Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 6:10 am 
Quark wrote:
I grind beans before I leave, and at camp I hotten the water, add the joe to the water, let it seep a bit, then pour it though a screen into my cup.
Hey Quark. Is that a Texas phrase? Hotten? I first heard it a month ago at a bluegrass thing. It was used, "It's going to hotten up now." I don't really like coffee for the taste. So, I just take some cheapo instant and mix it with hot chocolate. Mmmmmm, chocolate.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
HurlGurl
Wildernested

HurlGurl
Wildernested
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 9:27 am 
CAFFEINE!
seawallrunner wrote:
Found it on Amazon, no less.
Hmmm, that "Java Juice Liquid Coffee Extract" sounds like cold brewed coffee concentrate (?)

At the end of Theodore Roosevelt's presidency in 1909, his fiery eldest daughter, Alice, buried a voodoo doll of new First Lady Nellie Taft in the White House lawn.
Criminal

Criminal
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 11:38 am 
HurlGurl wrote:
seawallrunner wrote:
Found it on Amazon, no less.
Hmmm, that "Java Juice Liquid Coffee Extract" sounds like cold brewed coffee concentrate (?)
I tired that stuff, it was hideous.

Because I am mad about women, I am mad about the hills Said that wild old wicked man, who travels where God wills. - Yeats topohiker.com
Coasty
I like Salmon!

Coasty
I like Salmon!
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 11:57 am 
I actually like Java Juice. I think it is the best alternative to actually brewing coffee. jason

http://www.BackpackGearTest.org The Most Comprehensive Interactive Gear Reviews and Tests on the Planet!
SK

SK
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 12:20 pm 
We own the GSI java press, its works great considering its made of plastic, good for car camping or boat camping. The thermal sleeve keeps it pretty hot even on cold windy mornings. For extended travel, there are smaller options, but coffee found in the US or Canada isnt really worth the effort anyway. Thats where tea comes in.

Don't capitalize for emphasis, ok? Capitalization!
Kat
Turtle Hiker

Kat
Turtle Hiker
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 1:34 pm 
From a tip I got on this board a few years ago: I've been using the large cotton tea bags (washable/reusable) and filling them with my favorite fresh-ground coffee. As a matter of fact, going to make up 4 today for next week's trip. This works because it's just for me, and I usually only drink 1, sometimes 2 cups in the morning. I also carry my favorite tea bags.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:36 pm 
MadCapLaughs: don't listen to any of the advice you have gotten so far. No offense, but they have been telling you how to get by without getting what you really want. You have stated your preference: fresh, hot espresso. I enjoy fresh, hot espresso whenever I go backpacking, because I have one of these wonderful contraptions. I wouldn't go without it! It weighs 7 ozs, but that is not bad when you factor in that it uses coffee very efficiently, so that on a trip of say a week, the weight savings in coffee over using a filter cone to brew coffee actually makes this the lightest way to have fresh coffee every day. As a matter of fact, both my GF Tanja and I use the thing every day at home, using my backpacking stove. I got mine at a garage sale for a dollar, not the $19 REI charges, but when mine wears out, I'm plunking down the bucks for a new one. People may laugh at you for bringing an espresso maker into the wilderness, but you won't care as you sip your heavenly brew, deep in the nirvana that only espresso drinkers and opium addicts enjoy (so I'm told, anyway, about the opium addicts biggrin.gif ). biggrin.gif

-lol-

-lol-
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:40 pm 

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:44 pm 
Here's another thought: what to do with the used grounds? If you pack it out, that could get pretty heavy after a couple days, considering the grounds will be retaining water now. Or am I wrong? Like I said, I make a mean espresso, but I don't know the first thing about coffee. I'm thinking I might be better off sticking to weak, bland tea. irked.gif

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:45 pm 
2drx wrote:
I've tried a few methods over the years, and I keep coming back to one of those Melitta Cones like this: http://www.melitta.com/itemdy00.asp?T1=64+0008&Cat= Nothing else worked or tasted as good.
That looks simple. And cheap.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:48 pm 
MCL, yes, 2DRX's idea is a good one, that's what I used to do. But brewed coffee is not the same as espresso, plus you have far more coffee grounds to carry out, as well as paper waste from the filters. The espresso maker uses no paper filters, and about 1/4 the amount of coffee, therefore produces far less waste.

MadCapLaughs

MadCapLaughs
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:50 pm 
Slugman wrote:
MadCapLaughs: don't listen to any of the advice you have gotten so far. No offense, but they have been telling you how to get by without getting what you really want. You have stated your preference: fresh, hot espresso. I enjoy fresh, hot espresso whenever I go backpacking, because I have one of these wonderful contraptions. I wouldn't go without it! It weighs 7 ozs, but that is not bad when you factor in that it uses coffee very efficiently, so that on a trip of say a week, the weight savings in coffee over using a filter cone to brew coffee actually makes this the lightest way to have fresh coffee every day. As a matter of fact, both my GF Tanja and I use the thing every day at home, using my backpacking stove. I got mine at a garage sale for a dollar, not the $19 REI charges, but when mine wears out, I'm plunking down the bucks for a new one. People may laugh at you for bringing an espresso maker into the wilderness, but you won't care as you sip your heavenly brew, deep in the nirvana that only espresso drinkers and opium addicts enjoy (so I'm told, anyway, about the opium addicts biggrin.gif ). biggrin.gif
Hmmm . . . now that's interesting. So, it makes one shot at a time? I guess that's not bad if it does it in thirty seconds, like it claims. And if the espresso is good, I'll gladly carry seven additional ounces. Damn. I've got to do some experimenting at home, methinks.

sarbar
Living The Dream

sarbar
Living The Dream
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:51 pm 
I use a GSI H2JO! device for my coffee and tea now smile.gif think of it as a metal filter but very light and portable. As for packing out grounds? Let them sit and dry out if you can before dumping in your garbage bag. Works pretty well that way....and the grounds help control the pee-yew smell of your bag as well....

https://trailcooking.com/ Eat well on the trail.
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 3:53 pm 
It makes about 2.5 ozs of espresso, and takes about 1.5 to 2 minutes, depending on how much flame your stove has going. The espresso is first-quality, as good as you can get anywhere, and the thing is easy to use and easy to clean. You could make less than 2.5 ozs if you wanted to, by simply putting less water in. PS: another advantage to this system is the minuscule amount of stove fuel it uses. I make my espresso using my gas cannister stove on very low setting for about two minutes. Boiling water for drip coffee requires many times the amount of fuel used, both in the form of a higher flame, and in a longer heating time.

captain jack
Serving suggestion

captain jack
Serving suggestion
PostSun Feb 10, 2008 6:42 pm 
My stove boils a liter in 3 minutes and since I really dont use it for cooking, it would last longer than I would ever need with one canister of fuel. I always carry a second fuel container j.i.c. I do not pack out grounds. Used grounds are non acidic and quite good for the soil , so I scatter them. Filters are dried and hauled out. Worms like them, so why not help them out with a fix now and then. I do not camp on snow, but if I did I would bag out the grounds too.