Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Computer Nerd
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
hikerjo

hikerjo
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 8:17 am 
Your not a computer nerd unless you memorize all the lingo! moon.gif But, computers can be a good thing, like with my reasearch. I can credit 8 military aircraft crash sites that I have located because of the internet. I would never be where I am now in my reasearch if it werent for all this, especially email. cool.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 9:33 am 
marzsit wrote:
you're not a computer nerd until you have a kvm switch on your desk at home connected to 4 computers.....
Hah! No KVM for me. I only have screens hooked up to one of my machines -- two 20" LCDs hanging off of a cheap ol' Radeon 9000. I'll remote desktop into any of the other boxen if I need to work with or modify them. XP's Remote Desktop Client is vastly improved over the one included with 2000 and pretty much any other remote usage tools on the market. BTW - It's computer GEEK. Nerds are a group of folks that got their revenge repeatedly in the 80s. wink.gif Used to be that the amount spent / invested in equipment was a pretty good indicator. If it's close to or more than you paid for your car, yup, you're a geek. These days equipment's so cheap that it's hard to use that as an indicator. Number of machines is a good sign...raw drive space (I think I top a terabyte total currently, with 500 gigs and a DVD-R in one little Shuttle enclosure)...extraneous network equipment...mondo UPSes...or other atypical behavior. For example, I recently put in a dedicated circuit so I could drive a 1000W Color Laser Printer without dimming all the lights in my house, so yeah, I think I qualify. <grin>

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
Dante

Dante
PostWed Aug 06, 2003 10:32 am 
FWIW Webster's says: Main Entry: nerd Pronunciation: 'n&rd Function: noun Etymology: perhaps from nerd, a creature in the children's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950) by Dr. Seuss (Theodor Geisel) Date: 1951 : an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits <computer nerds> - nerd·ish /'n&r-dish/ adjective - nerdy /-dE/ adjective I am not a nerd biggrin.gif