Forum Index > Gear Talk > Question about TopoZone
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 11:58 am 
I try to pull up different maps in a search and I get absolutely nothing! No matter what I type in for a search - even something as obvious as Mt Si, I get zero search results. Is there a trick to this? mad.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 12:44 pm 
search for "mount si" instead of "mt si". also, click on the drop down box and select washington. that worked for me. the "tips" link just below the search button is helpful too smile.gif. http://www.topozone.com/

catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 12:54 pm 
I tried it that way for other 'mounts' and peaks and it didn't work. Do they just have a very limited library with hardly anything in Washington or something? (oh, and I DID select WA for all of them)

Map Lover

Map Lover
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 1:28 pm 
If you read the helps on Topozone.com, they give hints. Don't abbreviate. Green Mtn is "Green Mountain", not Mount Green. YOu can also search for a peak nearby, or a stream or creek or river. There is a pretty large database of names, but they don't have everything. Topo! is similar (uses the same gov't database).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 2:04 pm 
Try the advanced search: http://www.topozone.com/findplace.asp Name: Green Mount* (with the asterix) State: WA Select: "contains the word or phrase" option

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 4:59 pm 
I love topozone.com I rarely buy USGS maps now, and never purchase green trails All I do now is get it zoomed to 1:25,000 on the area I am going (which is magnified more than a USGS and 2-3 times more than a ####ty green trails map), make it "large", then make sure my screen res is real high (1152 X 864+), then I "print screen", then paste it in photoshop, crop and size and add waypoints, or notes on it. Then I get glossy photo paper and print it on my HP photo printer (glossy paper does not smear when wet as much as others). This is the only way for me these days, untill I get some new software, but until then - this is the free way!

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 7:03 pm 
Topozone offers seamless maps. You could just keep clicking across the US. It takes a little longer but click into a known map, like "Snoqualmie". Then just click over to the area which you really want. That is what I often do.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 7:21 pm 
I have downloaded the 7.5 Min quads from http://duff.geology.washington.edu/data/raster/drg/ and burnt CD's for most of the state. agree.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
catwoman

catwoman
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 10:43 pm 
I think that's the way to go - to pick a bigger area (like Snoqualmie Pass). It seemed to work. Thanks everyone!