Forum Index > Trip Reports > Enchantments backpack - Nov 3-6 2007
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
adk46r

adk46r
PostFri Nov 09, 2007 8:05 am 
We backpacked in via Snow Lake on Sat and out on Tues. The weather was perfect, the sky was clear. There was little snow or ice on the trail except in the basin. However the trail to the upper basin was too icy to do. We camped in the lower basin on Sunday night, and were the only people in the whole basin. Altho it was windy in the late afternoon, it was calm at night. It appeared warmer at night in the basin than by Snow Lake. We never saw another backpacker. There were only a few groups of day hikers, including one through group, and one day group that got to the basin at dawn. Enchanting! Update: here are pictures:
Enchantment Basin 3 night backpack
Enchantment Basin 3 night backpack
Lake Vivian
Lake Vivian
We hiked about 19 miles and 5500 vertical feet with full packs and another 5 miles and 500 vertical feet w/o. Finally, a reality check: We are not totally unskilled in medicine, in winter camping, and in hiking above the treeline in whiteouts. Also, the weather forecast was excellent. Someone who just randomly wanders up there in Nov could win a Darwin award.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 09, 2007 9:52 am 
Welcome to the site. How bout some pics..... doh.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
adk46r

adk46r
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 12:00 pm 
Enchantment basin backpack pictures now online
To people selecting posts by date: I posted my pictures by editing my first post, not by making a new post.

HurlGurl
Wildernested

HurlGurl
Wildernested
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 12:56 pm 
Recollection error
Great photos, thanks! I use to wander the Enchantments once a year. My last backpack into the Enchantments was 1981, mostly entering through Asgard or Rat Creek. I notice that in pictures CIMG1002/3/4 there are grooves cut and or rock glued to the ground? Where along your way was this? Yes it could be my memory, I only have so much RAM ya know...

At the end of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency in 1909, his fiery eldest daughter, Alice, buried a voodoo doll of new First Lady Nellie Taft in the White House lawn.
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 12:58 pm 
HG, that section is just after getting to Vivianne lake. While on the trail to Leprechaun you have to navigate that section.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
adk46r

adk46r
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 1:39 pm 
assists attached to rock
They apparently drilled pairs of 1/2" holes a foot apart, inserted pieces of rebar flush with the rock with the ends bent into the holes, and then packed wet mortar against the rebar. The section above Lake Vivianne would be very nice to have if the rock was wet. They also did this much lower down, below treeline, in a few places, where it sometimes seemed pointless. That is, there were 1 or 2 more exposed places I'd rather have had this.

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 1:57 pm 
Glad you had good conditions for your trip. Interesting to see how much the snow has melted away since a couple weeks earlier.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
summithound
Climbing Connoisseur

summithound
Climbing Connoisseur
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 2:36 pm 
Cool! Thank you for posting so many pictures adk46r. Eye candy is definitely worthwhile when work is so boring. cool.gif Looks like you had a great time up there. I explored the Enchantments once as a day hike. My dad and I made it up to the basin and then I summited Little Annapurna solo. Way to go up.gif

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 2:56 pm 
Thanks for the post and pics, adk46r. I missed your post the first time around and am glad the recent posting of pics brought it back to the top. I'm amazed at how little snow you seemed to have. It really did melt off, as Matt mentioned. Welcome to the site! Looking forward to additional posts in the future!

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostFri Nov 16, 2007 4:58 pm 
Thanks for the pictures. It is a great place. We did an enchantments trip the weekend before. Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
peltoms

peltoms
PostSat Nov 17, 2007 4:58 am 
The starkness of the barren larches just weeks after their glow is striking. It does not show as well after the snow flies.

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Nov 17, 2007 9:56 pm 
Welcome to the site. Thanks for the great TR and pictures. I had to check the date to make sure it was this year. Looks like you guys nailed the right days exactly. Looking foward to more posts.

Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostSat Nov 17, 2007 10:24 pm 
Really surprised there wasn't more snow up there. Good stuff. up.gif

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker

Gabigabs
Trail Breaker
PostSun Nov 18, 2007 5:00 pm 
Those pics are gorgeous. What a great timing too. Seems like you had a marvelous time.

Life is simple... Eat, Sleep, Hike!
adk46r

adk46r
PostSun Nov 18, 2007 9:45 pm 
the week before
What were conditions the previous week? Thanks. I agree that we were totally lucky. Even a few days earlier, we'd figured that this trip was impossible, and were planning to enter the lottery for next summer. Then we saw the weather report...