Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > What are you reading?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
touron

touron
PostSat Jan 12, 2008 6:17 pm 
No, in fact, quite the opposite, though I have never had caviar. As far as I can tell, the only impulse associated with Grape Nuts is hurl.gif As a child, I would stay over at a friends house some times. They didn't have a big variety of breakfast cereals. One day I decided to try Grape Nuts. They looked so delicious. I poured a huge bowl of them. I poured the milk. I took a few bites, and knew I was in trouble. They tasted terrible. How could I ever even half-way finish this bowl of trouble?

Touron is a nougat of Arabic origin made with almonds and honey or sugar, without which it would just not be Christmas in Spain.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger

Bryan K
Shameless Peakbagger
PostSat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 pm 
I'm reading a memoir about a meth addict. "Tweaked : a crystal meth memoir" / Patrick Moore.

Phil

Phil
PostSat Jan 12, 2008 8:44 pm 
Flower Sniffer wrote:
[color=darkgreen][b]The Sea Runners by Ivan Doig.
up.gif Awesome, like most of his stuff. Winter brothers is another one of his, nonfiction, that conjures the pacific NW coast.

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers

Flower Sniffer
Sniffer of flowers
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 9:43 am 
Yes! I loved Winter Brothers. It's fun learning about local history. Now every time I sit on the beach up at Neah Bay, all I can think of is heads on stakes! winksmile.gif

If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
WTM

WTM
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 am 
'Lost in a Good Book' - Jasper Fforde ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jasper_Fforde ) .... one of the 'Thursday Next' series. Sort of a comedy/literary/alternate history where characters from famous novels slip into the 'real world' and literary enforcer Thursday Next tries to catch them and return them to their proper places. Hilarious! and 'Free Lunch' by David Cay Johnston (http://www.amazon.com/Free-Lunch-Wealthiest-Themselves-Government/dp/1591841917) Politics/economics ... good way to get the blood boiling on a cold wet winter day.

dawgpack
woof!

dawgpack
woof!
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 11:07 am 
"Against the Law" - Ching Kwan Lee It's a book for a graduate class I'm taking at UW. The book is basically all about labor protests in China. She makes a distinction between the type of protest that occurs in the south (Guangdong) where there are mostly younger workers in export-oriented factories, and in the northeast (Liaoyang) where there are mostly older, laid-off employees who worked for some of China's now-defunct state owned enterprises. AND "LSAT for Dummies" ! I'm too lazy to go find out by whom that is written.

mike

mike
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 1:53 pm 
My wife got me a nice first edition of "Hole in the Sky" by William Kittredge for christmas. Goes well with our recent explorations in SE OR

Bigfoot Jim

Bigfoot Jim
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 4:34 pm 
Three Cups of Tea Greg Mortenson

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger

Grizzy
Yellow Cedar Hugger
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 5:17 pm 
jamesf wrote:
A fantastic book! if you haven't read it yet..... agree.gif

All the birds have flown up and gone; A lonely cloud floats leisurely by. We never tire of looking at each other - Only the mountain and I. ~Li Po~
bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 5:38 pm 
three cups of tea is on my list-can't wait to finish my current book to get on with it!

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
Jason Hummel

Jason Hummel
PostSun Jan 13, 2008 5:55 pm 
I'm reading a few books, always am I guess. Although I've been working on studying for an exam for work, so not reading as much as i would like to be. Hunters of Dune. Actually better than I thought it would be. Measure of a Mountain. Pretty good book about a guy who is obsessed with all things Rainier. Elements of Style. A book on writing, of which I am always beginning or ending. National Geographic Photographers. A book of photography with short bits about the photographers and the photos they took.

Gray
Lazy Hiker

Gray
Lazy Hiker
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 4:04 pm 
BeyondLost wrote:
Einstein: His Life and Universe by Walter Isaacson He explains special relativity such that I can finally understand it. At least immediately after reading it. lol.gif
If you enjoyed that, I suggest you check out some of John Gribbin's "In Search of..." series. He does a very good job of taking very, very complicated ideas and theorys and making them understandable. My favorites of his so far have been In Search of Schrödinger's Cat, where he examines quantum physics, In Search of the Big Bang, where he looks at cosmology (and, of course, some more quantum physics), and In Search of the Double Helix, about genetics, and the discovery of DNA and it's role in inheritance. I'm currently about half-way through his Deep Simplicity: Bringing Order to Chaos and Complexity, though I got distracted, and it seems to have become my "read on the plane" book. Currently, I'm re-reading Tom Clancy's Patriot Games, alongside a re-read of Wrox Press' Beginning Visual C++ 5. Just finished Neal Stephenson's Snow Crash. I started with his The Big U, and couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about him. Snow Crash made it more clear, good book. My favorite recent read was China Mievelle's Perdido Street Station, one of the best and most beautifully realized fictional worlds in a long, long time. I need to pick up some more from him. --Gray

Frank

Frank
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 5:12 pm 

Dane
Other

Dane
Other
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 5:22 pm 
EMT and Linear Algebra texts frown.gif If it were up to me I'd be digging into another HP Lovecraft book

Without judgement what would we do? We would be forced to look at ourselves... -Death
goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostMon Jan 14, 2008 7:00 pm 
I am making myself finish "Men, Mountains and Mules...Lieutenant O'Neil's Olympic Expeditions." I started it a few years ago and got really bored right from the start. It's kind of wordy and convulted....made me feel like I was an overloaded mule trying to climb Olympus just to read it. I told myself I would pick it up again after I'd hiked the NF Skok...and maybe it would be more interesting. NOT!!! But I am almost done (on the last chapter.) Thank Goodness.

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel