Forum Index > Trail Talk > Brush - Where is it really bad?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Jan 28, 2002 8:41 pm 
smile.gif as Beckey says "There is no easy route" The drainage south of Luna is called Access creek and is better than Luna but still brushy then a steep scree slope to "Luna Pass between Luna and Fury. You also can go from Beaver Pass cross country to challenger arm and down to Lousy Lake and up. We did the traverse from Easy Peak and it involved rock climbing and glaciers with heavy packs.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 3:34 pm 
Me thinks me was right on Azure brush by what has been said.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
mtnrider

mtnrider
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 5:03 pm 
While Liberty Mtn. isn't as glamerous as the Picketts it's brush is ever bit as dense. Noisy Creek up from Baker Lake to Bacon Peak and the west route up Mt Blum are all fond (?) memories.

lopper
off-route

lopper
off-route
PostTue Jan 29, 2002 6:53 pm 
It's good to see Liberty Mtn mentioned. Heinous brush in the SW basin. The over-your-head vine maple and slide alder are spiced up with random 3' diameter deadfalls on steep slopes. Slithering underneath the logs or clamboring over the tops of 'em. Equally slow. But the ridge and views and goats made for an OK payoff. It was the spring of 1978 that we were up there.....far enough back that I'm almost ready to go again.

mvs

mvs
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 4:59 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Here are my votes, not in any particular order... Thunder Creek drainage on the White River, Camp Robber Creek, Middle Fork Cascade River, South Fork Cascade River, Lewis Creek (Gunn Peak)
MtnGoat, can you tell me more about your Lewis Creek (Gunn Peak) brush bash? I'd like to climb that peak, but the trailless approach from the Mt. Baring road did me in. I ended up in a tremendous thicket. Finally when a branch poked my contact lens out I was done. Lewis Creek is a nice line. Also, I wondered about getting up onto the ridge with the fire lookout, and following that all the way. Thanks! --Michael

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 5:25 pm 
I won't ever approach via Lewis creek again, maybe it was only our route but it was way, way worse than our second try, which strangely enough was from Barclay creek! We bailed on the Lewis creek bit, just too much stickers and slide alder and everything. The route up from Barclay wasn't bad at all, there was some brush but it wasn't too nasty. There is a faint footpath up the hill from one of the logging spurs on that side of the valley. You need to aim for the drainage coming down directly S of Gunn's summit. The drainage is the one shown here with the "4200" marker near the middle of the image. The path follows the left side of the creek and jogs west about 1/8 mile directly underneath the small bluff with the flat area on top shown as being between 3600 and 3400. We basically just started following spur roads until we ran out of road, then continued N until we hit the path under that bluff, then followed it on up into the basin. http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.a....=10&W=1

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Stefan

Stefan
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 6:03 pm 
Hugh? There is a climbers path up to Gunn almost before you get to the end of the of the Barclay Lake road. You have to go cross country across Barclay Creek (the path is not identifiable here) to find it. The path is not identifiable until you get across and into the woods...... Why go cross country when you can take a trail!

Art is an adventure.
mvs

mvs
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 6:41 pm 
Thanks for the info! I know about the Barclay Creek approach but am not very excited about it. I just had to hear a little more about Lewis Creek, just in case there is something I didn't already guess. I hoped MtnGoat might come back with something like: "Lewis Ck. was the way we did it in the old days. In fact, though the trail is gone, it makes an excellent springtime ascent route. My buddy did that in '82 as a day trip." But he's not making those kind of noises. Time to get my leather gloves and eye protection and bash across Barclay Creek. Jeff Smoot wrote a web report about it here. Thanks! --Michael

Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostFri Mar 08, 2002 6:44 pm 
Stefan, I have been up Gunn twice from Barclay Creek and never really found the climbers path until getting to the left of the waterfall. If anyone is interested in climbing Gunn there is some thrashing through mainly salmonberry bushes. Leather gloves and clear glass eyeprotection would help. The misery is over in about 45 minutes though. It is a peak which you can enjoy over and over as it is visable everytime you go up US2.