Forum Index > Trail Talk > transportation
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
risler34

risler34
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 4:59 pm 
A problem that we are having right now is finding a way from Seattle to where we would like to backpack. We are flying out there, but we don't want to rent a vehicle, use it twice (there and back), and pay for an entire week. Any suggestions or ideas?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 5:37 pm 
Actually, car rentals are pretty cheap on a weekly basis, so leaving the car at the trailhead for a week real isn't too pricey, especially if you can split the bill. I've done this alot when backpacking in the Sierras. There are a few places you can reach by bus. A good bus backpacking trip is to go from Stevens Pass to Leavenworth via the Icicle Ridge tr. Stevens Pass to North Bend in another possibility (leaving the PCT at Waptus River and following the Mid Fork trail out). An ambitious trip would be Stevens Pass to Holden, from which you can return using the boat on lake chelan, county buses to Wenatchee, then NW Trailways or Amtrak back to Seattle. A possible extended bus backpacking trip to the Olympics would go from Bogachiel River(4 mile road walk in) toHigh Divide, Appleton Pass, Aurora Ridge, Barnes Creek, ending at Lake Crescent.

bobbi
stillaGUAMish

bobbi
stillaGUAMish
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 6:03 pm 
pm member vtrunner. they're planning to hike the wonderland trail at the end of july. maybe you can share a car rental.

bobbi ૐ "Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting. So…get on your way!" - Oh, the Places You’ll Go! By Dr. Seuss
whitebark

whitebark
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 6:29 pm 
For the wonderland trail, your only transit option is the gray line tour: http://www.graylineseattle.com/sightseeingtours.cfm

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 8:19 pm 
Just looked at the GrayLine site; they specifically state that they will not transport hikers. Evidently this would detract from the tour "experience."

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
risler34

risler34
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 9:00 pm 
lol awesome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome

Magellan
Brutally Handsome
PostSat Jan 26, 2008 11:59 pm 
Heck no! If I paid $59 for the MRNP tour, I'd better not have to sit next to some smelly, dirty, mangy, stinky, hairy, wonderland-trail-bum on my way back to civilization! rolleyes.gif

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 12:25 am 
risler34 wrote:
A problem that we are having right now is finding a way from Seattle to where we would like to backpack. We are flying out there, but we don't want to rent a vehicle, use it twice (there and back), and pay for an entire week. Any suggestions or ideas?
When are you coming, and for how long? I have a lot of time off in the summer, maybe I can help?

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Mega-Will
country bumpkin

Mega-Will
country bumpkin
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 12:48 am 
Yeah, in general, I think the people on this site would be happy to drive around in the mountains with some fellow outdoors lovers for very little compensation (i.e. gas + burger king...). If you can get yourself to Bellingham (bus or train from Seattle), then I'd be happy to shuttle you out somewhere on the Baker Highway if I'm able. Those were some good ideas for bus hikes though. I never even thought of the possibility of doing Stevens Pass to Leavenworth or Holden. Those would both be pretty darn good hikes.

Gil

Gil
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 12:52 am 
If you let people on the site know where and when you want to go, you might be able to find even more volunteers!

Friends help the miles go easier. Klahini
risler34

risler34
PostSun Jan 27, 2008 9:09 pm 
That's the thing. We're not quite sure where we want to go, but we've given ourselves plenty of time to work it out until August.

mc6wood

mc6wood
PostMon Mar 17, 2008 7:54 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
When are you coming, and for how long? I have a lot of time off in the summer, maybe I can help?
My friend & I are hiking the Wonderland this summer - sometime towards the end of July. For gas $ & a burger, would you consider helping us to/from trailhead at Longmire or Mowich Lake?

wamtngal

wamtngal
PostTue Mar 18, 2008 8:17 am 
You guys send in your reservation request? Or are you going to try and wing it with a day-of permit?

Opinions expressed here are my own.