Forum Index > Trip Reports > Sampling the North Lk Whatcom Trail - 2/26/07
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 1:07 am 
Arrived at the office Tuesday morning and was surprised to find the power was out due to a misdirected automobile incident. Since it wasn't expected to be back on for at least 3 hours I took the opportunity to visit the Lake Whatcom Trail. This trail begins at a Whatcom County Park and follows the east side of Lake Whatcom, along an old railroad route, IIRC. I originally heard about this trail from a book by Ken Wilcox: Hiking Whatcom County. <<Edit: Website here, part of the North Lake Whatcom Park, this trail is also known as the Hertz Trail.>> This was my second visit out here, but the first visit was right about a year ago, on a lunch break. My sources told me there was a pleasant waterfall a ways down the trail, so that was my objective. It turns out the waterfall is about a mile from the TH. There is an easy to "follow" side trail to get you closer to the bottom of the falls, but it's a real 'veggie belay' to climb up the steep hill to the top. Might be considered a cliff, but not quite, IMO. The falls are split into a couple tiers, but what I found very interesting was the minor trickle off to the left. This seems to be coming out from the rock face... possibly a tunnel carved through the rock. It's source was overgrown and I wasn't dressed in a manner that would let me get up close and personal with it.
Falls 1
Falls 1
Falls 2
Falls 2
Water From Stone
Water From Stone
Additionally, I enjoyed the green ferns reaching outward on the cliff above me, the tree growing down the cliff and into a crack in the rock plates and a naturally carved rock in the midst of the falls that seems to take different shapes the longer you look at it.
Ferns Above Reaching for Light
Ferns Above Reaching for Light
Tree in Rock
Tree in Rock
Falls 3 with Rock face:  Cougar, Seal or Labrador?
Falls 3 with Rock face: Cougar, Seal or Labrador?
My other sources tell me there are some other enjoyable places to enjoy in the area, but I'll have to save those for another day. Trail is very flat, very wide, very stable. Encountered a few other walkers, joggers, dogs and took a lot of pictures.
Trailside view
Trailside view
Looking South along Eastern Shore Lk Whatcom
Looking South along Eastern Shore Lk Whatcom
Shoe Shot
Shoe Shot
Looking West over Lk Whatcom
Looking West over Lk Whatcom
Wildlife on Lk Whatcom
Wildlife on Lk Whatcom
Very pleasant, quiet and scenic. I'm looking forward to opportunities to further explore the area. ~E

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
drcormac

drcormac
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 9:09 am 
Elvis, where do you work? At my job, we were also sent home because of the accident up on Lincoln St, that knocked out the power.

Hiker Mama

Hiker Mama
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 10:03 am 
Those are the cleanest, dressiest shoes we've seen in the shoe shot gallery! lol.gif

My hiking w/ kids site: www.thehikermama.com
Elvis
Shuffl'n

Elvis
Shuffl'n
PostThu Feb 28, 2008 9:32 pm 
drcormac - I work off Iowa Street. PM sent. Hiker Mama... I almost brought separate shoes with me to work that day to wear for a walk during lunch, but decided against it. Was glad I had the camera at least.

"Ill habits gather unseen degrees, as brooks make rivers, rivers run to seas." ~John Dryden My Trip List
Sabahsboy

Sabahsboy
PostFri Feb 29, 2008 6:23 pm 
Nice shoes, great falls! Go back on a nicer sky day and get more shots! The lake looks like placid. Name change for Whatcom? Elvis...you could weigh in on that! Maybe the historic name is "ok".

MLHSN
What goes here?????

MLHSN
What goes here?????
PostFri Feb 29, 2008 10:21 pm 
I must admit, I get a little jealous sometimes when I see snowfree trails on the westside reports during the winter. Snowshoeing has a lot of pluses but I find myself dying to fly up a trail in tennis shoes or boots sometimes. I also like many of the ferns and other vegetation on the east side of the rainshadow. Again, the dryer climate of the east can be nice but a change in vegetation is wonderful every now and then. Nice pics up.gif

yew
non-technical

yew
non-technical
PostSun Mar 02, 2008 2:54 am 
drcormac wrote:
Elvis, where do you work?
Not a good question. Not good. Elvis is the "Tony Soprano of Skagit County". clown.gif

"I aint jokin woman, I got to ramble...We gonna go walkin through the park every day." - Led Zeppelin