Forum Index > Trip Reports > Beehive Mountain 12/6
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 5:26 pm 
Location : Mission Ridge Rd. at the 1 mile marker Access : Plowed road to Mission Ridge Ski Resort, parking along roadside Maps : GTM - Mission Ridge / Wenatchee, TOPO Stats: 4.25 mi, 1230', 2.75 hr.
Beehive Mountain
Beehive Mountain
I had all my gear together and figured I would take a quick shot at Beehive Mtn. 4580', it's quick with good views (an old lookout), easily accessible, and you just have to keep getting out with your gear acclimating to the weather, terrain, and using your gear. The NOAA forecast was for mostly cloudy with some sun breaks today, full sun Friday and Saturday, but I have plans for both those days and my wife wanted me out of the house prod.gif , so I went. I noticed the blue skies surrounding Wenatchee being overtaken by cloud cover from the South so I kind of slacked off until around 1030 coffee.gif , but finally left and was on the trail at 1040. I parked off the side of Mission Ridge Rd. at the 1 mile marker, and headed up Liberty - Beehive Rd., it gains elevation fairly quickly and keeps to the edge of the mountain offering good views, weather allowing. I was surprised at the absence of snow on the mountainsides more bare than not until 3900' when snow cover predominated albeit about 2-3' less than last weekend.
Mission Ridge / Peak
Mission Ridge / Peak
Old forest road with maybe 8-12 inches of crusty snow.
Old forest road with maybe 8-12 inches of crusty snow.
I turned onto an old forest road going the way I was going for several hundred yards then headed off trail towards the highest point
Some cross country travel above 4000'. There was probably 2-3' of snow here last week.
Some cross country travel above 4000'. There was probably 2-3' of snow here last week.
Beehive summit 4580', site of an old lookout. Great panoramic views on a clear day.
Beehive summit 4580', site of an old lookout. Great panoramic views on a clear day.
I hit the Beehive summit eventually, a nice spot, with light wind and occasional corn snow. The cloud deck appeared to be around 7000' with some lower level fog in places. Now the views from here would be fantastic, had it not been for the overcast winksmile.gif , but they were fine, everything was fine.
Stormy, Hardy, and Forest Mountains and far to the left in white mountains in the Sawtooth area across Lake Chelan.
Stormy, Hardy, and Forest Mountains and far to the left in white mountains in the Sawtooth area across Lake Chelan.
Miller Peak from the East.
Miller Peak from the East.
Three Brothers under wraps. The cloud deck looked to be around 7000' in general.
Three Brothers under wraps. The cloud deck looked to be around 7000' in general.
Behive Mtn Pano 1
Behive Mtn Pano 1
Mission Ridge and Peak
Mission Ridge and Peak
Beehive summit pano2
Beehive summit pano2
I took off from the summit and headed S towards the reservoir, then headed back down, mostly off trail back to the car. The brush wasn't an issue and the area was open for awhile, then getting down lower it became pretty thick and the snow held in there pretty good, still 1-2' in most places. Finally I popped out just up from the car. A nice trip and a definite return on one of the blue sky days.
Brushbusting in the snow.
Brushbusting in the snow.

Living in the Anthropocene
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
wildernessed
viewbagger

wildernessed
viewbagger
PostThu Dec 06, 2007 8:50 pm 
Beehive Lake and  Reservoir
Beehive Lake and Reservoir
Beehive summit pano2