Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostSat Feb 16, 2008 11:57 pm 
Trailhead
Trailhead
Deer Creek
Deer Creek
Enjoyed the pleasant conditions today out on the Deer Creek Road with my buddy, 8Buck.
Getting Prepped
Getting Prepped
Our destination was Kelcema Lake, but we spent too much time taking breaks and talking about why we aren't in better shape. We made it to just past the 3 mile mark before turning around. It just so happens that today the 3 mile mark also was the location of a collapsed (or maybe just unfinished) igloo... a completed snowcave and a completed igloo. Very cool stuff.
Former Igloo or supersize honey bucket?
Former Igloo or supersize honey bucket?
Snow Cave 2
Snow Cave 2
Rabbit View
Rabbit View
Snow Cave Emergency Exit
Snow Cave Emergency Exit
Igloo 2
Igloo 2
Weather was mostly cloudy with some sun breaks and just a touch of light rain on the return trip. Mountain view were hit and miss. Photos were mostly miss. down.gif
Moody View
Moody View
More Mountain Views
More Mountain Views
Dusted Trees
Dusted Trees
Trail View
Trail View
Trees, snow, sky, clouds
Trees, snow, sky, clouds
Long Mountain
Long Mountain
Long Mountain 1
Long Mountain 1
Numerous people on the trail today, as expected.
Trail Leapfroggers
Trail Leapfroggers
We stopped and had a little lunch. clown.gif
All Out for Lunch!
All Out for Lunch!
Low avalanche risk along the road, but depending on what you're doing and where you're playing you still need to stay smart and be safe.
Missed this avy
Missed this avy
We heard many avalanches coming off Long Mountain and even witnessed a couple from across the valley. It's amazing how much power those things unleash. I used my new winter pack for the first time today (Opsrey Switch 36) and it gets up.gif up.gif . No complaints about it at all. Pleased with my selection. My Atlas 1225's did better on this trip (their second trip) than they did last month. Mostly because this time I properly positioned my feet in the bindings. doh.gif Round trip to igloos and back was about 6.1 miles and 1,120 feet of elevation gain. Here are a couple pics of the MLH from today:
Silverton 2-16-08
Silverton 2-16-08
Mountain Loop conditions 02-16-08
Mountain Loop conditions 02-16-08
In March I might go check out conditions around Diablo and Ross Lakes, if Hwy 20 ever gets cleared east of Newhalem. If you have beta about that area, please PM me. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message