Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Pre-hike chow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Pollster

Pollster
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 6:55 am 
What do you eat before a hike? I scarf down a couple bowls of cereal (due to being in a hurry). Drink a 20 oz bottle of water whilst driving to the trailhead. Eat two bananas at the car. Then I'm usually set for several hours. Seems to work as anti-bonk compound quite nicely.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote View IP address of poster
speedster

speedster
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 12:25 pm 
If I'm hiking to Snow Lake, I do that same thing, but I drink the water while in the shower (save's time), eat the cereal while in the car (crumbs fall on floor and blend with pine needles and cones so only vacuum once a year, or shake out carpet at long stoplight), and eat banana on trail [I can throw banana peel into devils club patch to provide nutrients for a few months). Ciao!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 3:37 pm 
Obviously this is a joke wink.gif because many of us are getting tired of these endless queries! shakehead.gif mad.gif The only subject not brought up yet is what side of the bed do you exit from in the morning. Well, on hiking mornings it's the left side-okay? Grrrrrrrrrrr...

jenjen
Moderatrix

jenjen
Moderatrix
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 4:19 pm 
1 lb of lard, washed down with 1 gallon of cowboy coffee. Wakes ya up &keeps ya goin fer awhile. Sides, I think them coffee grounds in yer teeth is dern attractive!

If life gives you melons - you might be dyslexic
polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 6:05 pm 
I think this thread should be moved to the "Seeking Hiking Partners" section. That said, I usually don't do anything different the day of the hike than I do any other day. As far as what side of the bed I get up on it is always the right side. On hike days, the right side is often the same as the wrong side, so then I get up on the other side so I'm not jinxed. As far as there being devil's club on the Snow Lake trail, I think it is a questionable statement? Where is the evidence? If someone bushwacks into Snow Lake and encounters devil's club, and perhaps takes a picture of it, maybe I'll believe. Until then, no. OTOH, there may be sasquatches in the area.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSat Aug 09, 2003 6:59 pm 
I prefer the store-bought sandwich, usually from Quick F**k Charlie's. Sometimes I will lower myself to a McDougal's breakfast sandwich or two. I must consume "mass quantities" to stave off unwanted weight loss. If I get below 250 lbs, I feel like I'm wasting away. lol.gif

Pollster

Pollster
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 12:29 am 
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Obviously this is a joke
Actually I was serious. That's what I ate today before my trip and I was curious what others eat. But if y'all would rather discuss politics and guns instead of HIKING (this IS a hiking site you bunch of DUFUSes!) then I'll just go hiking and let y'all stare at your computers. Hey nice day out there today! Man, the weather report was not great, but it turned out fabulous. Views to forever, including the fires up on Lime Ridge (which is too close to Fire Mt and Fire Cr Pass). Anyone else actually go hiking today?

polarbear-

polarbear-
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 8:24 am 
pollster, I did not go hiking, but for breakfast I had a bowl of raisin bran, and some juice that tasted strange, and drank some water. This morning it is raining where I am and there are no fires that I can see.

MooseAndSquirrel

MooseAndSquirrel
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 9:07 am 
Pollster wrote:
MooseAndSquirrel wrote:
Obviously this is a joke
Actually I was serious. That's what I ate today before my trip and I was curious what others eat. But if y'all would rather discuss politics and guns instead of HIKING (this IS a hiking site you bunch of DUFUSes!) then I'll just go hiking and let y'all stare at your computers.
Actually I wasn't. Anytime you want to discuss hiking instead of Shredded Wheat is fine by me. Maybe if this was posted in a hiking thread rather than Support & Testing, that would be better. smile.gif

Pollster

Pollster
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 12:20 pm 
Oops, meant to put this in "Saloon" (moved by admin). Darn the luck. Another incredible opportunity for interesting dialogue wasted by one slip of the mouse. Up to the Tomster if he wants to move it. No fires here either. Had eggs for breakfast. Quark just stole my pears from the tree, we both got wet trying to pick 'em in the rain. Went up Huckleberry, then watched Halle Berry, for a Huckle-Halle Berry day double extravaganza extraordinaire. But enough idle chit-chat for a rainy Sunday!

mgd

mgd
PostSun Aug 10, 2003 1:04 pm 
If you have the right attitude, the whole world is a saloon, so in that sense, (and perhaps no other), the thread is right where it belongs.

Dante

Dante
PostMon Aug 11, 2003 1:07 pm 
I eat some carbos, toast, cereal, whatever and hit a gas station for a large electrolyte replacement beverage to drink on the way to the trailhead. I've only deviated from this plan once in recent memory (because Tom forgot his boots) and that's the only time I ever got cramps on a hike. (I'm also out of shape and didn't bring enough water for the climb...but it's still Tom's fault wink.gif ).

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor

Steve
Phlogiston Purveyor
PostMon Aug 11, 2003 2:37 pm 
Two aspirin and plenty of water. I'm good until lunch time.

Despair is only for those who see the end beyond all doubt.
Stefan

Stefan
PostMon Aug 11, 2003 2:44 pm 
I eat a bowl of cereal, or a bagel with some stuff on it. OJ or maybe some apple juice. I find that forcibly drinking a quart just before I get moving actually helps me out in the first few hours. I haven't noticed a difference in food intake in my body if I take it before I go.

Art is an adventure.
christy_E

christy_E
PostMon Aug 11, 2003 6:43 pm 
I am one of those people who have absolutely No routine in their life... Including meals. I never eat breakfast. Not even before hiking or while backpacking. Coffee does just fine til around noonish. After that.. at home and on the trail I am one of those grazer types. Constantly munching something. Bite of this.. little of that.. pop a few raisins... some baby carrots. Munch Munch Munch. Good thing I don't carry a water bottle in my side pocket.. makes for easy snack access.

Ink, it costs a lot to look this cheap.