Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Garland Hot Springs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
JimK

JimK
PostTue Jun 03, 2003 7:54 pm 
Very interesting. Thanks Cliff and thank you Fred!!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kilopapa

Kilopapa
PostSat Aug 02, 2003 10:49 pm 
Garland Mineral Springs
Hi, I also used to go to Garland as kid in the 50's. It was a Christian Resort, run by the Sharpes. My cousins stayed there for some time and I wonder if Fred might have known them. Their name are Merrill, Carol, Faith and Wayne Petterson. Their parents were Ernest and Alta. I remember the flood and then the fire. The last time I saw it was in 1974. It was so sad to see the ruins. There were people living there at that time and they wouldn't let us on the property. Do the Sharpes still own it? I had great memories there. Thanks for the great picture. Regards, Keith Petterson

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 9:07 am 
Keith, Based on what guest member "Fred" has stated on the previous page, I would guess that Cameron Sharpe still owns the property (see previous messages on page one). You and I were there about the same time (1974-75). I haven't seen any messages fom Fred since that post, so I don't know if he's still cruising this board. Hopefully, he'll log back in and see your message and contact you. Thanks for writing - your experiences and memories there are important for all of us. Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Fred Seifert

Fred Seifert
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 8:44 pm 
Keith, So good to hear from another former Garlandite. I'm sorry, but your cousins names don't ring a bell. That was so long ago and the Sharpes took in many while they operated Garland. Cameron Sharpe still owns Garland, if he is still alive. I contacted them about ten years ago. He was remarried and living in Arizona. Medora (Sharpe) died many years ago. If he is not alive, then his kids would still have ownership. Mrs Mooney, (John, Ray, and Barbara's mom), has also passed. Janis Sharpe is married and lives in Everett. Jon Sharpe (the youngest) is a minister and lives near Seattle. Ray Mooney, the last I knew, lived outside of Spokane in Eastern Washington. I am leaving Southern California on August 9th. With my brother, we are going to take a leisurely trip up the Coast to Seattle. We will be checking out the old neighborhoods; visiting Woodland Park and either walking or biking around Green Lake. And, of course, stopping at the Spud at Green Lake for some scumptious fish and chips. We plan to also stop by King's Garden, now Crista, in Richmond Highlands. We lived there before moving to Garland. We met Sharpes there after they were rescued by motorized sleds, the winter of 1953-54. They lived at King's until the thaw and they were able to return to Garland. After leaving Seattle, we plan to visit Garland. I will take pictures and drink from the springs. Maybe I will even hike up to the old power plant and venture down to Bear Falls. I'm not as young or limber as I was in the 50's, so we shall see! Who knows, we might even run across some of you from this list??? That would be interesting! Time to start packing for the journey, so will close for now. Fred

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
salish

salish
PostMon Aug 04, 2003 8:26 am 
Fred, I would love to join you and your brother up in Garland, if that would work. I'll leave my email at the end of this message, so just contact me and let me know when you think you'll be up this way - I'll leave my number in an email. Spuds is still greasy as heck and still good, and Woodland Park is incredible now (the guns off the Olympia are gone, I think). I still miss Bobo. If you haven't been to Dreamlake in a while you're in for culture shock - it's hugely populated and there are even rules as to which way you have to walk/rollerblade/bike. Anyway, here's my address: salish@foxinternet.com Thanks, Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Marmot

Marmot
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 2:55 pm 
Salish wrote:
the guns off the Olympia are gone, I think
Salish, are those the ones that are just west of the zoo parking lot (maybe 20 yards from the RV parking area? If so, yes they still are there.

salish

salish
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 9:03 am 
Marmot wrote:
Salish wrote:
the guns off the Olympia are gone, I think
Salish, are those the ones that are just west of the zoo parking lot (maybe 20 yards from the RV parking area? If so, yes they still are there.
They are? Yep, those are the ones. My daughter told me they were gone. That's good. I loved to play on those guns when I was a little kid. Thanks for letting me know.

Marmot

Marmot
PostThu Aug 07, 2003 10:16 am 
Unless they removed them in the last few weeks, they are still there. I didn't even know they existed there until Otter and I were walking up to the zoo from the SW corner.

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 12:59 am 
Trek to Garland
Hi All, I and my brother made a trip to Garland Mineral Springs on August 19,2003. It had been fifteen years since we were there and things have certainly changed. The main road now veers off at the San Juan campgrounds and misses Garland all together. To get to Garland you must now take the right fork. Approaching Garland you come to a sign announcing the end of the county road. Here is a gate across the road and a sign informing people that Baptist Fellowship of Sultan has leased the property and is now the caretaker. We walked around the gate barrier and walked onto the property. We could see evidence of people living there, but found no one available except a barking dog. We walked the property surveying the effects of Mother Nature over the last fifteen years. The river has continued to take more and more of the original property. Where the lodge and pool once stood has been taken over by the river. The cement foundations are gone and trees are growing where the lodge and pool once stood. As far as cabins, most of them still are standing, but in dire need of repair. Cabin One, the one with the steepled roof, is still standing and looks as if someone is occupying it. The mineral springs were still there. The first one had been boxed-in to make it a spa/bathtub. We filled jugs full of the soda water and also took some of the muddy mineral water. I am enjoying some of it while I write to you. We left with mixed emotions. It was so good to tromp the grounds again. It brought back so many fond memories, but it was sad to see the deterioation that had happened over the years. I took several pictures and will attempt to attach them. Fred P.S. I called Cliff to meet us, but his schedule was such that he was unable to do so.
Cabin #1 at Garland
Cabin #1 at Garland

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:08 am 
Garland Trek
I didn't seem to be able to add more than one attachment to my reply, so I will attempt to add more now. Fred
Cabins at Garland
Cabins at Garland

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:13 am 
Garland Trek
I was only able to add one again. Here is another picture.
Entrance to Garland
Entrance to Garland

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:17 am 
Garland Trek
And another
Garland Mineral Springs
Garland Mineral Springs

Zipper

Zipper
PostSat Aug 30, 2003 1:40 am 
Garland Trek
Here's more!!
Only remains of pool at Garland
Only remains of pool at Garland
Soda Spring @ Garland
Soda Spring @ Garland
Spring#1 at Garland
Spring#1 at Garland
Tom at Garland
Tom at Garland
Road to Garland
Road to Garland

salish

salish
PostSun Aug 31, 2003 9:52 pm 
Thank you
Fred, Thank you for the great story and photos of Garland. I'm really sorry I wasn't able to make it up there, but on such short notice I just couldn't slip away. I would have liked to have gone along because, while descriptions and photos are wonderful, the oral histories, and at-the-moment recollections, would have been interesting t see and hear, also. To be honest with you I would have expected the buildings and stuctures to be even more run down then they are now. although there are several that look pretty much derelict, as you've mentioned. As for the river and nature taking back the pools and springs, it was a gift from mother earth and maybe it was only on loan for a while - who knows? I agree with you about these trips sometimes being a little bittersweet. There are places in my background and those of my parents that are no more. Places where people gathered and lived their lives and now they are nothing more than burned structures with only foundations. Mostly just memories. That's why I think it's great that you and others have shared your story and photos of Garland. From this time on your history and photos of Garland Hot Springs will be available for all the world to read about on the web, so it will never be forgotten. Thanks for sharing this with us. Cliff

SeaNat

SeaNat
PostFri Sep 19, 2003 9:13 am 
I have a peculiar story about the Garland Springs. About 8 years ago, after hiking to Blanca lake, A friend and I poked around on the Garland property looking for the springs. Later we drove to Index and asked a clerk at the store about the springs. She said,"You guys are lucky you didn't get shot at!" What's up with that? Were there squatters on the property or is that what the locals tell all the tourons to keep them out? At the time I didn't think twice about it, knowing the Sky Valley fairly well. But after reading these posts, I think it was B.S. whether it was a real threat or not.