Forum Index > Trail Talk > Whats in your high-lake tackle box?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtStHelensFisher

MtStHelensFisher
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 6:18 pm 
cool.gif I just found this site and I'm very impressed with all the great info! I was just wondering what are some of your go to lures and flies for all you high-lake fishers? Personally I have all the lures and flies I use to catch trout in almost any condition in one small 8"x5" tackle container. For lures I have a couple 1/6oz Thomas Buoyant Spoons. A few Krocodile spoons, good for windy days. For spinners I have some Rooster Tails and Vibrex spinners. And for the big boys I always have a few small rapala's. For flies I have various colors and sizes of egg sucking leeches, nymphs, and stimulators. Any one else care to share? I'm always looking for new ideas.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 8:29 pm 
The secret killer lure is Jake's Spin-A-Lure, known locally as a Wyoming Whoopee since they were only available in the Rocky Mtn states. Every so often you can find them locally these days. They don't look like much and they have virtually no action, but when they do move they dart erratically in a way that draws strikes. For fishing deep I carry some Krocs (brass with a red stripe my favorite). For fishing shallower I prefer a Kamlooper Jr or Daredevil. For trolling from a boat I use Flatfish. I generally have a Bouyant or 2 in the box, too. My favorite dry fly is the elk hair caddis. It is easy to tie, floats well, and fish hit it hard. I carry a selection of wet flies and nymphs but I have no particular favorite.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 10:38 pm 
Quote:
The secret killer lure is Jake's Spin-A-Lure, known locally as a Wyoming Whoopee since they were only available in the Rocky Mtn states.
Brian, you just let the cat out of the bag!!!

Oldtimer

Oldtimer
PostSun Mar 10, 2002 11:55 pm 
Quote:
Quote:
The secret killer lure is Jake's Spin-A-Lure, known locally as a Wyoming Whoopee since they were only available in the Rocky Mtn states.
Brian, you just let the cat out of the bag!!!
SCREEEEEEEEEEECH!!

Dslayer

Dslayer
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 9:12 am 
Gold Kastmasters-a retrieve that works can be worked out for just about any variety of fish anywhere. A jigging type of erratic retrieve gets lots of strikes. Sometimes the silver is good...but gold is generally better.

"The Second Amendment of the Bill of Rights is my concealed weapon permit."-Ted Nugent
salish

salish
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 10:10 am 
Brian, We've chatted in emails about this in the past. I know some folks have had mediocre experiences with these, but I've always had exceptionally good luck with 1/8oz, 1/12oz, and 1/4oz Kastmasters, in the blue/chrome or turqoise/chrome colors, in high lakes. Like DSlayer I've had good luck with the gold colored ones, too. It's actually my favorite lure. Humdingers have worked well, too, when trolling from my tube. Just about any Mepps spinner works well for me, and I'm going to be giving their "Spin Fly" a try this season. I, too, like Daredevils while trolling. For flies I like the Elk Hair Caddis or Adams for dries. The Elk Hair Caddis seems to hold up better. I also use a Yellow Humpy with good luck. For wets, I think plain old Hares Ears and Pheasant tail nymphs work fine, and I like Zug Bugs, too. I also carry a few chironomids. One thing I've never without on high lakes are my terrestrials. I like black and red ant patterns, and I have a few small beetles. I'm looking through Yahoo's yellow pages for tackle shops in Colorado so I can find some Jake's Spin-a-Lures...... Cliff

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 11:18 am 
Cliff, no need to check the Colorado yellow pages. You need only to check the Seattle Yellow pages, for there is one outfit in town that currently stocks Jakes spin-a-lures. There is also one high volume mail order outfitter that has just added them to their spring 2002 catalog and website. If I tell you who these retailers are then the lures will become unlucky and you will not catch any fish with them. Tracking down Jakes spin-a-lures is what makes them so lucky! P.S. Here is a hint for the local retailer... " smile.gif "

salish

salish
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 11:43 am 
I'm as befuddled as I was the day I was born, Benjamin, but that's good! I agree with you wholeheartedly on the Karma thing - do not tell me or anyone else where these are! But is that strictly a smiley face or a sun?

My short-term memory is not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my short-term memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Benjamin

Benjamin
PostMon Mar 11, 2002 12:28 pm 
smile.gif is a giant yellow smiley face commonly seen on TV!!!

5 wood

5 wood
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 12:47 pm 
Worms in a giant red Coffee can.

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger

McPilchuck
Wild Bagger
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 2:42 pm 
Why Pikas of course. They make great bait! Just kidding.

in the granite high-wild alpine land . . . www.alpinequest.com
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 2:47 pm 
Bead head nymphs, chironomids, small wooly buggers, adams, caddis, joes hoppers, parachute bugs. If I'm hunting trout and I can't get 'em to bite with bead heads or other wet flies, or dry flies, I give it up. Started leaving the spinning gear at home years ago and haven't missed it.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 3:02 pm 
I prefer to catch fish on fly gear, but I've been out too many times where conditions made it impossible to fly fish. I've got a pic on my wall of me with a beautiful fish out of a lake where the guys I was with with only fly gear couldn't even get their gear in the water because of high winds. Other times I find that I can cover more water quickly with spinning gear so if I have limited time I will use it. I just throw a spinning reel on my fly rod. I don't carry a spinning rod.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
salish

salish
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 7:02 pm 
Me too - use both fly and spinning gear, that is, for high lakes. I started fly fishing around 1968 or so and I love it. Fly fishing is one of my passions, and I got into it bigtime and my tackle of choice is split cane fly rods, by classic makers as well as new builders. I even got into silk flylines, which is pretty offbeat. But still I enjoy other types of fishing. I was fishing the basin lakes this past weekend near Mar-Don and I even went so far as to put a worm on a hook and prop my rod up on a forked stick stuck into the bank and kicked back, waiting for that rod tip to jerk to and fro. It did, and I reeled in a nice fat 14 incher. It was just as much fun as I remember as a kid. In my humble opinion, while I prefer light bamboo rods and dry flies, fishing is just too much fun to limit it just to fly fishing.

Benjamin

Benjamin
PostTue Mar 12, 2002 10:31 pm 
I also prefer to bring both fly gear and spinning gear to satisfy all conditions. As Brian pointed out fly fishing can be next to impossible in windy conditions. However, when there is a specific hatch on, from my experience spinning gear becomes almost useless too. BTW Salish, if you haven't found the local supplier for Jakes spin-a-lures then maybe you should "ROLL BACK" through this thread and look at the big yellow smiley face once more. Just another hint!