Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > NIMBY (at least not YET...)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 8:48 am 
Tongass NF Having worked/lived up there for a while, I have seen the destruction many times. Did you know the original investigations that lead to vast reductions in logging were started by influential cruise ship passengers who complained about the formerly pristine forests being "removed"? With the state of the logging industry in this state, as well as the current government attitudes, it's just a matter of time before this example will be applied in WA...

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 10:42 am 
Hey there Cat, I agree that what was happening up there was criminal. I say that will never happen here. Think about it, AK is a long ways away. That and there are few people spread out in a vast territory. Here everything is in the public eye. There have been books written about the destruction of the Olympic penn.. I just don't see that kind of thing to be gotten away with here. TB

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
El Puma

El Puma
PostSun Aug 03, 2003 2:47 pm 
BPJ- I can see that. Most of the serious damage has been done on Native logging land up there. This, for the large part, involves not leaving the 100ft buffer between streams and clearcuts. Now, in addition to loss of their income of the land (wood is gone), many Native Nations face the dying of their fish runs as well - due to loss of habitat (silting of the streams). Unfortunately, the majority of Natives were frequently uneducated about this, as the decision-making process usually took place within a small circle. The winners: Logging companies from "outside", through increased harvest. The few additional dollars the land owners made are usually fairly well distributed for everybodies use within the Native Corporation. With the exception of some Olympic Peninsula tracts I do share your opinion that a repeat in this state is unlikely.

kiliki

kiliki
PostTue Aug 05, 2003 1:00 pm 
Alasks is screwed up on many levels...this is the state that shoots wolves by helicopter so that there will be lots of deer for hunters, after all.