Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Skykomish Wilderness (proposed)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Jonathan

Jonathan
PostSun Dec 23, 2001 3:17 pm 
Borank This is the site I found as well and the map is interesting, I am just wondering how accurate it is to the current proposal. It covers much more area than I thought they were looking at, and a patchwork quilt as far as I can see. I would like to know who is driving this thing and what they are trying to accomplish. I'm not for or againt just yet but my first impression is that they have bitten off a little much.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Dec 23, 2001 4:06 pm 
The Forest Service has been closing roads or putting them to bed for years now, primarily because of logging shutdowns. The wilderness areas don't encompass too many roads, therefore I would suspect any beef you may have is or has been with the FS, but who knows, perhaps the propsed area might do the same as what the FS has been doing.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostSun Dec 23, 2001 4:15 pm 
For further reading, I found this written by the Herald: see www.heraldnet.com/Stories/01/7/3/1395948... (one may have to do an internet search to get it though)

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
polarbear

polarbear
PostSun Dec 23, 2001 7:08 pm 
I emailed Senator Murray and asked if the information is on line. senator_murray@murray.senate.gov It will be interesting to see what kind of answer comes back.

timberghost

timberghost
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 6:43 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Closing spurs that are *not* single spurs surrounded by wilderness area is precisely what I oppose. It's spur roads that provide much access and opportunity regardless of the main roads that serve them.
exactly we already have enough of the untrammeled wilderness areas being redefined. Leave well enough alone

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:45 am 
timberghost wrote:
Leave well enough alone
"Congress designated the Wild Sky Wilderness in 2008 and it now totals 106,577 acres in the Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest."

Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
timberghost

timberghost
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 6:34 am 
Whats your point? They also stated that it would stimulate the local economy, didn't happen. Also stated new trails to be built, hasn't happened as funding was not appropriated. So designating more wilderness in this area will only hamper future damages to fix roads, etc.

Sculpin

Sculpin
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 8:33 am 
timberghost wrote:
Whats your point?
dizzy.gif The thread was from 2001, and was about a proposed wilderness in the Skykomish drainage. The wilderness was created in 2008. Then in 2020, you wrote: "we already have enough of the untrammeled wilderness areas being redefined. Leave well enough alone" What area is being "redefined?" What "well enough" do you want to leave alone? I'll tell you my point if you tell me yours!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 am 
timberghost wrote:
Whats your point? They also stated that it would stimulate the local economy, didn't happen. Also stated new trails to be built, hasn't happened as funding was not appropriated.
I can't discuss the impact of the wilderness on economy due to lack of information on the subject (where's your information from?) It seems to me that restaurants and gas stations along Hwy 2 are doing about the same as they have for decades, pre-wilderness to current times - some are doing well, some aren't, and some in-between. I don't know for sure though (no data), or how wilderness fits in there. Re new trails: Bike trails at Beckler Peak were built as a result of Wild Sky - to get that user group on board with wilderness - and a trail to Frog Mountain outside of wilderness is in the process of being built. From what I recall in the public meetings about it, a lot of stakeholders and the public did NOT want a glut of new trails within the wilderness boundary, in order to preserve the challenge of exploration and for the opportunity for solitude - so trails outside of wilderness were promised. Ongoing work to get a new trail to Scorpion Mtn has not stopped as a result of wilderness, nor has it stopped the revamping of the Iron Goat trail so people can better visit Wellington.
timberghost wrote:
So designating more wilderness in this area will only hamper future damages to fix roads, etc.
This is an old thread. Wild Sky was created in 2008. It is now 2020 and there's no proposal to add to it. The Trailhead to Beckler Peak was built to honor Jennifer Dunn, because of Wild Sky, and the road to Evergreen Mtn Lookout was repaired since Wild Sky was designated.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:13 pm 
All tg can do is spout pro-logging diatribes, regardless of how ridiculous they are under the circumstances. Let him/her show the wilderness expansion being proposed that he/she claims to oppose or admit the post is nonsense. The jerking motion of a knee does not reflect the operation of a mind.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:42 pm 
Well, I don't find timberghost to be a terrible poster at all. There's not one subject anywhere on this forum where at least half the people posting on it are right, the other half wrong, the third half being in-between, the 4th half being full of sh##, and the 5th half arguing for no damn reason at all. Wait. The fruitcake thread is one where everyone but Quark is wrong. (I bet that Quark is a gorgeous broad, by the way). It's really wierd, too, that the two most active threads this week are old threads where nothing is actually happening, but we're debating about it anyway.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Sculpin

Sculpin
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 9:13 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
The fruitcake thread
Someone left the cake out in the rain. doof.gif

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 9:41 pm 
Well, for the record my fruitcake turned out pretty good, and I wasn’t the only one who liked it. Makes a difference what you put in it!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostMon Jan 27, 2020 4:42 am 
I will agree with Timberghost. Living in the area the wild sky hasn't done anything to stimulate the economy if anything it has hurt it with the decrease in USFS personnel and logging opportunities and those activities sassociated with it. The new trail talk has been outside its boundaries I.e Beckler peak(was already a trail prior be it not as well used). When meetings were held about new trails discussing and voted on the horseman association were dominant getting their proposal #1. It was made known that the cost of trail building was astronomical and very few would be built due to lack of funding. It seems that funds would have been appropiated for trail building and maintenance with the wilderness creation. But what is done is done.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jan 27, 2020 9:50 am 
Sky Hiker wrote:
Beckler peak(was already a trail prior be it not as well used).
It was an unofficial trail. An official trail system plan was ,hatched in the 1980s, but not funded until the 2000's. That’s why I specified the trail head in my post;not the trail. The actual trail was completed a few years before the trail head was built. The promise was to name something after Jennifer Dunn and her work advocating for Wild Sky, and the trail head was chosen, funding secured (that took awhile). The reason it was mentioned, as was trail work on trails already in existence when Wild Sky was enacted, was to argue that trail work and road work has not stopped as a result of it, not that those trails were built because of it. Funds are never a sure thing with wilderness. It's not how the process works. Trails within Wild Sky weren't promised, but trails outside wilderness were. Where are you two getting your information that wilderness caused an economic breakdown in the local communities? It would be good information to know.