Forum Index > Trip Reports > Lower Gold Creek Snowshoe Adventure 12-10-05
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostMon Dec 12, 2005 2:44 pm 
I've attached a few photos to this post, but here is a link to everyone's favorite site which has a few additional pics if you're interested. webshots Trip planning started with my posting in an attempt to find a buddy for the day. It worked out quite well... numerous serious inquires provided a perfect partner for the day and other contacts for future trips. Thank you to all who contacted me. The final game plan was to snowshoe the Mt. Margaret trail, as described in the Dan Wilson book 'Snowshoe routes in Washington' (or similar title). Unfortunately, when we arrived at the trailhead (maybe 9:15am?) it looked as though the first 1.5 miles along the lake were going to be shared with snowmobiles. That thought didn't sit particularly well with either of us. We quickly opted to back track a ways and check out the Gold Creek area. We packed up, put on showshoes, headed out up the road and shortly came to a gated road to the right and a track off to the left. Unsure which way we were supposed to go, we proceeded to the left and eventually came across the Gold Creek Pond picnic area and the obvious trail. Had we taken the gated road we would have missed the whole lake (pond) segment - which I found to be the most enjoyable portion of the trip. After taking numerous photos of the pond and the surrounding hills, we proceeded along the right side of the pond and ended up on the aforementioned road and followed the now-well-signed portion of the Gold Creek Trail. There were a lot of other snowshoers on the trail - many with dogs... and all seemed to be well behaved. I laughed when I saw a few of them wearing 'dog booties'... not a bad idea I guess but I still chuckle about it. We came across a group of adults and early-teens heading out for an overnight in the snow (hope they had fun) and gave assistance to one of their chaperones who had taken a tumble in the snow with a huge pack. My good deed for the day I suppose. The excitement of the day came while we were taking a break and were befriended by some 'robber jays' who were very interested in handouts. Brave birds. After about 3.5 miles we came to a flat area right along side the creek which was the almost-perfect spot for a lunch break. After cautiously stepping onto a log and trying to half-jump/half-big step across some water to a snowbank I lost my balance and did a face plant into soft powder. Struggling around I managed to get back on my feet without taking a spill into the moving water (very shallow, but certainly also very cold).
We enjoyed the sunshine for a bit and then attempted to proceed along the trail... but found that after about 50 yards the trail became increasingly difficult to follow. Since it was 1:00 we decided it was a good time to start the return trip. Due to various factors the return trip went a lot faster - it flew by. When we returned to the pond, we opted to finish the loop around the pond which provided some additional photo opps and even a park bench to sit in the sunshine and enjoy the scenic view (plus some unavoidable highway noise). One of the reader boards along the pond loop gave an interesting story about how the area used to be a gravel pit. I never would have guessed.
All in all, this was a very memorable trip. Estimated 7 miles round trip, and spotty eTrex Legend GPS coverage in the trees (as expected). Spectacular weather, beautiful scenery and a new friend with similar interests. The non-technical trail had limited elevation changes and low-avalanche risk terrain (for the most part). I'm going to have to come see this place in the summer sometime. Thanks bf... it was great to meet you and I'd be pleased to buddy up for future adventures! Next Adventure will be sometime in early/mid January (if anyone is interested...). ~Elvis

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Barefoot

Barefoot
PostThu Dec 15, 2005 8:43 am 
Elvis... such a nice guy for not putting in the report how many times he had to pull me out of the snow after doing something stupid. hmmm.gif The weather was perfect and the scenery more beautiful than photos can do justice to.

Spotly

Spotly
PostThu Dec 20, 2007 10:34 pm 
Wow. That first shot is very nice.

peltoms

peltoms
PostFri Dec 21, 2007 5:41 am 
First shot makes me want to go skating. barefoot you must regale us with at least one mistake that left you in need of assistance. biggrin.gif

North Cascade Glacier Climate Project: http://www.nichols.edu/departments/glacier/
dog25

dog25
PostThu Dec 27, 2007 6:31 pm 
Very nice pics. I liked the shot of the hoarfrost - probably the same layer that's made for such dicey avalanche conditions lately. paranoid.gif

Qui me amat, amat et canem meum
Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Dec 27, 2007 7:53 pm 
Elvis wrote:
That's some serious hoar frost!

Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostThu Dec 27, 2007 8:16 pm 
Elvis wrote:
We packed up, put on showshoes, headed out up the road and shortly came to a gated road to the right and a track off to the left. Unsure which way we were supposed to go, we proceeded to the left and eventually came across the Gold Creek Pond picnic area and the obvious trail. Had we taken the gated road we would have missed the whole lake (pond) segment - which I found to be the most enjoyable portion of the trip. ~Elvis
If you would have taken the right you would head up to a nice clear cut with views of the mountains... and you might have been able to find my SPOT satellite reciever.... so if anyone goes up there.. that is where I lost it. On the trail that breaks to the RIGHT~~~~ eek.gif eek.gif Jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!