Forum Index > Trip Reports > Eagles, Bunnies, & Moss (Stilly, Skagit & Rockport) 1/5/08
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 12:15 am 
Daniel and I drove around to look at eagles along the Stillaguamish & Skagit, and look at moss and ferns at Rockport State Park. We were surprised to see 14 eagles along the Stilly between Arlington & Darrington. Most were by the river, but some just outside Darrington were perched in a tree and flying over fields on the other side of the road. I don’t have a zoom lens to take quality photos, but I enjoyed watching them and taking some photos anyway.
Scary-beaked eagle above Stilly just east of Arlington
Scary-beaked eagle above Stilly just east of Arlington
Eagle flying over Stilly at turnout between Arlington & Darrington
Eagle flying over Stilly at turnout between Arlington & Darrington
Different eagle perched at same location
Different eagle perched at same location
Eagle in a tree just west of Darrington
Eagle in a tree just west of Darrington
Adult & juvenile eagles at same location
Adult & juvenile eagles at same location
In Rockport, we stopped at the Skagit Interpretive Center, which is now located near the river at the Howard Miller Steelhead Park. If you haven’t ever been there, it’s interesting to learn about how the eagles nest higher in the mountains at night and hunt by the river during the day, and also to learn how much they migrate around, moving anywhere from BC to farther south in Washington, and from the coast to east of the mountains. The eagle count is declining from its December peak as it usually does. Between Rockport & Darrington we saw another 14 eagles, but most of them were too distant for my camera. However, the area does boast the largest concentration of giant zoom lenses that I’ve seen in quite a while.
Three eagles by the bend in the Skagit between Rockport & Marblemount
Three eagles by the bend in the Skagit between Rockport & Marblemount
Not an eagle along the Skagit
Not an eagle along the Skagit
Two eagles in the trees
Two eagles in the trees
In Marblemount, we stopped at Clark’s Cabins to feed the bunnies and have lunch.
Feeding the bunnies
Feeding the bunnies
Jumping bunny
Jumping bunny
Standing bunnies
Standing bunnies
Daniel
Daniel
Hand-sewn 42-star flag from Washington statehood year in Clark’s Eatery
Hand-sewn 42-star flag from Washington statehood year in Clark’s Eatery
Then we visited Rockport State Park and hiked two short loops. First we hiked the Fern Creek Trail, which had lots of Quarkian greenery.
Log walking
Log walking
Green & fuzzy
Green & fuzzy
Wavy limbs
Wavy limbs
Primeval
Primeval
Low overhead
Low overhead
Blue-Tongued Teenage Creature
Blue-Tongued Teenage Creature
Mossy limb
Mossy limb
Then we hiked the Sauk Springs trail, which had the biggest trees in the park, plus partial views out over the river valley.
Big Fir
Big Fir
Log Balancing
Log Balancing
Ferny Trunk
Ferny Trunk
Big Cedar
Big Cedar
Tree Hugging
Tree Hugging
In the parking lot, we found Hiker Mama’s truck, but missed seeing her in person.
Meeting of the nwhikers’ vehicles
Meeting of the nwhikers’ vehicles

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Type E

Type E
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 12:18 am 
I get more enjoyment out of watching Eagles. I am very lucky to have a nesting pair on my lake that I can watch each and every day. In the Spring watching Osprey hunt is even more impressive. I am glad you took the time to enjoy the sights.

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 12:24 am 
Matt, your green fuzzies pic is the exact location of my "monkey tails" pic!! That particular scene is a whole eyeful of snaking green branches. It's the most amazing display of mossy tails I've ever seen, so it's easy to recognize. I also remember that irritating red snag that was in the way of my composition embarassedlaugh.gif So how do you get to the Sauk Springs trail? It's on the S side of the highway, isn't it? I didn't see a pullout, but it was getting dark when I left the park and didn't look too closely.... I love the bunnies at Clarks'. Didja eat there? Ms. Tootsie makes the best crust for the chicken pot pie. It's the best! She puts a cookie-cutter heart on top of each one, too! wub.gif I always see more eagles between Arlington and Darrington than I do on the Skagit. I guess 'cause I don't often go to the Skagit to see them. hmmm.gif

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 12:49 am 
I was trying to think of a caption that would describe the shape of the branches. "Tails" works best. "Tentacles" or "snakes" seemed a bit threatening. Either way, they're fuzzy, both because of the moss and because of the shaky photo in the low light.
I like eating at Clark's because it's a family business that has such a long history in the area. The flag was hand-swen by some ancestor in the Buller-Clark family. There is no separate parking for the southern two trails, and the sign isn't visible from the road. If you walk west from the ranger station, the trails begin just before a guard rail that is on the south side. Once you step down off the road, there is a trailhead sign and diagram. Or, if you go on the trail that runs south of the campground, there is an unmarked branch leading south to the road, with the Sauk trails on the opposite side. From the southern trails, there's quite a drop-off and overgrown view down to the river, but I forgot to take a picture. The log Daniel's standing on actually projects out over the drop. He was making me nervous, because the bark under his feet looked loose.

Layback
Cascades Expatriate

Layback
Cascades Expatriate
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 1:31 am 
Great pics Matt! I'm no expert, but I think this is a Herring (sp?):

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl

Karen˛
A Real Canadian Girl
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 8:22 am 
Layback wrote:
I'm no expert, but I think this is a Herring (sp?):
Great Blue Heron, a herring is a fish. Looks like an enjoyable outing Matt!

I leave only footprints...and lens caps. http://weekendswithmarmots.zenfolio.com
Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 9:48 am 
I was hoping you'd post a report, Matt. I almost went on the second trail you went on, perhaps I would have seen you after all. Even without a huge camera lens, you still got some great pictures of eagles! I need to plan a trip up to Clark's to see those famous bunnies.

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 10:54 am 
Quote:
I love the bunnies at Clarks'. Didja eat there?
Not the bunnies! My grand kids would never forgive you. hockeygrin.gif

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore

Quark
Niece of Alvy Moore
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 12:54 pm 
Layback wrote:
I'm no expert, but I think this is a Herring (sp?):
Hmmmm....sounds like a secret code from a situation of intrigue*. *"can you eat herring" from Hitchcock's The 39 Steps

"...Other than that, the post was more or less accurate." Bernardo, NW Hikers' Bureau Chief of Reporting
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostThu Jan 10, 2008 10:21 pm 
Herons and other wintering birds
This was my Holiday visitor...backyard, daytime and complete with the strange noise they make. I enjoy this fellow since he frequents the trees for the night. The pups sometimes disturb him and off he goes, loudly protesting in the darkness.
Imperfect photo that does display the heron's crest feathers.  Christmas Day, 2007
Imperfect photo that does display the heron's crest feathers. Christmas Day, 2007
Oh, soooo fuzzy a photo, but there is some grey daylight to bring out muted colors.
Oh, soooo fuzzy a photo, but there is some grey daylight to bring out muted colors.
Again, a fuzzy shot, imperfect though revealing the breast feathering. 12.25.07  Backyard tree.  This bird often roosts at night on this tree and leaves vast evidence of the visits upon the fir's needle covered ground.
Again, a fuzzy shot, imperfect though revealing the breast feathering. 12.25.07 Backyard tree. This bird often roosts at night on this tree and leaves vast evidence of the visits upon the fir's needle covered ground.
On second thought, I am posting one of those eagle shots. We are so lucky hereabouts to see them in our daily lives, whether hovering over downtown Mercer Island or Ballinger Village Shopping Center, or nearly flying into my rental's big windows (one time was enough...the mature Bald eagle lifted and went over the roof just in the nick of time...wish I saw that coming...what a shot it would have been!).
Paired eagles watching over those of us watching them!  Of course, they are keeping an eye on Lake Washington waters below.  Any salmon could be a "sitting duck".
Paired eagles watching over those of us watching them! Of course, they are keeping an eye on Lake Washington waters below. Any salmon could be a "sitting duck".

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 12:42 am 
SB, Thanks for the pics of the birds near your home. That's cool that you get to have them near enough to watch their daily habits.
BeyondLost wrote:
Quote:
Not now, but apparently the bunnies originated as part of the menu. Scattered around the restaurant are a bunch of old articles about the history of the area. Somewhere is a story about the bunnies. I haven't read it recently, but it goes something like this. Once upon a time, there was too large a population of bunnies on Whidbey. Some people from the Clark or Buller family went out and captured some bunnies by riding on the bumper of an old car and using a net. The bunnies originally were for making rabbit stew and such. Later a bear tore open their hutch. They escaped and have bred naturally around the cabins ever since.

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 1:04 am 
Love the variety of pictures you have offered. Thanks up.gif

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostFri Jan 11, 2008 6:58 am 
Matt wrote:
SB, Thanks for the pics of the birds near your home. That's cool that you get to have them near enough to watch their daily habits.
BeyondLost wrote:
Quote:
Not now, but apparently the bunnies originated as part of the menu. Scattered around the restaurant are a bunch of old articles about the history of the area. Somewhere is a story about the bunnies. I haven't read it recently, but it goes something like this. Once upon a time, there was too large a population of bunnies on Whidbey. Some people from the Clark or Buller family went out and captured some bunnies by riding on the bumper of an old car and using a net. The bunnies originally were for making rabbit stew and such. Later a bear tore open their hutch. They escaped and have bred naturally around the cabins ever since.
My post was tongue in cheek and a joke, BUT rabbit is rather tasty. lol.gif My first 4H project as a kid was raising New Zeeland white rabbits and, of course, they did end up on the dinner table. Growing up on a farm one learns early on not to get too attached emotionally to what you raise. shakehead.gif