Forum Index > Trail Talk > Picture of the Day (Archive 3)
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot

Matt
Tea, Earl Grey, Hot
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 10:38 am 
Now that's an unusual combination, backlit both from the sun and from the sun's reflection in the water.

“As beacons mountains burned at evening.” J.R.R. Tolkien
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 11:14 am 
If the bush starts talking, in the voice of a confused old man looking for some dude named Abraham, RUN!!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 11:44 am 
meganerd wrote:
If the bush starts talking, in the voice of a confused old man looking for some dude named Abraham, RUN!!
Tsk tsk tsk. No no no. hockeygrin.gif moon.gif doh.gif lol.gif winksmile.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 4:47 pm 
Sunday afternoon at Wallace Falls St. Pk.
JimK...I am embarrassed to say I was sooo late. Yes...the "little" big dog is Sabah, to be 7 y. o. on Jan. 31st; Big big dog is Aksam...he'll be 7.5 on same date. Can't believe they are already so old! Have a medium size, Lab mix...she was at home. Were you the ranger? Hmmm...I think he was going up as we descended. Any walk beyond Meadowdale Park is desired...better yet, beyond St. Edwards St. Pk. and Lord Hill Regional County Park. I feel I have used up my patience with them. Meadowdale is (indefinitely) closed. Did you go to the falls or up Greg Ball Tr? I have not been to Wallace Lake since 1980's. Did loop one Easter afternoon, falls to upper RR grade to lake and back on that doughty, old trail through the toothpick, second growth forest. Then on to Easter dinner gathering at Lake Stevens. Now, it is a struggle to do 4 miles. I hate this aging biz. I spotted the amazing moon with alpen glow through the trees (returned same route as I went up). Only at the power tower clearing was I able to find a position to "shoot". Sad to miss the alpen glow in photo.

l

l
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 7:10 pm 
Bare Trees and Dead Wood
1b
1b
2b
2b
3b
3b
4b
4b
5b
5b
6b
6b
7b
7b
8b
8b
9b
9b
10b
10b

tinman

tinman
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 7:49 pm 
Nice pics Jim. Looks like it was a nice day at Rialto. Sure is amazing to see how all the big logs have been tossed around and cleaned up this year.

Wherever you go, there you are.......
l

l
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 8:58 pm 
Thanks Tinman. Yes, it was a priceless day at the ocean. I couldn't imagine yesterday's atmosphere being any clearer. And I agree about the drift logs. They've always littered the first 1/2 mile of beach north from the trailhead. But with all the powerful storms the past few years, so many trees have been swept into the ocean (many a beautiful red color) they blanket the shore for more than a mile. At Ellen Creek, countless logs have been shoved far enough inland that the creek now flows under them. The sign delineating legal camping - which once stood far from surf and driftwood - now stands precariously above the mess.
1-21-08 550 61
1-21-08 550 61

naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostTue Jan 22, 2008 10:23 pm 
Big Deer Peak,  as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Big Deer Peak, as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Little & Big Deer Peaks,  as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Little & Big Deer Peaks, as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Whitehorse Mtn. as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Three Fingers, as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Three Fingers, as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.
Whitehorse Mtn.  as seen from Stimson Hill,1.22.08.

Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 8:05 pm 
Photo of Day, 1.22.08
Naturalbeing, forgive me, but where is Stimson Hill? The vantage point is remarkable and would make a nice hike? Access via road to trail or old logging roads? Distance? Elevation gain? I love the photos! The view of Three Fingers really is amazing. I did not know about that 4th tower (must be the 3rd summit, though) at the left in the photo.

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat

goats gone wild
Mr. Goat
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 8:13 pm 
Shacknasty, Great pictures of the beach/sun glow! up.gif up.gif

.....leaving me wanting to return over and over in what ever capacity that may be, even if one day my knees are too old and I can only see the mountains from my porch. Jason Hummel
naturealbeing

naturealbeing
PostWed Jan 23, 2008 8:45 pm 
Sabahshoy, N on Hwy. 9, a few miles past Arlington you come to a four way intersection at Bryant, Bryant General Store is on the NW corner, Take a R here onto Grandview continue until you see Cedarvale on your L, take it (NOTE: on the map below Cedarvale is not marked, but is at the 5 way intersection just before Rock Creek), in about a mile or two you'll come to a R hook in the road and will pass over a drainage, immediately to your L you'll see a yellow gate. This is the access road. I parked on the R side of the road. Snow free until 1,450 ft. and at the summit it was 10-12 inches. Someone snowshoed up to 2,500, before they turned around, I continued on and hit all of the high points, all around 2,900 ft. I left my snowshoes in the car and really didn't need them, I stayed on top of the snow most of the time and when I did sink in it was only 6'' deep at most. 6-7 miles RT w/2,600 ft. of gain, 1.852 ft. of prominence.
Here's a view of the Olympics, taken from the logging road at 1,900 ft.

Nisquaww
Hot balls

Nisquaww
Hot balls
PostThu Jan 24, 2008 8:19 pm 
first attempt at a hi-line done yesterday.

"Why do you have a beard?" "I don't have a beard. It's just the light; it plays funny tricks." ~ Shel Silverstein
El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm 
NotSurIQualfyAsWkendWaryr wrote:
first attempt at a hi-line done yesterday.
I'm digging it. up.gif I will be climbing some trees for some data collection with Nalini Nadkarni come May using Jumars and single rope technique for ICAN.

Hesman

Hesman
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 6:55 pm 
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 4
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 4
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 3
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 3
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 2
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 2
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 1
Sun Reflecting on Cloud 1

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum

El Dooder
Green Earth Bum
PostFri Jan 25, 2008 7:44 pm 
tree climbin
tree climbin
This was arboreal soil collection along the Quinnault River.