Forum Index > Food & Grub > Wild foods
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Mar 09, 2003 10:35 pm 
Chicken of the Woods are good when added to mushroom soup with ham...cooked it several times. Also used then on steak. They are however rather spongy.
Mike E. wrote:
The comments about your friend Hans and his survival seminar has really piqued my interest. Does he have any more of these planned ? If he'll be doing any more of these this summer I'd appreciate it if you could drop me a note or post it to this list. On a side note, I also have made a number of walking sticks. My favorite being hazel nut followed by apricot, apple and pear woods. The country around here, (Wenatchee), is full of these so getting decent stock is VERY easy.
Not sure if Hans has anymore scheduled, but if he does I'll let the net know, like Dave W. does on Hi-Laker meetings. Cool on carving your own sticks, I find it rather soothing to sit outside on a nice evening creating a hiking/walking stick. Nut tree shoots or limbs are espcially sturdy yet flexable similar to Pacific Yew (used by Salish Indians for bows). I've never tried fruit, but I know apple was used a lot. Most all of mine are made from hazel nut, in fact I have a 30 foot tree in the backyard I planted when it was only 18 inches, but rarely do I cut a shoot from that, unless I see a dandy one and the tree need a little thinning. After the bark is peeled, I dry it naturally,then carve a scene, sand, stain portions of it, and finally waxed sray it with a funiture sealer for bare wood. And after many now hand made (mostly given to friends or donated to a function, I have become quite proud of them, been told they are a thing of beauty by several Hi-Lakers and Trail Blazers. I know Backpacker Joe saw a few once,eh Joe? At any rate, they are fun to make and it's always fun to seek out edible foods in the wods. on hiking/walking sticks: http://www.alpinequest.com/onhiking.htm McPil

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike E.

Mike E.
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 3:35 pm 
Mcpil, I checked out the photo on your web site of your walking stick. Seemed sort of strange. I could swear that I could see right thru the guy standing next to the pack. biggrin.gif I think that you should put more pics of your sticks on here...sculptural mountain art sort of thing. BTW that lag time stuff happens to me ALL the time and it seems to be caused by my computer running background processes, like when I'm listening to music over the net. Dave, Those pics of the Hericium and Chicken of the Woods are right on the money. Nothing else like them.

Mc Pilchuck

Mc Pilchuck
PostMon Mar 10, 2003 6:08 pm 
Roger on that Mike E. I have not yet photos of the carving work up, but intend to though I pretty much stick to the same design...sun coming up over mountains & peaks. PS. invisibility has its rewards <grin>.

Odonata

Odonata
PostMon Aug 18, 2003 9:56 pm 
Can someone help me ID these guys. Are they Chicken o' the Woods? This is the first time I can remember seeing them. They were soft and spongy. Oh boy there were alot of em too. I might of tried some if I would of known I was gonna barf in few more miles... These were near the S. Cascade river. Thanks ~Dave

MCaver
Founder

MCaver
Founder
PostMon Aug 18, 2003 11:14 pm 
I'm no expert, but I believe they are indeed chicken of the woods. Very cool. up.gif