Forum Index > Trip Reports > Boulder River 12-15-07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 8:48 pm 
Today I visited Boulder River for the first time. For the most part, it was all that I expected it to be: a pleasant, easy, forest walk that was beautiful. Nice water works at about the 1 mile point.
TH
TH
winter
winter
Boulder River Trail
Boulder River Trail
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls sepia
Falls sepia
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Falls
Also, one stretch of the trail has a lot of logs laying across it (at least 12), but they are anchored at the top of the rock ledge, so the trail goes right underneath them. Pretty cool. With all the recent precipitation, one of these downed logs had turned into almost a curtain of water that you have to walk through to proceed. Probably not an issue when it's not so rainy.
More of 12
More of 12
A few of at least 12
A few of at least 12
Somewhere along the way I must have confused myself with some other river trail because on my approach I was expected a closed road and walking around some washout before getting to the trail. Going to have to look for whatever trip report that was to figure out what caused my confusion. Maybe it was the Sauk river. Regardless, whatever it was it wasn't the Boulder River trail. The weather was forecasted as 'sprinkles' or 'showers', but at Boulder River it was all out Rain. So, the camera stayed in the pack most of the time, except at the water falls. Had hoped to locate a geocache, but didn't want it bad enough to crawl around in the muck in search of it. Plus, I left the details of its location at home. No cars at the trailhead, no one encountered on the trail. Just as I was reviewing my photos in the car afterwards did another vehicle with two hikers arrived. Chatted briefly with them and then headed toward civilization. Road was managable in a passenger car, but there are a few moderate potholes to avoid. Will definitely come back another time when the weather is better and will probably bring the kids with me. They'd enjoy this trail a lot. Stopped for a unique coffee at a new place in Mount Vernon (I'll add the name later when I remember what it is). They brew you your own individual cup of coffee. It was quite tasty, but required some patience as they went through the process. Very interesting, but also a bit pricey. Thanks to all of you for your advice. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:04 pm 
Sorry PIB. Other than the long-lasting downers in the photo, trail was obstacle free, at least as far as I travelled (which really wasn't all that far). On a different topic, it could have been the Suiattle approach that I was expecting.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:08 pm 
Did you get to the campsites at the end of the trail ? Are ther still lots of sucker holes to twist an ankle in in the last mile ? By yourself huh. Been there done that. Awful lonely up the very end there, you can feel the Sasquatch stares burning into the back of your head in that area, no roads or paths up that valley beyond trails end. Same with the far north side of Myrtle lake across the way by Higgins, Squatch central. paranoid.gif

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:44 pm 
Cap'n J - No, I didn't proceed to the end. Wet... and lonely - so true! I did explore the fire pit and point that exists before the waterfalls and went a ways beyond the falls. While looking at the area on Google Earth last night I found numerou BFRO* reports which gave me the heebie jeebies, but I didn't have that feeling while on the trail (thank God!). Today was likely my shortest hiking day, ever. waah.gif At least now I can start my '2007 Favorites' posting. *BFRO is the Bigfoot Field Research Organization.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 9:45 pm 
Nice pics Elbis. Good going. up.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 10:59 pm 
Elvis wrote:
The weather was forecasted as 'sprinkles' or 'showers', but at Boulder River it was all out Rain.
embarassedlaugh.gif Yup, that's Boulder River! lol.gif One of my favorite parts of that trail are the huge trees not far beyond the falls. God, what a beautiful place.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Dec 15, 2007 11:11 pm 
Last time I did Boulder River I took my bro and his boys. Here's the pre-trip call. Bro: 'The boys don't want to hike if it's raining.' Me: 'Ha, ha, ha, ha...Well, I can't guarantee that.' So it snowed and thundered on the way in.

ree

ree
PostSun Dec 16, 2007 11:22 am 
I saw some downed trees that looked like recent fall when I was there a week ago. I recall them being a bit far back tho.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 8:12 am 
I'm glad you got out, Elvis, even if it was a short and easy day. Cheer up, the days will be getting longer soon, and we always have a stretch or two of glorious weather in February to look forward to. cool.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 9:57 am 
Elv, those 12 trees at the biginning are new. There have always been a few big ones that created that waterfall thingy (which is cool when it freezes - they're like giant prison bars). The others are new, and not likely to be ever cut out, unless they're a hazard. But yeah those at the end of the trail were left over from last year - I guess a trailcrew never got back there.

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
dicentra
Plant Geek

dicentra
Plant Geek
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 12:09 pm 
Such a pretty place! Thanks for posting the TR. up.gif

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 12:24 pm 
I love this trail. Very nice hike in all times of year.

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostMon Dec 17, 2007 7:38 pm 
Rain, thunder, Sasquatch and still everyone who goes enthuses. Must be some sekret in there. Makes me a little paranoid.gif, but it's on my list for sure now.