Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Jury Duty Rant
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 2:36 pm 
REQUEST DENIED! curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif Any suggestions as to who I bill for my loss of income? I have requested a postponement but I'm not feeling lucky.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Conrad
Meadow bagger

Conrad
Meadow bagger
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 3:09 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
Any suggestions as to who I bill for my loss of income?
Sure! Bill your students. I'm sure, as your "employers", they'll be happy to pay for you to be at jury duty during their lessons.* *To be read in a tone of sarcastic sympathy or, perhaps, sympathetic sarcasm, from a former fellow private-lesson teacher.

Mtn Dog
Technohiker

Mtn Dog
Technohiker
PostThu Jan 11, 2007 10:57 pm 
It's not a perfect solution but could you at least reschedule some of them to other times of day? It may take more time from you but at least you won't be losing the income. If you're off early you could also be home by the afternoon and still keep some appts. if you both knew you were there to still meet. My daughter's guitar teacher is the same way. If we miss we still pay for the time slot. But if she wants a vacation its one less week we pay for so she's out the money. She finally took a holiday on a monday once last year. It probably cost her several hundred dollars.

Footprints on the sands of time will never be made sitting down.
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostTue Feb 05, 2008 3:51 pm 
So I did my civic duty this last month and I'm still waiting for my $20.00 plus mileage. Anyone know how long it's supposed to take to get paid? It's been 4 weeks. I couldn't find anything out on the website.

“If you want to forget all your other troubles, wear too tight shoes.” - Unknown
LizzyBob

LizzyBob
PostTue Feb 05, 2008 5:32 pm 
OK, PollyAnna here. I served on a felony theft trial three years ago, and thought it was great (not so great for the woman we voted to convict). Learned a ton! Got called again in December but my number never got called. Darnit! I was sooo psyched frown.gif

"Diamonds are a girl's best friend my arse. A girl's best friend is a stout pair of tramping boots. Umm, maybe it's a nice reduction sauce. Urrr, perhaps it's a nice pub just down the road. OK, so it's really all three. But freakin' diamonds?!"
More Cowbell
Warrior Princess

More Cowbell
Warrior Princess
PostWed Feb 06, 2008 4:04 pm 
Check just came. That was some lucrative mileage! For 2 days of driving to Kent, I made $60.59 in mileage plus the whopping $20.00 for my services. What should I buy for $80.59?

RyanS

RyanS
PostWed Feb 06, 2008 4:07 pm 
A phone call and some gas smile.gif

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm 
At least you got mileage all they gave me was a 1 way bus pass huh.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Feb 06, 2008 4:10 pm 
More Cowbell wrote:
REQUEST DENIED! curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif curse.gif Any suggestions as to who I bill for my loss of income? I have requested a postponement but I'm not feeling lucky.
Be sure to mention during selection that if the cops have arrested them, that's good enough for you, because innocent people don't get arrested in the first place. tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
RyanS

RyanS
PostWed Feb 06, 2008 4:21 pm 
Sarcasm nearly eluded me on that one, MtnGoat... I was going to say that I was almost arrested for being in the right place at the wrong time. Good thing my mouth and the Police Officer's ear were working properly that day.

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer

Dayhike Mike
Bad MFKer
PostThu Feb 07, 2008 12:54 am 
He's not being sarcastic, though. There are any number of things that you can say to ensure that you're dismissed and won't have to serve. Things like that (assumption of guilt) are just one of many. smile.gif

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke "Ignorance is natural. Stupidity takes commitment." -Solomon Short
BeyondLost
Crazy Bob

BeyondLost
Crazy Bob
PostThu Feb 07, 2008 8:02 am 
I obediently appeared for jury duty for 30+ years (federal, state, county and even municipal) getting a notice about once a year from one or the other. No, doctors are not deferred from jury duty. And should not be. After a half day or so I would get called on a panel but immediately after finding out I was a physician I would be struck, virtually always by the defendant side. About 3 years ago they ran out of strikes and I ended up on a jury in a criminal drug dealer case. It was a most interesting experience. Texas has a three strike law and this was to be the third conviction so life in prison. I was jury foreman. There was an immediate racial division in the jury room and vote. This could very easily have become a hung jury without a lot of calm discussion and patience. We did eventually come to a unanimous verdict. I am a firm believer in the jury system. It isn't perfect but better then the alternatives. up.gif

Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Feb 09, 2008 4:27 pm 
I totally missed this thread... must be working too much! I served on a jury last fall for 2 & 1/2 weeks. I wanted to serve but was really only looking for one or two days... two weeks was more than I really wanted, but it was very, very interesting and I'm really glad I had the opportunity to do it. Certainly it caused some disruptions to my family and work life, but my employer is still in business and I'm still married. Two interesting things I learned, simply via the jury selection process, is that: 1) While my life is certainly interesting, it's nothing compared to a lot of others in my community 2) There are a LOT of people who have concealed weapon permits. paranoid.gif eek.gif Many more than I ever would have guessed.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Badger

Badger
PostFri Feb 20, 2009 9:26 am 
Jury duty- Completed. clown.gif I do like how they do it in Kitsap - it is much more friendly and less costly for those chosen to be put in the 'pool'. You call in and if you are choosen you show up otherwise head on into work. I think they would get more positive responses from the general public if they try to lessen the impact, especially now in these tough economic times. Either way, my job is done.

snowman_312
old man of the mount

snowman_312
old man of the mount
PostFri Feb 20, 2009 9:31 am 
I was asked if I believe in capital punishment, I said you bet I was asked if I might be bias in this case, I said yes I was asked if I know either of the parties, I said yes I was asked if I ever did business with either of the parties yes I was asked if I had read about this case in the news or heard it on TV,, of course I said yes (&*(&_& and they still picked me ps( they reached a settlement about an hour before the trail started)