Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > where to put a web page - any helpful insights?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 11:52 am 
Do any of you seasoned individuals have any advice as to what are the best servers (is that the word I'm looking for?) to post your website on? This would be a business website. Needs to be best value. Probably not going to be selling anything outright on it, but might when I get things more figured out. I've heard people suggest pair.com. confused.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
-lol-

-lol-
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 12:52 pm 

catwoman

catwoman
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 2:05 pm 
Thanks, but I'm hoping to get direct insights from folks here. I also don't understant the ftp thing. I've heard I need to buy cuteftp or something. Don't I already have capability to transfer my files over to a server without it?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostMon Feb 25, 2002 5:09 pm 
WHT (webhostingtalk) is an AWESOME forum. That's where I found my current web host. I got 500MB of storage and 5GB of monthly bandwidth for $25 measly bucks a year! So far the hosting has been pretty darn fast too. I've seen other great deals at WHT like 500MB of storage and 20GB of monthly bandwidth for $10/month. Of course, you need to do your homework. I'm sure there are a few scammers on that forum, but for the most part you're dealing with good folks. Catwoman, to answer your question, no, you don't necessarily need to have an FTP program. Most hosts will give you some sort of "web based" control panel that will let you do all your file management from a web browser. However, FTP does make it a lot easier when dealing with large numbers of files. Even if your host doesn't give you a web based control panel, there are web based FTP interfaces that essentially let you do the same thing like http://web2ftp.com If you're looking for FTP "freeware", smartftp is a good one to consider.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostThu Feb 28, 2002 11:14 pm 
Not that I want to compare web servers, but I would recommend you spend sometime doing research first. Go with a server that you can register a domain name with at the time you wish to pick a server, usually they will provide that for a basic fee like $40.00. for a year or more for two years. Choose a web server that has secure systems, mine has Secure Socket Layer Server Systems, as it may help from virius and other freakish bugs. Usually, the server also has tech support 24/7 for you needs, if they don't, don't go with them. As far as the server themselves go, it depends on what you really want, personally Iam willing to pay more if I can get more...I have 200 MB Disk space, 5000 MB Data Transfer, email service, Logs systems that tell me even what hosts are hitting my site or how many hits per hour, day, month, etc., and where they are coming from...corporations, non profit, military,countries, ect. In the process you can set up a free fax process as well. Transferring files is simple once you understand creating html, go to the library for understanding of it, or better yet, sit down with someone who has a web site and watch how it works. Having said all that, I pay $20.00 per month which is quite standard, but the service is almost unlimited (5000 MB Data Trans) so the site can be pretty huge. Lastly, another avenue you might wish to think about, is letting someone create a web page (you provide text, photos, etc.) and attach it to someone's site, providing they will let you, as an html page. Hope this helps?

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostWed Mar 06, 2002 9:02 pm 
McPilchuck would you care to give a shamless plug in regards to your web server? For comparason purposes you know. Maybe who? How do you like? Down time? Support? Thanks, NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.
scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSat Mar 09, 2002 10:48 pm 
I think I got the value package of the year! 50mb of web space, 1000mb transfers, 10 FTP accounts, 10 pop 3 accounts (emails, plus aliases), detailed traffic usage reports, .php, .asp, and sql server. All this, for $3.49/month! Then for my big account, I have 500mb of space, 4000mb data transfer, 100 email accts, 100 ftp accounts, plus SSI, CGI, SSL, and PERL. All this for $14.95/month. Kick ass huh?

catwoman

catwoman
PostSat Mar 09, 2002 11:10 pm 
Thanks for sharing WHERE you got the deals, scot't!

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist

scot'teryx
Armchair Alpinist
PostSat Mar 09, 2002 11:55 pm 
I was waiting for someone to ask me! It is a canada based operation, and although I am not sure how reliable they are, for the price they are great, and if this was for a big bizness, i would not advise it - but it is fine for personal pages. HostingShot.com make sure to send them an email and tell him i sent ya if you decide to use them

C Dog

C Dog
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 8:21 pm 
I'm also using HostingShot for my personal site (on scot'teryx's recommendation) and have been pleased with the service so far. I had signed up for the $3.49/mo plan (LiteShot) before March, and when they changed the details of that plan they upgraded my account for free -- 50MB space turned into 100MB, 1000MB data transfer became 2000, etc. biggrin.gif The original LiteShot plan is now referred to as "BasicShot", I believe.

// Chris Duval // WashingtonHikes.com //
Newt
Short Timer

Newt
Short Timer
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 5:29 am 
Looks pretty decent for the $. Thanks sharing the info. NN smile.gif

It's pretty safe to say that if we take all of man kinds accumulated knowledge, we still don't know everything. So, I hope you understand why I don't believe you know everything. But then again, maybe you do.