Forum Index > Trip Reports > Anyone recently hiked the Sawtooths?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 1:56 pm 
I couldn't find any reports but we're planning on going there in two weeks and are looking for info regarding smoke levels in the wilderness? fires are all in the surrounding forests but ?? Anyone have any experience?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JimK

JimK
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 2:40 pm 
I'll be there in two weeks as well. The fire near Sun Valley seems to be under control. I have not heard about any fires in the Sawtooths. Perhaps one of our Idaho members will chime in. I did have good luck calling the Ranger Office in Stanley last year. Hard to find the numbers on their website but I tracked them down. -------------------------------------------------- Sawtooth NRA... Sara Baldwin, Area Ranger, HC 64, Box 8291, Ketchum, ID 83340, 208-727-5000, Fax: 208-727-5029 -------------------------------------------------- Stanley Office… Joe Harper, Deputy Area Ranger, HC 64, Box 9900, Stanley, ID 83278, 208-774-3000, Fax: 208-774-3003

Jamin Smitchger

Jamin Smitchger
PostMon Sep 10, 2007 8:07 pm 
I was up in the Selway-Bitteroot on Labor Day and visibility was 2 miles. Be sure that you check conditions for smoke up there. Selway-Bitteroot Wilderness=smoke https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7962143 By the way, there may be snow up at that elevation in Sept.

Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostTue Sep 11, 2007 11:38 am 
Thanks for the number. I called the RS there & the issue is intermittent smoke. some days are fine, others are not. In fact, most days are fine but there's no predicting. there are no fires in the sawtooths themselves but in several of the surrounding national forests. so we're not sure.

John Morrow

John Morrow
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 8:54 am 
Just got back from there. Heavy rain on Wed. 9/5 almost put out the Ketchum fire. We had crystal clear weather for two days. Then on Sat. light drift smoke came in from the NW. Views up high were mutted some but still so very beautiful. The smell of smoke is light but constant--- I love that smell. Stars were excellent, better than here in Roslyn even through the smoke. I don't think it should stop you, should only imrove with the longer colder nights effect on the fires. Happy travels, John

“Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”-Mary Oliver “A nation that continues year after year to spend more money on military defense than on programs of social uplift is approaching spiritual doom.” ― MLK Jr.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 11:10 am 
Hey, all you guys,,, WHERES THE BLOODY PICTURES? Except you James......

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Hiking Tuque

Hiking Tuque
PostWed Sep 12, 2007 7:41 pm 
The smoke is no more in Ketchum (Castle Rock Fire is out) but the Stanley basin is still getting smoke - family in Ketchum was just up there but said it was OK. Where are you headed?

Traildoggie

Traildoggie
PostThu Sep 13, 2007 10:21 am 
Not sure exactly. we're supposed to do a short backpack in Glacier NP but the weather is looking iffy. then down to idaho. If the first backpack doesn't work we'll look for something in the sawtooths. we want to do a dayhike or two also. we were going to stay in the salmon area. But if it's smoky or raining we'll adjust our itinerary. nothing definite.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Sep 14, 2007 11:09 pm 
Dude! Where's the Trip Report?

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short