Bessemer Mtn, Mt Teneriffe/Si Combo (already done it), Dirty Harrys Peak, Scorpion Mtn/Joan Lake etc.... More are on the way.... I'm also looking at trails outside the wilderness boundary that look like spectacular trips... I look forward to exchanging ideas and meeting others whom are interested... Craig res06774@gte.net

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Marshall Taylor

Marshall Taylor
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 2:37 pm 
The area around Monte Cristo makes a nice bike ride / hike combo. A 40 minute ride in and a 20 minute bike ride out. Hikes abound, silver lake, twin lakes, glacier basin, a few mountains to climb, etc. A 500 foot (?) elevation gain on the ride in. Alas, no loop trips to make life interesting. Or one could try a loop trip Hyas Lake / Tuck&Robin Lake / Paddy-Go-Easy Pass by hiding the bikes at Paddy-Go-Easy pass. No too much bike riding there. Might be able to do that in one day. But, carrying a 20 - 30 lb pack while biking is doable. If you are set on I-90 corridor, then maybe a loop trip involving gold creek / rampart ridge&lakes / alta mtn /hi-box mountain by storing the bikes at the rachel lake trailhead.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Beave

Beave
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 6:53 pm 
Good ideas Marshall.... 20-30lbs is the norm for me, either commuting to work or just riding around the local trails.... I'd also like to do Rock Mtn/Lake and Merrit Lake out by Stevens Pass.... I've been researching my "Lookouts" book for trails to high peaks in unprotected areas.... Looks like several weekends this summer will be occupied by mtn-bike-mtn-climbs =) Craig

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Feb 26, 2002 11:06 pm 
Hey Beave: I can endorse Teanaway Butte as a bike ascent. The summit lookout bldg is gone, but of course the views remain. The access road is narrow enough to be fun, and makes a steady, non-killer climb....with some loop options. I particularly like biking on Swauk Formation mountains like this because the roadbeds are smoooooth. It is a delight to descend like the wind, banking on the needle-sprinkled curves. The gated roads are best. No jeeps, no ruts. Miles of smooth sunny cruising. Grab a map and a couple of H2O bottles and have at 'em.

Beave

Beave
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 5:53 pm 
Yeah, the Teanaway area is nice... I've done the ridge a couple times, as well as Miller Peak... Check out my comical report of Miller Peak in early season =) http://www.geocities.com/res0677400mtnbike/miller.html lol.gif

Scrooge
Famous Grouse

Scrooge
Famous Grouse
PostWed Feb 27, 2002 8:44 pm 
Beave. You are truly crazy. I've done Teanaway ridge once and come up from Shaser Creek twice, once reversing the route you came down and once as a crosscountry. But never anything like that trip of yours! tongue.gif

Something lost behind the ranges. Lost and waiting for you....... Go and find it. Go!
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 2:08 am 
Beave, I guess your new ice axe is relatively light compared to your old make shift version wink.gif. Great story, although if we ever go biking I will probably be playing the part of exhausted narrator.

Beave

Beave
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 6:44 pm 
Tom, If you're looking to get into good biking shape, the logging roads on Tiger (Hwy 18 side) are always a good workout... You can ride up to PooPoo point and watch the hangliders take off... Also, the trails open in April(?) and are a blast to ride... We'll definately have to hook up and do that sometime.... Have you gotten your bike yet?? For a real (REAL!) grind, try the Teneriffe logging road.... Oh man.... I have never ridden the whole thing w/o having to get off... I either get exhausted, or the road gets too steep and loose and the tires spin out!!! "Turbo steep!!" I once road it with a 37 year old racer, and I got SMOKED!!! He rode the entire thing, even the 2 miles of snow near the top w/o stopping or getting off... eek.gif Lets go ride, Craig

mustang

mustang
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 8:09 am 
Okay, I might be up for going on one of these trips (since I've only got one response dizzy.gif ). I really enjoy hiking and decided that this summer I'd try biking as well since my daughter's getting real heavy for the pack. Keep us posted on dates and times.

Beave

Beave
PostFri Mar 01, 2002 4:00 pm 
Sounds good... I'll repost when the season comes around Craig