Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Assisted Suicide
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 8:52 am 
To add to the recent hot topics, what do you think about the legality of assisted suicide? Do we or don't we have the right to end our lives how and when we wish? Is this a right we all should have, or should the government have the final say? Is it really "junk science", as some call it? embarassedlaugh.gif Recents posts in other threads show my views, and I'm sure they'll come out again here. I'm curious how all of you feel about it.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 9:15 am 
I'm all for assisted suicide. Hell I can make a noose, I just can't make my wife walk through it. But I can dream.......

Art is an adventure.
Mal Con

Mal Con
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:17 am 
My mother had always told me that if she ever got to the state where she could not take care of herself or recognize her family to "just shoot her". She later developed Alzeheimers and had to go to assisted living and eventually a nursing home. This process took about 6 years during and cost about $300,000. I could not of course comply with her wishes without a conviction for murder jail time and impoverishment of my family.She could not even recognize her own grandchildren. The system as it exists now subsidizes an entire industry keeping breathing (I would not call it alive) individuals aginst their will enforced by criminal sanctions. In violation of the proper function of nature (or you may call it God).

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
Dante

Dante
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 10:28 am 
I have not problem with assisted suicide, but I don't think doctors should have to assist anyone (Since it violates their oath, it should be their decision) and I don't think insurance companies, HMOs or the like should be involved at all (major conflicts of interest).

christy_E

christy_E
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 1:10 pm 
One Thanksgiving.. at the family gathering.. Aunts, Uncles, neices, nephews, parents, granparents.. doing the usual family thing.. eating, drinking, fighting, bragging. My granpa hadn't been home long from the hospital.. He had been in and out with a bad heart. He made his wishes known to the family. He would end his own life.. on his terms.. and when he decided. Oh they went nuts. He offered them all his gun.. if they didn't like his decision. No one took it. A few hours later.. during the 2nd round of eats.. I was in his room talking with him. I told him.. you just do what you have to do. Only YOU know whats best for You. Right after that.. he shot himself. (ick!!!) not a sight I will EVER forget. You can imagine how the rest of thanksgiving went. The whole herd of relatives went into counseling.. How could he do this to THEM ??? At that time.. I was only 14yrs old. I never understood their reasoning.. that he did this to them. Why didn't I have a problem with it? After all.. I was the one in the room with him when he did it. They didn't see it...they didn't talk with him... they didn't watch him. To this day.. because.. I didn't "wig" out my family still claims that I am in denial.. sheesh.. get over it people. We get to choose when our pets get to be put out of misery. Why can't we do the same for ourselves?

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 1:24 pm 
Wow. Talk about a sobering experience. I agree with everything else you said tho.

elkendo

elkendo
PostFri Aug 01, 2003 2:43 pm 
Christy_E If none of your relatives had balls enough to take the gun from a man that had just stated he was going to commit suicede then I think they condoned his decision. I don't agree with shooting yourself at a Thanksgiving dinner but if you would like to off yourself in the privacy of your home or out in the woods somewhere then have at it. Everybody else will just have to get over it. I have thought many times that if I were diagnosed with a terminal illness I might just put on some shorts and a tee shirt and head out into the back country. I don't think freezing to death would be that painful. Now if you don't have mobility then it becomes a different issue. Then you may need some help. I am sure that there are plenty of resources on the internet that could instruct you on a sure and painless method to get the job done.

Miss Normandy

Miss Normandy
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 6:16 am 
I do not believe it is my right to pass judgement on what another person wants to do with thier life. If I ever want to die someday, damnit I'm going to die how I want to die and no one is going to tell me whether or not I should or shouldn't.

Support Search and Rescue. GET LOST!